Date: 28-04-24  Time: 13:10 pm

Author Topic: front sprocket showing shiny wear shine on left side  (Read 2105 times)

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
front sprocket showing shiny wear shine on left side
« on: 27 January 2014, 09:11:47 am »
Changed front sprocket back to stock 16T plus new DID chain 2000kms ago but today when rolling to a stop to park killing the engine noticed louder than normal chain noise.
When I changed over to the new I adjusted chain tension using a vernier calliper for alignment which did not result in exact swing arm notch alignment. I have read before that this is a better method over relying on the factory marked alignment marks.
So today I adjusted chain tension using the swing arm alignment marks as it had been issue free before with regards to front sprocket L side wear.
Is this a known for the Gen 1 Thou I wonder?
ie   vernier or swing arm marks for wheel alignment?

« Last Edit: 27 January 2014, 09:12:26 am by Camshaft »
where does the muffler go?

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: front sprocket showing shiny wear on left side
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2014, 09:12:49 am »
Changed front sprocket back to stock 16T plus new DID chain 2000kms ago but today when rolling to a stop to park killing the engine noticed louder than normal chain noise.
When I changed over to the new I adjusted chain tension using a vernier calliper for alignment which did not result in exact swing arm notch alignment. I have read before that this is a better method over relying on the factory marked alignment marks.
So today I adjusted chain tension using the swing arm alignment marks as it had been issue free before with regards to front sprocket L side wear.

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: front sprocket showing shiny wear shine on left side
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2014, 09:23:00 am »
not very good at posting method  :'( :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol

bill gates could nail it first time

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2014, 01:12:17 pm »
I dont quite understand your method. What are you measuring with the calipers?

My approach is to make sure the chain can barely touch the underside of the swing arm with the marks roughly lined up, partially tighten the wheel, just enough to take up the tension, set the right mark to match the left, check the chain still barely touches the underside, tighten the wheel half way, check the marks, check the chain no longer touches, adjust if necessary, then tighten fully.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2014, 01:55:26 pm »
 I also use Verniers to adjust mine, probably the same method as yourself measuring from the end of the swingarm to the bolt 'stop' using the depth measure.
 My chain is still within the service limits after 31,000 miles, so I guess the chain must be running true using the vernier method (I've never trusted the marks on the swingarm, although they do look roughly at the same wear mark) I changed the front sprocket at 15,000ish which seems to have helped the chain stay in good nick. But, I'll probably replace the lot  before the summer for no good reason other than I don't want to tempt fate (my original chain lasted 28,000 miles).

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2014, 04:39:49 pm »
I have used a vernier gauge before but have found the most accurate way is to wrap a string line round the rear wheel and take a measurement both sides of the front wheel. When using this method the markers on the swing arm never match exactly but when ever I take it for an MOT the tester always uses two aluminium straight edges to check and it is always spot on.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2014, 07:33:56 pm »
When I first bought my bike I used the striaght edge method and found that the swing arm marks were spot on.striaght edge is the best way of checking
One, is never going to be enough.....

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2014, 09:45:23 am »
great advice all will try the straight edge method, however the Left side of my newish front sprocket shows a shine suggesting misalignment I think.. is this common or just nothing to worry about? probably the later

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2014, 09:06:30 am »
How do you use a straight edge?
The rear wheel is wider than the front wheel so surely they are out of line with each other?

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2014, 09:42:12 am »
I thing the straight edge method more refers to using a string line and your eye. Long string placed say 4' in front of front tyre then around rear and back to front tyre + the 4' again. Your eye being the measurer.
Sounds bit dodgy but will have a look at it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370462095167?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
this clamps to rear sprocket with a rod going forwards along direction of top chain travel, seems logical.
Could be an easier way I think.