Date: 17-05-24  Time: 19:40 pm

Author Topic: Hid projector thread: My completion (pretty much)  (Read 1535 times)

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
Hid projector thread: My completion (pretty much)
« on: 20 December 2015, 10:01:35 pm »
Loads of different light types im finally done!

Bought a set of 2.5" hid projectors from ebay here: £25 or so for 2 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331462742506?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The 2.5" are a bit too big but they do work, however if you can get them in 2" then go for it!

The plastic shroud doesn't fit over the projectors once they're in the fzs headlight but it doesn't matter.

I bought both in h1 as i had h1  bulbs, the h4 side of the fazer headlight goes in no problems screw it up tight, the h1 side doesnt fit you dremel the hole out so it fits, took me a few minutes.

You will need to split the headlight in the oven at a warm temperature for 10-15 mins.

Once id fitted it all, put back on bike, wasn't good enough for dark country lane riding with no full beam as i had 2x 55w ballasts + bulbs but when going from dip beam to double dip beam theres not much more extra lighting and you have to wait for it to heat up.

I purchased this wiring loom: £8 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310814227119?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It has a hi/lo controller which activates the electro magnet inside the projector which uncovers the full reflector for full light.

the wiring for this is:

You can buy a different one but this "worked" for me, only problems i found where, labled above, the layout i went for was the shorter ballast  power lead on the right hand side as the h4 plug connector was the same side, the longer ballast power lead is LONG! it must be a good 50cm too long so just coiled it up and cable tied out the way.

The other problem is the battery wire to the h4 connector (back of bike to front) is very tight! its only just long enough so you could make it a bit easier and add a little more length to the positive battery wire.

but once its all laid out its simple.

The next task is to provide the h4 connector on the harness with all 3 pins of power, a lot may have already done it, the headlight mod! under the tank is a blue plug, remove the green wire from the plug and run a lead from that to the white(i think) lead on the wiring harness (the top connection), i had to remove the pin from the wiring harness and used spade connectors on a length of wire.

then simply plug the h4 in, plug the ballasts into the power leads, bulbs into ballasts, its a bit fiddly doing all of this with the masses of wire, plug the hi/lo plugs into the 2 little wires coming out of the projectors and secure them to the fairing or under the tank where mine are.

The 2 earthing wires, the right hand side i connected to the top right allen bolt that holds the mirror bracket to the front subframe and the left side was to the fairing bolt on the left side of the tank.

now turn the ignition on and lights on, now you should have both lights iluminated, if not check the ballast plugs are the right way round and the earths are making contact with bare frame.

switch it to main beam, you should here the flaps inside the projectors open up on both and full beam on both lights.

tada :D

Total time to remove headlight, fit projectors to the fzs headlight and refit to bike: 2 hours taking it easy.
time to wire it all in properly: 30 minutes tops

anyway

pics of the light!
i have to adjust the lights with a couple of washers behind the top of the headlight mount on the subframe as when i put this together i didn't bolt the projectors up straight so at lowest adjustment they're a bit too high with a pillion

dip beam (both iluminated)

Main beam both

Pics don't do it justice however ill try get some when i go out next.

They look much higher in the pics as its on the centre stand.

I think ive covered everything but any questions ill try answer as best i can.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Hid projector thread: My completion (pretty much)
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2015, 03:29:21 pm »
Looks a lot brighter and cleaner light than you had Paul.

I'm still in a conundrum about either doing like yours or just getting an H4 HID bulb for  straight swap with the H4 I've got as I'm fairly pleased with my H1 HID I've got already. My thinking is it's easier to do and a slightly easy to get it back to stock if needed.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
Re: Hid projector thread: My completion (pretty much)
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2015, 04:42:55 pm »
if i where you id spend a fiver on a h4 bulb and just plug it in see how it looks, if it doesn't work then its no real loss.

I dont know why i couldn't get just bulbs to come out too well, i think a lot of it is the reflector is pretty faded and more  white than silver.

the range on these isn't amazing i can see infront of me enough ish but compared to my spotlights the range is about half.

But they look cool and function well!

Worst case you can keep your h1 and just chuck on a spotlight :D

im half tempted to wire my spotlights up for country lane riding at speed so i can see further up the road
« Last Edit: 24 December 2015, 04:44:38 pm by Paulfzs »