Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:17 pm

Author Topic: Servicing/tyres  (Read 906 times)

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Servicing/tyres
« on: 07 July 2013, 05:20:30 pm »
As the bike's due for it's MOT, I thought I'd get the Zeus Motorcycles to do a bit of servicing work at the same time, to save me wasting the decent weather.
Their response was "why do you want to change the fork oil if the seals aren't blown", and "we don't do carb balancing" I didn't even bother to mention the EXUP valve, I doubt they'd even know what it was!
So, having given up on them I thought I'd try my nearest Yam dealer, Woodford Motorcycles. Their response was "we don't like working on bikes more than about  5 years old, try somewhere else".
Now, maybe it's just my imagination, but I thought firms wanted business in a recession, but it would seem these don't!
Checked the bike over to take it for it's MOT yesterday and found an indicator not working. Not to worry, I bought spares when HG went into adminidstration last year.... except I've put them somewhere safe, so I'll never see them again! Spent yesterday sorting the wiring out and it's all working again, so MOT next week instead, and I'll get myself a Carbtune and do the other work myself.
The final issue came today, when I noticed the front tyre didn't look quite right. On closed inspection, there's a definite ridge developing just off the centre line. I've read that this has happened with Avons in the past, but these are Bridgestone BT023s.
So, finally, the questions: does anyone know of a trustworthy dealership/workshop in the Leyton/Walthamstow/Woodford area of London, and has anyone had a ridge develop on Bridgestone tyres before?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Servicing/tyres
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2013, 10:01:44 pm »
You could try Waltham Cross m/cs, high road Cheshunt. Speak to Andy Boulton, say nick crisp sent you. Say hi to all there for me too, if you go. (You can't miss Andy - he's built like a brick shithouse, but the nicest fella you could hope to meet).

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2013, 01:56:42 pm »
ive just had a new set of RP3s for 225 at watling tyres catford.and scrubbed them in with a 300 mile ride yesterday :thumbup

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2013, 02:19:28 pm »
Old bikes can be a nightmare to work on, due to owners not looking after them or keeping them clean (same for old cars).

A book time of 1 hour on a new vehicle can take twice or three times that on older stuff. If they haven't looked after your bike from new I am not surprised they won't touch it.

Good luck