Date: 27-04-24  Time: 02:44 am

Author Topic: Rear wheel bearings  (Read 1277 times)

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Rear wheel bearings
« on: 30 August 2014, 10:37:12 pm »
Got an MOT advisory that the rear wheel bearings are on their way out. As they were replaced within the last year, when I had the wheels powdercoated, I can't say I'm impressed with OE, so has anyone got any recommendations? Bikebearings.co.uk or Wemoto are top of the list at the moment, from what I can find searching on here.

I also see that some people have had problems getting one of the bearings out, any good tips, especially as I haven't got a garage or shed to work in.

witchfinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Rear wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2014, 08:59:47 am »
Your back wheel has probably been overtightened at some point after the new bearings where fitted  :( I cant say I have ever had a problem removing bearings just drift them out carefully and replace with the new bearing I have various sizes of drifts to re fit them ,if you dont have anything you can use the old bearing to tap it in .Do a search for a bearing factor in your area then go and match them up  :) 

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2014, 01:10:05 pm »
It's the caged needle roller that's the troublesome one and usually involves a bit of 'light engineering' to get it out.

You might want to remove the wheel and take it to your local engineering shop to have them do the bearing replacement.

You won't go wrong with Marc at Bikebearings.co.uk ... mention the Foccers sent you. :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2014, 06:31:06 pm »
Well Yamaha don't make bearings so don't waste your cash on way overpriced OE ones.

Get em out and take em or the codes to your local bearing factors, or as Falcon suggests just order em from Mark.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2014, 11:01:53 pm »
Check ebay rear kits priced from £12.50 all the way up to £ 38.00
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer