Date: 26-04-24  Time: 07:47 am

Author Topic: Motorcycle Direct insurance renewal  (Read 2404 times)

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Motorcycle Direct insurance renewal
« on: 28 June 2014, 09:41:54 am »
I know it's been said a thousand times or more, but don't ever just accept your insurance renewal quote without checking the competition!

My insurance is due in a couple of weeks and I hadn't even opened the letter from Motorcycle Direct when I got a phone call from them. The cost had increased by over 50% despite the Gen1, and me, being a year older and no claims or convictions for another year. All they would say was "London postcode and no garage, it's the best we can do".

A check on Compare the Meerkat revealed not only that I could get a better deal from plenty of other companies, but that I could get a better deal from THEM as a new customer, rather than renewing!

I've saved nearly £200 by changing to Bennetts, who I always thought were expensive, and phoned Motorcycle Direct to tell them they'd lost my business. To be fair, the woman I spoke to tried to get their underwriters to see why there was such a difference, but it seems to me that they just aren't trying very hard to keep business.

With all the comparison sites around, there's no excuse for not checking out your options, and, if everyone does it, we may see brokers actually doing some work to find us the best deals. My grandson also gets a meerkat toy, so that's a result too!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Direct insurance renewal
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2014, 10:35:25 am »
I recently did exactly the same move from MCD to Bennetts. Got a call from MCD asking if I was re-insuring with them and just told them I was looking into it. Then went on Go Compare or whatever it was and went for the cheapest. The bike is old and not much value so I don't worry about getting insurance with all the bells and whistles, just want to be legal.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2014, 11:27:56 am »
+3 on that.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2014, 11:37:10 am »
Have been with current insurer for 3 years-I await my renewal notice with interest in September -Have 11 yrs ncd (bikes) & 8 for cage. Am also going to avoid paying instalments which should help keep cost down.Its just a case of getting an equivalent level of cover so dont end up paying "extras" for homestart,recovery,personal injury. its a minefield out there but if we all shop around-maybe they will stop penalising low risk riders/drivers?

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2014, 12:28:24 pm »
I just left bennetts because they refused a cashback without good reason...I had a rant on here last year I recall....but I also noticed they sneakily added a voluntary excess on the renewal docs.....cheeky foccers!

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2014, 12:40:41 pm »

don't forget to claim your toy, I have a nice collection .
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2014, 01:56:54 pm »
I've got two of the little foccers.. Waiting on baby oleg turning up :lol
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

woodwizzard

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2014, 07:50:49 pm »
I have just switched to Bennetts via Go-compare. Was with swinton for four years on my old zx10 for £95ish, switched to the fazer and they wanted £420 :eek . Bennetts have done it fully comp for £84 :D

cbx63

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2014, 09:39:37 pm »
Motorcycle direct want another £30 off me to change my address mid policy , but no policy reduction for keeping the bike in the back garden as opposed to parked on main road..... I so want to say fuck it I wont bother ... but no doubt my conscience will get the better of me....

SWIFTY

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 350LC hybred
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2014, 10:54:31 pm »
 £  89 full comp bennets  vol excess £ 250 but wanted  another £250 composery  that's £ 500 :'(

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2014, 09:53:05 pm »
Just had my renewal from Bennets they wanted £ 101 third party fire and theft , it was £ 89 last year , no accidents an extra years ncb , phoned them up got them down to £ 61 third party fire and theft .

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2014, 10:58:17 pm »
Phoned them up got them down to £ 61 third party fire and theft .
They are just complete fuckers.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2014, 10:52:31 am »
The broker I was with last year wanted an increase of around 40% for this year.  I ended up switching brokers and getting coverage for a few quid cheaper than last year - with the same underwriter!!!  You have to play the game every year to make sure that you are not paying over the odds.   

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2014, 12:22:54 pm »

Huh? Where do you get off calling them fuckers? £61 and they are the fuckers? Exactly why do you think they bother to stay in the business? £61 a year wouldn't pay for the tea and coffee the receptionist drinks, never mind run a profitable business. Pretty soon a whole bunch of insurers are going to be calling you the fuckers and just get out of a seriously overcrowded market. That will leave you paying £300+ or off the road. Then we will see who the fuckers are.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2014, 01:44:20 pm »

Huh? Where do you get off calling them fuckers? £61 and they are the fuckers? Exactly why do you think they bother to stay in the business? £61 a year wouldn't pay for the tea and coffee the receptionist drinks, never mind run a profitable business. Pretty soon a whole bunch of insurers are going to be calling you the fuckers and just get out of a seriously overcrowded market. That will leave you paying £300+ or off the road. Then we will see who the fuckers are.

I read that as they are complete fuckers that you have to phone up to get the best price, they rely on people just paying up.

I am with Carole Nash £198 last year for two riders  age 80 and 52 (me and my dad on FZS 1000 CM post code). This year they wanted £469, bike is year older, no accidents or convictions??????? went to Carole Nash website £189?????? Phone them up and as not renewing we were given new customer discount, so now £169???? £300 ponds saved.

The thing is it seems arse about face, thought you would get better discount staying loyal, but no you have to shop around every year with insurance (all types), bank accounts, utilities etc. Its such a pain that I don't even feel good when I get a better price, just less ripped off.

And don't even get me started on ISA's and savings accounts that drop to 0.1% after 1 year  :\

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2014, 07:35:01 pm »

The thing is it seems arse about face, thought you would get better discount staying loyal, but no you have to shop around every year with insurance (all types), bank accounts, utilities etc. Its such a pain that I don't even feel good when I get a better price, just less ripped off.

Agree completely. Because so many people renew without checking, there seems to be little incentive for them to look very hard for the best quote. It's only when you check elsewhere that you find out they're not doing their job and only then do they try and match it. They should be the ones looking for the cheapest quote, that's what you pay a broker for!