Date: 28-03-24  Time: 07:54 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585007 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8525 on: 26 December 2020, 03:05:09 pm »
Attempted to rebuild the forks having got the lowers back from powder coating. Looks like I have misplaced a couple of parts though :headbang

Anyone got a spare damper seat, the washer that goes on top of the spring (not sure if it is between the spring and the spacer or the spring and the cap) or a copper washer for the bolt that holds the damper in the tube?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: 07 January 2021, 09:09:43 pm »
I thought (for some stupid reason) that because the sun was out I would take her for a spin, was not my wisest decision.
I've always prided myself on being an "all weather" kind of rider but i honestly don't think I've ever ridden in conditions as stupid as I did today.
-1°c ambient temperature, salt all over every main road and ice all over every back one. Managed about 45 minutes before I gave up 😔 had a few minor slips and nearly lost both the front and back on 2 separate occasions add to that the wind chill on my head and neck that was borderline painful was enough to put me off until the Mercury rises again.
Thankfully I'm not at work for the next few months (ever cloud etc) so won't have to use it.

Also as I'm a glutton for punishment I decided to give her a good wash when I got home (with cold water obviously for the salt) followed by a good wax and ACF50 treatment. So all good to be tucked away for a few weeks.

On the plus side my fingers defrosted around an hour ago and seeing as I haven't got to drive tomorrow (or work, or leave the house) so I've had chance to get a few ciders on the go 🍻🍻

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
What did you do 'for' your fazer today ?
« Reply #8527 on: 09 January 2021, 04:23:00 pm »
Bought a bunch of wheel bearing for the bike to get done on the next tyre or c&s change.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do 'for' your fazer today ?
« Reply #8528 on: 09 January 2021, 04:41:40 pm »
Bought a bunch of wheel bearing for the bike to get done on the next tyre or c&s change.

Are those OEM? How much does a full set cost? I still need to get my wheels repowdercoated so will be looking for a full set in the spring

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: 09 January 2021, 05:09:33 pm »
Bike Bearings UK, also known as Marksman Ind, are your best bet. He sells bearing kits for specific bikes. From memory the lot, front, rear and sprocket carrier came to around £50 this time last year for my Gen 1.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: 12 February 2021, 04:38:56 pm »
A trip to the MOT station this afternoon, and a pass with no advisories. First time out on the bike for weeks, jeez it was cold. Only 1,500 miles covered last year though.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: 14 February 2021, 07:59:54 pm »
Only 840 for me,had some problems with my health but ok now and hope to make up for it this year. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: 15 February 2021, 01:22:06 pm »
Only 840 for me,had some problems with my health but ok now and hope to make up for it this year. :thumbup
Should be a change in the MOT rules - if you do less than 1000 miles a rear then you only need one every 2 years.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: 15 February 2021, 01:25:56 pm »
Should be a change in the MOT rules - if you do less than 1000 miles a rear then you only need one every 2 years.

But the you'd just get idiots unplugging their tachos all year just to save £29 🙄 and the market would be flooded with 15 year old bikes that had only done 2000miles haha

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: 16 February 2021, 08:01:07 pm »
Started the yearly clean up, but this year I'm paying more attention to the frame paint and the Givi rack and pannier mounting.
The frame paint arrived today - colour matched!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8535 on: 18 February 2021, 04:53:33 pm »
Thought I'd takeover out for the first time this year. Pulled off the covered, dragged her kicking and squealing (brakes binding) out of the garage and thought i best see if she starts before I bother with anything else.... on the button no problem.
So I let her warm up as I proceed to faff about putting all my armour back into my jeans and jacket. Got all suited up, ear plugs in, helmet on, door locked, garage locked, opened the driveway gate, back to the bike, swung my leg over, caught the gear lever and stalled it. Went to fire her back up..... battery is dies 😭😭😭
Tried for a minute or so to get something going but nope. Had to get all my gear off, get the bike back in the garage...all the locks, removed the battery and that's now on charge for the night.
Next few days weather looking crap so guess that's that for now 😫

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8536 on: 18 February 2021, 11:58:18 pm »
Tried for a minute or so to get something going but nope.

Not even bump starting?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: 19 February 2021, 08:14:35 am »

Not even bump starting?

I'm not gonna lie... I tried it once and thought fuck that! Haha I couldn't be bothered trying again when the charger was sat 10ft behind me on the shelf 😅

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8538 on: 19 February 2021, 01:24:16 pm »

I'm not gonna lie... I tried it once and thought fuck that! Haha I couldn't be bothered trying again when the charger was sat 10ft behind me on the shelf 😅

If I'd got all the gear on and was planning on a ride, I'd give it at least a couple of goes before giving up...!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: 20 February 2021, 08:35:25 am »
Woke the mighty thou up from it's winter slumber yesterday. Started on the second stab of the button. Went for a leisurely trip around the block, just to get it hot, then drained the oil.Next project is to get a few items powder coated, hopefully during this coming week. Then just some general maintenance, brake clean, exup valve lube, oil/filter change, new tyres, then should be all set for another biking year of fun and frolics.
 I was pleased with the usefulness of the SW Motech daypack, that I used all last year, so bought and fitted the larger Sport version, in anticipation of getting some trips in this year. By adding a tank ring to my Triumph, the bags can be swapped between bikes as necessary.
If anyone is in need of a decent tankbag/harness set up, my now redundant one is for sale in the relevant section.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: 20 February 2021, 01:50:58 pm »

Not even bump starting?

I would of done the same, I have access to a slight but short hill in the street outside Sharp hall but the risk is far too great of the bump start not working and my looking a right twat pushing the dead lump back up the hill.

Don71uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: 23 February 2021, 04:06:59 pm »

Gen 1, Passed MOT, only 1400 miles since last year.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: 23 February 2021, 04:20:36 pm »
I ride all year (no choice as I can't afford the car parking at work) so apart from a few days with packed snow on the local roads, I have ridden through all the salt and crap.
Every Monday I've had to force it off the centre stand and crack the front brake off before I can go anywhere, so today I had a day off and decided to wash it, then found I had a loose bolt and spent about 2 hours trying to work out how to get it back in, so I posted on here and got an answer in 10 minutes and had it fixed in another 15 minutes.
Ordinarily I'd be off to the pub for a celebratory pint but that's not gonna happen so I'll settle for a curry tonight!

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: 25 February 2021, 12:05:42 am »
I'm the complete opposite,a proper fair weather rider  :lol  just ordered oil and filter for the start of "my" season,I don't do that many miles,normally 1000 a year but they reckon the oil contaminates using it like that then laying it up for 5/6 mths so I change it and give the oil to any of the local young bods to use because it can't be that bad and them boys are out in all weathers day and night just like we used to  :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: 25 February 2021, 09:45:11 am »
Touched up the frame rails on each side.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: 25 February 2021, 11:34:36 am »
Nice job :thumbup

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: 25 February 2021, 01:29:59 pm »
Well never seems to be good news for me and my Fz1 thses days 😞 thought seeing as the weather is good I'd finally go out for the first ride of the year. Started this time so got all geared up and out I went.
While riding I started to notice another noise coming from the engine (similar to the one I had just sorted out) but wasn't sure if I was just hearing things as I hadn't been on it for a while. Anyway it was causing concern in the back of my mind so I decided to come back after only 20 miles.... well let's just say I must have either a 6th sense or a guardian angel because as I pulled up outside my house my wife asked whats leaking out on my bike. To my shock and horror there is shit loads of oil on the floor, all down the lower left side on the engine and up the side of the rear tyre!!
Upon closer inspection I see that 3 bolts are missing from the oil pump cover and the 4th is halfway out!
What's really confusing is the fact that I have never undone that in my life (I didn't even know what cover it was until I googled it) so my only other theory is that when I took it into the garage to find out what the noise problem was, they must of removed that cover and either not torqued it properly or maybe even missed a couple of bolts?!?
Now I trust my mech whole heartily and he is one of the best in the area (he even does dyno work for Guy Martin) so I'm positive it isn't down to poor mechanics but I can't think of any other way it would have come loose for no reason?
I've spoke to him and he says he doesn't think that cover was removed but he isn't 100%. There are also 2 other mechanics that work there so could possibly have even been one of those 🤷‍♂️
Then to add insult to injury I tried to start it (to get it up the drive into the garage, didn't even think about the oil leak 🙈) and the fucking battery is dead again..... so there is also a problem with the charging system again 😫😫
Im having it collected later so the garage can have a look at it. I'll have to speak to the mechanic a bit more to decide what's going to happen with regards to the cover/leak
Either way I'm happy to have made it home without incident

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: 25 February 2021, 03:33:52 pm »
'kin hell!! there's no way I'd have took it back to that garage,it's so obvious someone there has made a balls up,whether it's Guy Martins mech or Fred Bloggs.That could have been bad news in the wrong situation and if you'd had an accident and had to be taken to hospital the filth would have been all over the bike and put it down to your neglect ! I'd make some excuse and get it back you'll be wondering everytime you go out on it if they've done the jobs right! :eek

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: 25 February 2021, 04:12:10 pm »
'kin hell!! there's no way I'd have took it back to that garage,it's so obvious someone there has made a balls up,whether it's Guy Martins mech or Fred Bloggs.That could have been bad news in the wrong situation and if you'd had an accident and had to be taken to hospital the filth would have been all over the bike and put it down to your neglect ! I'd make some excuse and get it back you'll be wondering everytime you go out on it if they've done the jobs right! :eek

I know what your saying but I've been using him for probably 7 or 8 years now without issue, as have most of my mates. Hes always gone above and beyond for me in the past and I have no reason to distrust him. If it is a problem that's come from his place (which it likely is) then he will no doubt be mortified and will do everything in his power to make it right.
My only other assumption is that there has been a 3rd mechanic helping out during lockdown due to demand so its possible he may have made a mistake? Or at the end of the day its a possibility my guy made a mistake.... we're all human. Either way I'm confident in him enough to know it will be sorted and sorted properly 🤞

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: 25 February 2021, 04:44:52 pm »
Hope I am not tempting fate here but its one advantage of being anal about cleaning your bike and you get very personal and intimate  :eek with every nut and bolt and hopefully you spot things like that straight away.  Good that you heard it though. If I do some major work on my bike I like to ride for a while without my earplugs in so I can hear if anything if not right.