Date: 30-04-24  Time: 20:57 pm

Author Topic: BUS v cage!!!!!!!!  (Read 2842 times)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
BUS v cage!!!!!!!!
« on: 12 September 2012, 06:14:58 pm »
Had a phone call this morning off my other half telling me a BUS had just skittled her!! :rolleyes ....apparantly  she was waiting to join a dual garbageway..when she saw a bus approaching !!,,so she waited for it to pass, (as you do),,,then the bus driver flashed his lights for her to go?...then......BANG!!!!!! :eek .....straight into side of her!!!!...knocking car(ZAFIRA)..off the road onto grass verge!!...now very disstresed she managed to get out the wreck to confront the bus driver(who by the way? had to be  told by someone on the bus to stop!!!!!!!...why he had flashed her to pull out then hit her full on at speed!!...HIS reply was?????....what you talking about?,,,i wasnt flashing you?...i was flashing my mate on the otherside of the road!!!! ...the asshole then said?...i wouldnt bother trying to claim dear as its your fault and i have at least 15 witnesses on board!!... he didnt even ask her if she was ok?...well she,s not and had to go to hospital for a check over!!...they told her she,s got a badly swollen shoulder and neck and it more than likely get worse over next few days!!....rang insurance company ,to be told?...if we havnt got a wittness to see him flash her we havnt got a leg to stand on!! and would more than likely go down as a 50/50 claim!!...and if that did happen she would not be able to put a injury claim in??...any ideas if this is correct?........

glynblue2

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: BUS v cage!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2012, 06:24:25 pm »
Firstly i hope your girlfriend recovery is a quick one,cotrary to belief the flashing of headlights is not a given sign that the driver flashing his lights is allowing anyone to proceed its in the highway code as a notice that the driver flashing his lights to let you know he is there and nothing else.
Unfortunately everyone or nearly everyone take it as a sign that the driver flashing his lights is giving you the right of way which is incorrect,unless that has changed which i believe it hasnt YET.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2012, 06:31:47 pm »
Flashing lights just means "I am here". While the bus driver is undoubtedly a knob (WTF does he need to flash his mate, he seems a few times a day as their routes cross!), he was using his lights to mean just what they mean in the highway code.

I do hope your other half is ok, but I suspect it will end up as 100% her fault, as far as the insurance is concerned  :(

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2012, 07:24:18 pm »
as above mate  :\  speedy recovery to your better half.......my guess is 50/50......bus driver has already said he flashed his lights.....at his friend  :rolleyes ....your better half seeing this thinks thats the signal to pull out....which most people would think  :\

flashing of lights is same as horn in highway code....to let other road users know that you are there....dont think that includes your friends  :rolleyes .....good luck with your claim
One, is never going to be enough.....

james43

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - A cage eugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2012, 07:33:41 pm »
Hi,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they are 100% right.

A similar thing happened to a close friend of mine got flashed out by a car then the same car hit him.

Guy denied he'd flashed and the police said even if he had it is still your responsibility to pull out when it is safe to do so.

Sorry.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2012, 07:35:22 pm »
Doesn't look good :\ . Hope she feels better soon.
Andy

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2012, 07:44:54 pm »
Feccing bus drivers are the bain of my life, they are supposed to be professional drivers, most are stnuc,

one reversed into my wifes 3 week old Mazda6 on a feccing roundabout, his excuse was he was letting someone into a side road, he looked at the car and said there was no damage luckily she took his details from him as there was about £750 worth. 

I hope you get it sorted in your favour and your GF heals quick, at least the car can be replaced and she is not worse than she is.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

UG

• Bitch Dungle.
  • GP Hero
  • DaveG is a moron
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TIGER 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2012, 08:58:09 pm »
Firstly i hope your girlfriend recovery is a quick one,cotrary to belief the flashing of headlights is not a given sign that the driver flashing his lights is allowing anyone to proceed its in the highway code as a notice that the driver flashing his lights to let you know he is there and nothing else.
Unfortunately everyone or nearly everyone take it as a sign that the driver flashing his lights is giving you the right of way which is incorrect,unless that has changed which i believe it hasnt YET.
This info is correct, had a bin lorry hit my car coz he pulled out when a car driver flashed him. He was in the wrong.
DaveG is..... The Deer Hunter

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2012, 10:46:21 pm »
thanks everyone for your input!! like you all say?..doesn,t look too good does it?...also looks like cars a total right off!...ile just wait and see what assessor says?... :\

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2012, 04:09:43 am »
Im sorry to hear about this, light flashers need to start getting punished.

Ive had it with folk flashing lights all the time, does my nut right in, i wish people would just drive and get on with driving, all this fart arsin about flashing lights, then flashing them again as they didnt see you, (or chose to ignore you!), then shaking their heads.

apologies to any lorry drivers also but i really dont need you flashing me back in after ive passed you in a skoda fabia towing a motorbike trailer, im quite sure i can handle that one thanks, your wasting my indicator bulbs by having to join in the flashy light brigade to thank you!

the amount of times im stuck behind some eedgit on the main road who's flashing people out of a junction or crossroad before he turns off, eh mate hang on a minute we're on the main road, not them, get a frickin move on, causes more congestion in the end with people flying off in all sorts of directions instead of just following the highway code.

The one time i dont mind light flashing is to warn each other when mr speedy van man is out on the road with his camera but strangely less people seem to be up for that one because it genuinely is useful!.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

SteveH41

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2012, 07:51:55 am »
Buses p**s me off big time, expect you to give way but never help you out in anyway, I make sure I inconvenience them at every opportunity.

Trust No One.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2012, 09:06:29 am »
metal and plastic can be replaced m8 - hope your missus is ok - thats the important one.

Expensive lesson learned though.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2012, 09:31:26 am »
Hope your wife has no problems recovering. It could have happened to anyone I'd have thought. Unfortunately it's going to be a lesson learnt the hard way.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2012, 09:36:01 am »
Very sorry to hear of your good ladys accident. Hope shes OK-thats the main thing.
Unfortunately headlight flashing has become common practice and its proper meaning has got lost along the way.
A lady friend of mine was driving on an unfamiliar road looking for her left turn off. She thought she had almost reached the correct side road & put her left indicator on. As she drew alongside the turn off she realised it wasnt the one she needed but the next one. She cancelled her indicator & continued to next side road having reapplied indicator & meantime a car waiting to pull out right from the road she wanted had seen her previous left signal and WHILE LOOKING TO HIS LEFT pulled out into her path and did considerable damage to both cars. He then tried to blame her for his ASSUMPTION. The onus is on the one pulling out to make sure that its safe to do so.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2012, 10:27:54 am »
Unfortunately I think she's going to take the hit on this one,  it's not going to be cheap either as you can bet most of the bus passengers will already have been on the phone to one of those "where there's blame there's a claim" parasites & will be sticking in claims for whiplash too.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2012, 11:01:50 am »
Very sorry to hear of your good ladys accident. Hope shes OK-thats the main thing.
Unfortunately headlight flashing has become common practice and its proper meaning has got lost along the way.
A lady friend of mine was driving on an unfamiliar road looking for her left turn off. She thought she had almost reached the correct side road & put her left indicator on. As she drew alongside the turn off she realised it wasnt the one she needed but the next one. She cancelled her indicator & continued to next side road having reapplied indicator & meantime a car waiting to pull out right from the road she wanted had seen her previous left signal and WHILE LOOKING TO HIS LEFT pulled out into her path and did considerable damage to both cars. He then tried to blame her for his ASSUMPTION. The onus is on the one pulling out to make sure that its safe to do so.

Was doing my DAS lessons and the instructor told me that a cars indicator only proves 1 thing : the bulb is working. Never assume
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2012, 11:19:35 am »
Glad ur MRS is okay. I agree with everyone else that she was at fault (legally). Headlights should be used to indicate to others that you are there - that does NOT include "social flashing" ( :lol ) letting your mate know you're  there, so the driver is also at fault and it could be said that he contributed to the accident, in which case a 50/50 may result.
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2012, 12:19:48 pm »
The other one to look out for is the turds who can't signal without flashing their headlights.

For example when you are approaching a right hand turn off a main road and shit head coming the other way signals left but flashes his lights in the process.............................thanx mate, me first................BANG! :'(
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!