Date: 09-05-24  Time: 13:51 pm

Author Topic: rear disc  (Read 2519 times)

brianwtom

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
rear disc
« on: 07 February 2012, 06:07:14 pm »
Hello to everyone,i am trying to change my rear disc on my 04 fazer 600 i have loosend 3 studs but have rounded the heads on the other 2 any body tell me how to get these out thank you very much brian.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: rear disc
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2012, 07:23:56 pm »
If there's still enough of the head left to get some torque with a fresh allen key, try heating the wheel up. I did this by propping it on bricks 10" above a low flame on the gas hob for 20 minutes or so. I insulated the seal for the wheel bearing with by taping over with a few layers of newspaper to prevent damage to the rubber. You just need to get it hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch say 50 to 60ÂșC, any loctite type material will soften and the alloy will expand more than the steel of the bolt making it a looser fit.

Other options are: weld a length of steel to the remains of each head, though this could risk damage to the alloy as localised heating might be too extreme... or simply drill the heads off, lift the old disc off and hope that once the tension is off the bolt the remains will respond to a good soaking in WD40 (or whatever your preferred penetrating oil may be) and the bodger's favourite tool: the mole grip.

brianwtom

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2012, 07:36:28 pm »
ok thank you very much i will try the later great site,brian.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2012, 10:41:54 pm »
Heat, WD40, Molegrips, impact driver.........although not neccessarily in that order  ;)
Fazeriders suggestions are however more concise and ultimately may be the best options. If in doubt and you have failed miserably, take the wheel to your local dealer or even someone like Kwik Fit (I have done this in the past for a similar issue)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2012, 10:48:19 pm »
Get a gas torch heat the head of the bolts dont go mad and DONT let the bolt change colour or you will bugger the temper give it 10 seconds and then try to undo it.  DONT over do the trying if you see what I mean or you will just bugger the bolts further, it should undo with not too much effort, if not give it another 10 seconds and so on.  What you are trying to do is soften the locking agent on the threads once soft it will undo no problem.   
Later