Date: 24-04-24  Time: 06:15 am

Author Topic: Premium grade petrol enhancing performance and mpg  (Read 2693 times)

akula

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Premium grade petrol enhancing performance and mpg
« on: 01 April 2012, 09:56:40 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on premium grade petrol with the fzs600. For example will using a product like bp ultimate petrol give a significant improvement on performance and mpg or is it negligible between using something like tesco brand?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Premium grade petrol enhancing performance and mpg
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2012, 10:27:57 pm »
We actually brought this up in the other thread. Based on what people said (including myself) the bike seems to have no performance gain on higher octane fuels. In fact, mine is a bit smoother on the standard stuff.

Someone did go through and explain in a bit more detail about why etc. Take a quick look through the "MPG" thread though this is certainly a better place to continue the discussion :)

akula

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2012, 09:24:02 am »
Thanks deadeye

thom_1991

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2012, 11:14:17 am »
No chance. Some high performance cars/bikes need the stuff to avoid pinking due to a high comp ratio but no the Fazer doesn't.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2012, 11:42:57 am »
I realised I'd filled up at the premium pump a few times a while back but didn't notice any difference apart from the price (noticed this before the small label on the pump). Guess not looking for improvement is the best way to miss it but then again I wouldn't have seen something that wasn't there.
thou shalt not kick

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2012, 12:05:13 pm »
I used to get slighty better range on my ZX12R on posh petrol but not enough to make up the cost diff
I tend to use it if the bikes been stood for a while to make up for fuel going off,no idea if thats sound though
Its just a ride

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2012, 01:51:04 pm »
In my humble opinion (based on 35 years occasional use of high octane fuel including "Five Star" - if you remember that!)  is ........

Exactly as stated by BigR ... namely it makes a small amount of difference but not enough to be worthwhile.

Having said that, if you could guarantee 98 octane then you could re-jet it for a leaner mixture and get quite a lot more MPG.

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2012, 03:40:47 pm »
"Some high performance cars/bikes need the stuff to avoid pinking due to a high comp ratio "

My brotherinlaws evo went bang , he was told that this was because he was using the cheaper fuel and not the high octane stuff

I think he burnt out the valves and one dropped but it was a while ago now !

I have used it a few times on the thou but only noticed a difference once !

and I think that was due to a much needed service more than anything

peteski

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2012, 12:26:39 pm »
There's two differences these "high performance" fuels have over regular. Firstly they have a higher octane rating, 99-103 depending on where you go. This is a measurement of how much you can compress the mixture before it spontaneously ignites. More advanced bikes, BMW's and the like, have electronics that can detect knocking and advance or retard the ignition to suit. In short, they can tune your engine for the fuel you put in. If we're talking about the carbed FZS600 then there will be no benefits to be had. Secondly the fuel suppliers say these more expensive fuels have extra cleaning elements added to them. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I let people decide for themselves on this point.