Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:59 am

Author Topic: Making all weather textile gloves capacitive  (Read 3480 times)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Making all weather textile gloves capacitive
« on: 04 March 2013, 07:31:41 pm »
Fed up of taking my gloves off to program the sat nav. Don't want to buy new ones. Not keen on sewing metal thread through gloves either.

Any ideas or advance on the following idea?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=370534702591
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Making all weather textile gloves capacitive
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2013, 07:36:25 pm »
Please don't suggest a stylus...  :rolleyes
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Mutleyx

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Fireblade 954
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2013, 07:45:09 pm »
Why use a sat nav?
I don't use one if I take the wrong turning I just carry on and look for sign posts that are going to take me in the right direction to where I want to go (if your on a rideout it's all part the fun) I suppose I am old school lol, the problem with sat navs is you end up relying on them and don't learn anything about what route you have taken!

pete h

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2013, 07:50:16 pm »
My zumo works with the thickest of winter gloves on, are you using a phone?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2013, 07:54:43 pm »
I can think of a few reasons to use a sat nav.

Petrol stations
Back up
In a hurry

It's nice to be able to do it, even if you don't.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2013, 11:57:18 pm »
My TomTom Rider v2 works fine with gloves on...

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2013, 09:57:03 am »
i dont think that conductive glue will work!!!
although it conducts, without being in contact with skin it still cannot hold a capacitive charge.
i have been experimenting with various materials and have still not found something reliable tho.
good luck in your search

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2013, 11:27:14 am »
Capacitive touchscreens work on the principle of disrupting the displays electrostatic field. All you need is a conductor to cause this so in theory, some "glue" with metal shavings (or just some conductive glue) should work fine without the need for it to touch your skin.

I have a pair of leather gloves that are padded on the inside, but I can still use my phone with them. They are older than touchscreen technology so haven't been specially adapted for this use, but my guess would be that real leather is a conductor much like human skin

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2013, 12:47:56 pm »
Capacitive touchscreens work on the principle of disrupting the displays electrostatic field. All you need is a conductor to cause this so in theory, some "glue" with metal shavings (or just some conductive glue) should work fine without the need for it to touch your skin.
its not quite that simple :( the newer displays such as the iphone 4 and galaxy s3 use a type of display that uses mutual capacitance that allows for multi touch, these screens rely on an actual capacitance transfer of charge. so just using a conductor will not achieve anything unless it is somehow grounded or connected through a resistive connection to something else with a different electrical charge. nearly all the  new capacitive stylus rely on the fact that they are being held by a human hand.

the anyglove stuff works by a chemical solution of surfactants (particles that can molecularly bond through various materials/substances) and is then set/glued in place. this substrate then conducts the bodys capacitance through the glove to the touch screen.
that is why the anyglove stuff states that it will breakdown in time /use and depending on the type of material applied too.
im not sure that the anyglove would work so well with proper all weather and waterproof gloves??? but i do like the sound of it!

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2013, 01:12:57 pm »
if you've got a flip up helmet you can use the tip of your nose  :lol
thou shalt not kick

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2013, 01:29:46 pm »
its not quite that simple :( the newer displays such as the iphone 4 and galaxy s3 use a type of display that uses mutual capacitance that allows for multi touch, these screens rely on an actual capacitance transfer of charge. so just using a conductor will not achieve anything unless it is somehow grounded or connected through a resistive connection to something else with a different electrical charge. nearly all the  new capacitive stylus rely on the fact that they are being held by a human hand.

the anyglove stuff works by a chemical solution of surfactants (particles that can molecularly bond through various materials/substances) and is then set/glued in place. this substrate then conducts the bodys capacitance through the glove to the touch screen.
that is why the anyglove stuff states that it will breakdown in time /use and depending on the type of material applied too.
im not sure that the anyglove would work so well with proper all weather and waterproof gloves??? but i do like the sound of it!

Figured as much, hence my "in theory" comment  :lol

I've only vaguely looked at the technology and even then haven't bothered with looking at exactly how the multi-touch systems work :)

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2013, 06:10:29 pm »
in ride magazine there is a set of gloves with a built in stylus on one finger alpinstars jet road glove :lol