Date: 17-05-24  Time: 19:42 pm

Author Topic: Losing a dog  (Read 4917 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Losing a dog
« on: 04 December 2016, 05:32:36 pm »
It's never easy is it...lost my 11 year old lab two weeks ago. Still can't quite get to grips with it. Today I went on a long ride, through the Wye valley and into Wales, then back. It kinda cleared my head, as the bike does, was cold, but I was well wrapped up and the road was ok most of the time. He was a beautiful dog, and the gentlest creature I have ever known. Today helped no end in truth, another reason we all love bikes I guess. The fazer is the best two grand I have ever spent. It turned a cold winter ride along the Wye into something altogether different, and lifted my mood for the first time since I had to take my best friend to the vet, and never got to take him home.. Here's an old bike, ridden by an old man, outside an old castle in Chepstow. Roll on spring, but until then, I'll keep riding the thou, it's an incredible machine In any circumstances

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Losing a dog
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2016, 05:33:46 pm »
Cool old castle, cool old bike..

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2016, 05:57:07 pm »
My heartfelt sympathies fella. My 11- year old lab survived major surgery this year for a tumour that had spread far further than the vet had anticipated.Brought it home to me just how much I love that daft hound (as if I nedeed reminding). I can't imagine the day when he takes the big sleep, hopefully not for a couple of years yet.
I feel your pain....

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2016, 06:10:34 pm »
Thanks mate. Burt broke a front leg badly, and survived the big operation, but the big doses of painkiller he had to be injected with took there toll on his kidneys, which started to fail. He had the accident Saturday morning, I had to make the call Thursday, and held him while it happened. Vets were great, let me go down twice a day for two hours to lay with him.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2016, 06:26:41 pm »
They say 'Time is a great healer' Trouble is while we are waiting it still pains.
I shot my old cat a few years ago, he had kidney failure and I felt that it was my responsibility to send him home.
Stupid I know but I got really upset about losing the old boy, we do get very attached to our pets.
Keep riding Bro  :thumbup

MarkW

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2016, 07:35:45 pm »
Definitely a difficult time, hope the next couple weeks are more peaceful than the last few for you.

It's hard work losing friends after many years together. I dread to think of the night when collie goes away

« Last Edit: 04 December 2016, 07:37:43 pm by MarkW »

judder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2016, 08:11:00 pm »

Hi Ogri48.
I know how it feels to lose your companion of many years, so you have my deep condolences.
It's some years now since we lost our border collie, but it still seems like yesterday. There is an amazing bond between owners and their dogs.
Time heals the pain ( almost ) but you will never forget him. You have your memories, and just remember you were a good, kind friend to him
for all those years and dogs feel that.
So keep riding your Fazer and enjoy it. It will soon be spring.
Best wishes mate !!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2016, 09:00:22 pm »
I only mean this as a light hearted way to perhaps offer a lift up. But its a true story.
My Mother in law was talking about someone's dog and that they had lost it, the story and conversation I was listening to went on for quite some time until I realised that she was talking about a dog that had died. I genuinely thought that the dog was lost as in missing  :o .
All those of a certain age will remember the time when random dogs were just allowed to roam the streets - like cats do now, back then my Dad (Sir Sharp) had a guard dog on the Sharp estate that sometimes got loose and we would find it on the local park with kids stroking him whilst we franticly shouted DONT TOUCH HIM !!!! 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2016, 11:22:23 pm »
Ogri ,
heartfelt sympathies from me and the mrs to hear of your loss.
We've got an 11yr old staffie that we got as a rescue 4yrs ago , she is the greatest dog we've known or owned, she's kinder than our kids , more grateful than our kids ,more loving than our kids , cheaper than our kids including the £6000 for the super vet to mend her cruciate ligament , we love her to bits and we're dreading the day we have to go through the same loss as yourself.
I'm sure memories of your old friend will make you smile again soon
Best wishes

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2016, 06:57:57 am »
Fellers, thanks. I know there's a lot here feel the same about their dogs. Seems to be a common thread amongst bikers. I'll see him again, and one good thing about being old, it shouldn't be too long :-)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2016, 08:16:34 am »
Fellers, thanks. I know there's a lot here feel the same about their dogs. Seems to be a common thread amongst bikers. I'll see him again, and one good thing about being old, it shouldn't be too long :-)

The way you foccing ride it won't be  :lol :thumbup

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2016, 09:00:07 am »
Lost our Staff three years ago and it still hurts, we had him cremated and spread his ashes on his favourite walk, it still brings some solace to walk there occasionally, anyway I know it's a bit trite and soppy but I liked the poem below that someone sent me, all the best. Jonesy

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2016, 10:09:26 am »
We really are a bunch of fekkin Jessies  - me included!

Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about being parted from my little man....

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2016, 11:22:27 am »

*Cough*..Wanna tell us something ??
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2016, 11:25:37 am »
I've had the op :lol

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 December 2016, 04:05:46 pm »
Sorry to hear this fella, it's never easy but time will heal.

We lost a Rescue dog some years ago now having been with us for too short a time.  In his case it was the horrible big C that took him.  We fought for him as he fought for himself but enough was enough in the end.  We took on another rescue dog (same breed and same colour funnily enough) shortly before he passed and again, the big C came along and took her before her time, same type of cancer but not as aggressive although it had stopped the flow of blood to her front leg so it was decided, rather than let her suffer needlessly with removal of the leg (seeing as the cancer would take her eventually), that we'd say goodnight.  The poor thing had gone blind in one eye and then the other before the C came along but she had adapted so well to that.  Still, to lose two dogs to the same C was heart wrenching and seemed so unfair.

On a lighter note, we bought ourselves a Dobermann pup this time.  God is he a hand full  ;)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2016, 06:13:46 pm »
Sorry to hear that dude, that's rough. Burt was a rescue dog, the only lab I've not had from a pup, and he was the softest and most affectionate dog I've ever known.

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2016, 08:04:55 pm »
my sympathy to u dude,,dogs are awesome better than any other pet imho ,all u can do is make sure they have a safe happy life while they are here,
chin up and enjoy the fazer
please god let the sun keep shining

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 December 2016, 08:06:51 pm »

When ordering fork springs they want to know your weight all geared up and ready to ride, I told them 89KG but 95KG when I'm a bit excited  :eek

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2016, 08:38:28 pm »

When ordering fork springs they want to know your weight all geared up and ready to ride, I told them 89KG but 95KG when I'm a bit excited  :eek
First sign of going senile. ---------------
Posting in the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2016, 08:40:10 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

MarkW

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 December 2016, 09:19:02 pm »
 :lol

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2016, 10:01:32 pm »
Some quotes to sum up having a dog. Still miss mine after nearly 30 yrs....had him from a pup. Read them and pick one that's not true.

“A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.”—Robert Benchley (humorist and actor, Broadway Melody of 1938

“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”—Josh Billings (a.k.a. Henry Wheeler Shaw; humorist and lecturer)
“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
Roger Caras (photographer and writer)

“The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”―M.K. Clinton (author, The Returns

“The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.”—Charles de Gaulle (former President of the French Republic)
“The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.”—Johnny Depp (actor, Pirates of the Caribbean

“Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell.”—Emily Dickinson (poet, Hope Is the Thing with Feathers
“Why does watching a dog be a dog fill one with happiness?”  :DJonathan Safran Foer (author, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
“Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.”—Sigmund Freud (psychoanalyst)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”—Robert A. Heinlein (author, Starship Troopers

“When an eighty-five pound mammal licks your tears away, then tries to sit on your lap, it’s hard to feel sad.”  :DKristan Higgins (author, In Your Dreams)

“There are times when even the best manager is like the little boy with the big dog — waiting to see where the dog wants to go so he can take him there.”—Lee Iacocca (former president and CEO of Chrysler)
“Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.”  :lol —Franklin P. Jones (humorist and PR executive)
“A dog can’t think that much about what he’s doing, he just does what feels right.”―Barbara Kingsolver (author, Animal Dreams: A Novel

“When the Man waked up he said, ‘What is Wild Dog doing here?’ And the Woman said, ‘His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always.'”—Rudyard Kipling (author, The Jungle Book

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”—Dean Koontz (author, Whispers

“Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”—Groucho Marx (comedian)
“Dogs don’t rationalize. They don’t hold anything against a person. They don’t see the outside of a human but the inside of a human.”—Cesar Millan (dog trainer)
“Dogs never bite me. Just humans.”—Marilyn Monroe (actress, Some Like It Hot

“No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.”—Christopher Morley (author, Kitty Foyle)
“If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.”—Phil Pastoret (author, Our Boarding House:lol
“I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the role model for being alive.”—Gilda Radner (comedienne)
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”—Will Rogers (actor, Connecticut Yankee [VHS]

“The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.”—Andy Rooney (contributor, 60 Minutes)[size=78%]

“If you eliminate smoking and gambling, you will be amazed to find that almost all an Englishman’s pleasures can be, and mostly are, shared by his dog.”—George Bernard Shaw (playwright)
“I’ve seen a look in dogs’ eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.”—John Steinbeck (author, The Grapes of Wrath

“You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.”—Robert Louis Stevenson (author, Treasure Island
“If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.”
James Thurber (author, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
“Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”—Mark Twain (author, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
“A dog will teach you unconditional love. If you can have that in your life, things won’t be too bad.”—Robert Wagner (actor, The Longest Day[/size]
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 December 2016, 09:17:37 am »
Lock your dog and your wife in the boot of the car.
When you return an hour later, who's pleased to see you?

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2016, 11:26:24 am »
Just brilliant fellers.. :)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 December 2016, 09:01:39 pm »
Sad tale that Mr Ogri, we love our doggies,, poor doggie I rekon,,, any way, I aint far from you , get your ass up the A49 for a cuppa, or a ride out close, far,,who knows,,you found the café just out of Abergavenny yet, the Steel horse or summat like that, a biker café ?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.