Date: 22-05-24  Time: 02:23 am

Author Topic: Brake light flasher  (Read 5769 times)

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
Brake light flasher
« on: 03 July 2015, 09:02:16 pm »
One thing I really like on a bike is other people knowing when I am braking so I like to fit additional light and recently I have discovered brake light modulators and this was my first job on my FZ.
I have bikevis bullet V2 LED's, £32 for two red and two white, and a small flasher unit, there are many many types available for around £30.
I only remembered to take pictures when it was back together, sorry.

It is a relatively simple job.
Remove the whole rear end.
Take out the light, measure and drill holes for the cables.
Line them up and stick them in place.
Rebuild the rear end, dismantle rear end and fit the flasher unit, rebuild the rear end again.
Refit the rear end.
Run the cables through and join as per instructions.
Check you have it right and it should look like the video below.

I prefer to have the light spread as far apart as possible but the rear of the FZ1 is quite tight so I had to have the new ones on the light unit but the effect is OK.

http://youtu.be/JsxLjkmm5m4

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Brake light flasher
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2015, 10:11:31 pm »
Nice idea, but it would be an MOT failure:

Reason for Rejection: 1. A stop lamp

a. does not illuminate immediately a brake applies

b. emits other than a steady red light

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2015, 02:10:25 am »
Well the flashers are in addition to the standard brake lights... so I would have thought at least a sympathetic MOT tester would pass it

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2015, 08:14:58 am »
Well the flashers are in addition to the standard brake lights... so I would have thought at least a sympathetic MOT tester would pass it

That's right.
They are additional to the main brake light and they have been passed on other bikes.
I was concerned the first time I did it so I went to two local MOT testers and asked, both of them were OK with it the way it is, if I had done it to the main unit then yes, it would have been a failure.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2015, 02:50:37 pm »
Christ we're venturing into arsehole cyclist territory.  The only saving grace is the solid red still remains,  for now anyway  ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2015, 03:37:19 pm »
More and more cars are coming with something like this as standard as well nowadays, the lights flash under emergency braking. Looks a neat install that does mate:)

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2015, 04:00:18 pm »
More and more cars are coming with something like this as standard as well nowadays, the lights flash under emergency braking. Looks a neat install that does mate:)

Cheers Mick

Christ we're venturing into arsehole cyclist territory.  The only saving grace is the solid red still remains,  for now anyway  ;)

If it stops some asshole car driver going in the back of me I am happy to be like an asshole cyclist.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2015, 06:07:15 pm »

Instead of wiring it to the brakes, have a switch on the handlebar.
Then when you pass one of those arsehole cyclists with a strobing 10W Cree searing holes in your retina you can flick the switch to retaliate. :lol

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2015, 06:53:34 am »
agreed cars are using LED's more but I've not seen any flashing yet.

If it stops some asshole car driver going in the back of me I am happy to be like an asshole cyclist.
If an arsehole driver (get them in vans, lorries and on bikes too) is going to go up your arse it'll happen regardless of flashing lights.
  can you post a video clip of them working.

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2015, 08:01:01 am »
I posted a you tube link of them working, I do not know how to embed the video into the post though.

Click this link to see them
http://youtu.be/JsxLjkmm5m4

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2015, 11:32:17 am »
Usually the full link works and embeds automatically; the forum doesn't seem to do it with the shorthand ones

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2015, 11:40:51 am »
Thanks Deadeye
They look a bit pathetic in the video, from my phone, but they are a lot brighter in real life (over 60 lumens) and they do catch peoples attention.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2015, 11:56:53 am »
Totally agree that more light to show your stopping/slowing down is a good thing. I added another brake light onto my fazer and it shows up really well so I've been told by my mates.

Only thing I'd I've done on your mod, which is a great idea btw :) is put an inline fuse or bullet connector on the positive wire, then for Mr MOT guy, you'd just remove the fuse/bullet connector, original lights would work as per 'paperwork' and as the MOT is only as good as the time it's tested, you'd be ok, then put fuse/bullet connector back in after. Jobs a good yun :)
« Last Edit: 05 July 2015, 12:07:04 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2015, 12:04:43 pm »
Totally agree that more light to show your stopping/slowing down is a good thing. I added another brake light onto my fazer and it shows up really well so I've been told by my mates.

Only thing I'd I've done on your mod, which is a great idea btw :) is put an inline fuse or bullet connector on the positive wire, then for Mr MOT guy, you'd just remove the fuse/bullet connector, original lights would work as per 'paperwork' and as the MOT is only as good as the time it's tested, you'd be ok, then put fuse/bullet connector back in after. Jobs a good yun :)

Thats a good job yourself  there Sinto.
I have had people telling me how effective they are on ride outs and they really catch people attention.
My modulator has an off switch so if the MOT guy has an issue with it I can turn it off, but I have had other bikes MOT'd with the flashers running with no issues so it should be OK.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 July 2015, 12:12:52 pm »
Cheers stewie,  it does the job, so I'm chuffed with it and I've got two daylight running lights in front too so I like to be seen, as tesco says "every little helps" :)
I didn't realise you had a on/off switch or I wouldn't of suggested my idea :lol
Yeah, you should be good for that come MOT time :)
Colin
----------------------

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 July 2015, 12:31:59 pm »
I have some white ones for the front as well but removing the fairings is a proper faff so I haven't got round to it yet.
I am planning on picking up a rad guard from Evotech performance tomorrow so I will look into fitting the lights at the same time when the fairings are all off.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 July 2015, 12:38:35 pm »
Mines are just on with one bolt that goes into top of rad guard, easy install :)
Was contemplating puting them onto fairing somewhere but didn't fancy drilling the fairing :(
Colin
----------------------

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 July 2015, 12:43:36 pm »
Mines are just on with one bolt that goes into top of rad guard, easy install :)
Was contemplating puting them onto fairing somewhere but didn't fancy drilling the fairing :(

On my Versys I have put them on the indicators, I drilled through the stalk and ran the wires through the stalk and I think I will do the same on this one as it is easier to replace the indicator than hiding he's drilled through the fairing.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 July 2015, 12:53:24 pm »
I'm looking at the stick on led strip lights that change to indicators to put on my mirrors, they look really cool and as they're higher on the bike, more visibility, but I'll also keep my original ones too :)
Colin
----------------------

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #19 on: 05 July 2015, 11:57:42 pm »
They are additional to the main brake light and they have been passed on other bikes.
I was concerned the first time I did it so I went to two local MOT testers and asked, both of them were OK with it the way it is, if I had done it to the main unit then yes, it would have been a failure.

Ah, ok, I see the difference now :thumbup