Date: 27-04-24  Time: 21:43 pm

Author Topic: Another f'in puncture  (Read 2911 times)

Nosobrut

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda x11
    • View Profile
Another f'in puncture
« on: 10 November 2013, 08:16:44 pm »
In the last 3 weeks I've had 4 punctures 2 new rear tyres and both the rears I've had repaired. Last week had the new rear repaired at universal tyres Greenwich[mates run it]then through the Blackwall tunnel picked up a job in Whitechapel going west .Got to Upper Grosvenor st outside the US embassy donk! donk! donk!.Pulled over ,a screw in the middle of the front  tyre must be quite long because the donks I heard was the screw hitting the mudguard .Didn't pull it out, going to need another tyre on the front soon so I'll leave it in .A dear old game going to work, spend more on this bike than I do the wife.I know dispatching your riding on all the dirty parts of the road up the gutters down the outside of the traffic ,but is anyone else finding more more crap your riding over

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Another f'in puncture
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2013, 08:30:14 pm »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2013, 08:35:59 pm »
Another crafty plug for crafty pluggers....you getting commission on those Exup?  ;)   :lol

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2013, 06:42:12 am »
U would think so the way i go on about it but its just a wicked repair kit that has gotten me outta the shit MANY times. @ £20 thats 2 quid per fix. And it will last the life of the tyre. I got 3 in my work bike and 1 in the fazer at the mo.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2013, 06:58:53 am »
U would think so the way i go on about it but its just a wicked repair kit that has gotten me outta the shit MANY times. @ £20 thats 2 quid per fix. And it will last the life of the tyre. I got 3 in my work bike and 1 in the fazer at the mo.
....are they any good for car tyres exup?

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2013, 07:19:48 am »
I dont know of anyone using it on a car and i know tons of couriers who use it but provided the hole is screw sized and a clean hole i dont see why not. There are similar kits for cars but they involve rasping out the hole to bake it wider before fitting a much thicker plug. Big no/no makin the hole bigger. That will defo fook up the tyre. With this kit u can plug screw size hole without makin the hole any bigger.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2013, 07:30:08 am »
cheers for that?  think ile pick one up and try it then? ;) ..went to get puncture done last wk,wanted to charge me £15 plus vat :eek ...was only size of a panel pin!!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2013, 08:51:54 am »
Looks like a good piece of kit and a piece of piss to use.

Luckily it's been years since I had a puncture, so wondering how much are the inflation cylinders as per plug kits and how many do you need to inflate a 160 Fazer rear enough to get going again?
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

twosheds

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2xXJ600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2013, 09:11:28 am »
feel for you Nosobrut, had my share too - expensive business one way and another. Ashamed to say I just call up my rescue (auto aid) and they usually take me to the nearest bike tyre place. Once had that goo (green stuff) in but my mechanic made such a fuss about what a mess it was to clean out that I don't go down that route.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2013, 10:12:47 pm by twosheds »

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 November 2013, 12:30:54 pm »
A mate got a 6mm bolt in his rear tyre it was hitting his hugger so he got a twig pulled the bolt out pushed the twig in and rode it (ZX12R) about 5 miles to get it fixed, a lot of places won't repair Z rated tyres something to do with the speed ? although on the road you won't be going over 70 mph?

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2013, 12:42:14 pm »
....are they any good for car tyres exup?
You obviously didn't read the text in the picture :D

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2013, 03:23:50 pm »
Hi Lawrence. I did read it but just don't know of ANYONE who has used them on a car. Even the guys i buy the kit from only use it on bikes. Still itchin fer another go on ur mates blackbird when he goes on holiday again :-)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2013, 04:57:57 pm »
a lot of places won't repair Z rated tyres something to do with the speed ? although on the road you won't be going over 70 mph?

I have Puncturesafe (Ultraseal) in my tyres although, thank the gods, I've never needed it to work.

The "Can't replace Z-type tyres" bit does strike me as nonense. Yes, they're rated at up to 150mph and, yes, it may be unsafe to repair them if you're going to do 150mph, but unless you're going on a track day, you're never going to be doing that sort of speed.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 November 2013, 07:39:30 pm »
I think if you do a lot of filtering you tend to pick up punctures more often because you're riding in  areas of the road where other vehicles don't go so all the crap builds up and you ride through it

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 November 2013, 07:52:11 am »

Luckily it's been years since I had a puncture, so wondering how much are the inflation cylinders as per plug kits and how many do you need to inflate a 160 Fazer rear enough to get going again?

They're a bag of shite!
I carry a £15 halfords compressor under the seat,  plugs into cigarette socket attached to the battery!
Some say...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2013, 12:27:19 pm »

They're a bag of shite!
I carry a £15 halfords compressor under the seat,  plugs into cigarette socket attached to the battery!

I'm guessing that'll be a "no" then to the inflation cylinders  :rollin

Your 2p worth on the Crafty Plugger please. Speak your mind this time  :lol

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 November 2013, 12:32:32 pm »
Always been a big fan of the crafties , better and easier than others I've tried in the past, think I'm on about my 4th/5th tube at!
Some say...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 November 2013, 12:45:13 pm »
Always been a big fan of the crafties , better and easier than others I've tried in the past, think I'm on about my 4th/5th tube at!

Mini compressor and Crafty set added to weekend shopping list. :thumbup

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 November 2013, 01:17:29 pm »
Not forgetting a lighter socket if you not already got one, or alternative power connection!

It's one of those funny things to have- not necessary 99% of the time but when you don't have to wait for recovery and it takes 10 minutes tops to fix and inflate you're glad you have the stuff!
Some say...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2013, 01:49:26 pm »
No lighter socket but I'm sure a set of croc clips will do!

You're right with the 99% bit - and I hate getting caught out! Already carry bulbs, fuses, tools, wire, electric & duck tape, choccy bloc etc.