Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:23 pm

Author Topic: Clutch not engaging...  (Read 1033 times)

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
Clutch not engaging...
« on: 24 March 2014, 01:07:40 pm »
Went to take the bike to work today, wheeled it out of the garage, started her up, clutch in, 1st gear, all ok.  Clutch out and nothing!  Bike was running, but the clutch wasn't doing anything, it was like i had the clutch lever held in.
Parked it up and took the car, so no major drama.
During the week, i'd decided to adjust the clutch cable at the engine end, as i was almost out of adjustment at the lever.  I took the sprocket cover off and had a look in there, and realised that was not the way to do it!  Put the cover back on, founf the adjuster cover, popped that off.  Slackened the nut, tightened the screw, backed it off a touch and tightened the nut.
Sounds simple enough, but could i have fugged something up along the way?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch not engaging...
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2014, 02:05:39 pm »
Think about it. It's acting as if the lever is being pulled even when it's not right? So the cable must be adjusted too tight. Slacken off the cable and you should be sorted. It's easy to over tighten the adjuster. Takes a bit of trial and error to get it bang on ;)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2014, 05:26:35 pm »
Put the bike in first and back off the screw until you can no longer roll the bike (engine off - don't want any accidents). Then in neutral start the bike and test gears again - you will probably find you need to back off the screw a tad more :)

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2014, 09:25:14 pm »
I think the screw tightened a bit when I tightened the nut. Didn't have a deep ring spanner so made do with socket.

Have slackened off a touch and seems ok now (tested in garage but not on road)

Cheers