Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZ6 / Fazer

FZ6 S2 misfire on cyl 3

(1/1)

ed1801:
Hey there,

Long time no post - it is a testament to the reliability of these bikes. :) '58 S2 ABS 600

Ok, recently I went on holiday for a couple of weeks. When I got back and went to work on my fazer, after a mile or so it started to run on 3 cylinders. Thinking it had got wet and would dry out, I carried on (gently) and back home. This didn't fix it. It runs ok at low load and between 4-8ish k rpm, it will miss if you put throttle on, or stray out of this rev range.

I found the plug cap wasn't properly seated on that cylinder (No. 3 has a cold manifold pipe), so pushed it back on, which was a right PITA (I have a lower fairing which needed to come off). No change. I pulled the plug, looks alright, changed it anyway, no change. Took the lead off and and put the old plug on the lead and started it, swore as 50000 volts went up my arm, used a jump lead to earth the plug, started it and have good spark.

I'm pretty sure now there is no problem electrically.

I presume I am not getting enough fuel through this injector. The injectors are wired in pairs from the ecu as far as I can tell from the wiring diagram, so if there was a fault that end both 2 & 3 would be misfiring. This makes me think the injector on cylinder 3 is now at least partially blocked. Presumably this happened because it stood for a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any other ideas i have missed? Re: cleaning the injector, I am lucky enough to have an ultrasonic cleaner at work and as many solvents as I need. Is the cleaning procedure just to put it in the bath in ethanol, or does it have to be fired whilst in the bath? Is there a particular solvent I should use?

Thanks!

Ed

ed1801:
Well that was wrong too, swapped injectors 3 and 1 and still 3 doesnt fire. Not injectors, not spark... I'll try tracing the wiring...

ed1801:
Ok, I feel really silly now, swapped the HT leads and the misfire moved. Should have done that ages ago - still I know for next time :)

So is either cap, HT lead or part of the coil pack.

red98:
nice one ed....solved that one on your own  :rolleyes :rolleyes ......if that was me i would try the caps first  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version