Date: 20-05-24  Time: 07:31 am

Author Topic: It's goodnight from me...............  (Read 2852 times)

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
It's goodnight from me...............
« on: 20 August 2013, 01:40:18 pm »
hi all
after my crash i have been doing some serious thinking about whether to get another bike or not.
i was very lucky in my accident not to break or seriously damage anything (except the bike which will be written off)  :'( .
when i first got my bike i was single, but now i have a girlfriend with 2 children and i saw how much my "off" affected her (and to some degree it still is).
as such, i don't think i could put her through something similar (or worse) so it is with a heavy heart that my leathers will be hung up, at least for a while.
ride safe all.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Re: It's goodnight from me...............
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2013, 01:47:53 pm »
I had a sports bike when the kids were young and thought better of it.

Now they're grown up, I'm back on it and the missus doesn't seem that bothered anymore!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2013, 01:50:30 pm »
Sorry to hear that buddy, perhaps because bikes arent some peoples only means of transport it is easier to hang up the leathers but just a small point for thought...would you stop driving if you had a car accident???,

Anyway im not trying to have a go & only you know what is best for you & the family & it must be crap so i wish you all the best & hope you get back to biking before too long & maybe not being a stranger on here will get the enthusiasm up again.

Take it easy

Fras 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2013, 02:01:41 pm »
Fully understand why you think that way and good that you're thinking about your other half so considerately.

Before you make your final decision ask yourself how much riding a bike means to you. For me it's my greatest passion and I wouldn't want to stop for anything. Even after a nasty crash and four harmless crashes during a three year racing spell, I'm still hooked. And my wife fully understands. Yes she's been upset about me smashing myself up (and she's seen a lot worse as she works in a hospital), she's even been there when its happened, but she still supports me. And I had to stop myself being a hypocrite when she wanted to learn to ride. I didn't want her to as she means everything to me. But she doesn't stop me so how could I stop her? Plus it made a nice Christmas present for her as I bought her a 125 for learning on.

If bikes do mean a lot to you then how about just doing track days? A track is the safest place to ride a bike (I know some will disagree) and you have more fun than riding on road. If you have an off it usually isn't too bad, plus where else would you have a medic on the scene within 60 seconds if you needed them?

But if you do decide to hang the leathers up I'd suggest getting back on a bike at least once before you do, to follow the age old adage of "getting back on the horse". That way your last ride wont have ended in a crash and you can clear your head of it.

Hope that makes some sense and just to be clear I'm not being critical of either you or your girlfriend, far from it.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2013, 02:04:50 pm »
no worries all :)
my life was in a very different (and dark) place when i got the bike and i used it as an escape from reality.
i am in a hugely better place now and i used the bike as a toy and "because it was there".
it won't stop me for long, just long enough to make sure the kids are sorted and the g/f is well provided for should the worst happen.
if i get the chance i'll have another quick blast before hanging the leathers up.
and yes, i'll still be lurking on here  :D

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2013, 02:05:16 pm »
and it's goodnight from him.....

Hey,

I can totally understand and respect your decision but don't stay away forever.  ;)

Don't forget the amazing feeling of being on a bike and the reasons, whatever they were, that you got into it in the first place. Having family can obviously change your priorities but when the time comes then really consider getting a bike again and discuss it with them rather than spring it on them when you turn up on a new bike sometime down the line.  :D

As Fraser said, don't be a stranger on here  :D

I wish you and your family all the best,

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2013, 05:26:16 pm »
Sorry to hear that but I understand I put my Fazer off the road for a couple of years when I found my wife was expecting, she did not ask me to but she was happy I did the bike went back on the road after a while but I think if I had sold it I would not have bought another kids can be very expensive, but as the bike was still there it was just the usual tax and ticket then some insurance and ready to go sub £200 and it was back on the road.
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2013, 04:46:48 pm »
I didn't get a bike until I was married for 13 years and had
 2 children but that's a different story.

It's your choice but you have to do what makes you happy.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2013, 07:23:12 am »
we all have had some degree of layoff for personal reasons. I know how much pleasure ( and pain) a bike can bring. I am glad I kept going. Have had some incredible rides and experiences in last 15 yrs, which I would not trade for the world.
I think there is a novelty with bikes for sure, and maybe I have got through all the " firsts" eg first trackday, first kneedown, first foreign tour, tec. But feel now I am just enjoying being on my bike for the " freedom" and easy performance it brings.Nothing can explain just why wew rid ebikes I am sure, but I am happy every time I swing the leg over even if its just a quick local ride.

Hang up ur leathers if it suits, but dont write off ones biking career for an isolated incident.

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2013, 09:45:11 am »
we all have had some degree of layoff for personal reasons. I know how much pleasure ( and pain) a bike can bring. I am glad I kept going. Have had some incredible rides and experiences in last 15 yrs, which I would not trade for the world.
I think there is a novelty with bikes for sure, and maybe I have got through all the " firsts" eg first trackday, first kneedown, first foreign tour, tec. But feel now I am just enjoying being on my bike for the " freedom" and easy performance it brings.Nothing can explain just why wew rid ebikes I am sure, but I am happy every time I swing the leg over even if its just a quick local ride.

Hang up ur leathers if it suits, but dont write off ones biking career for an isolated incident.
so true
definitely won't be the last time i ride, just not right to do so now.
might even try and get back into motocross  ;)