Date: 02-05-24  Time: 12:06 pm

Author Topic: Looking at buying a FZS600 again.  (Read 5869 times)

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Looking at buying a FZS600 again.
« on: 12 July 2016, 11:51:55 am »
Hi all.
I've been off the site for a while after having a bit of a break from biking but looking at getting back into it.
I've come across a 2000 FZS600 Fazer at my local dealership, ive not been to see it yet, but going this afternoon.
Its done 36k miles and going for £1000 as its was taken in part ex against a new bike.
Not sure what the exhaust is, as the pictures not great and its had a mod on the front headlights.
Not sure what people think?
I used to own a FZS600 very similar to that one just in black and also had a FZ6 but wasnt too impressed.

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at buying a FZS600 again.
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2016, 11:57:57 am »
Doesn't look too bad for a grand, though I'd be interested to see what the stickers are hiding.  :rolleyes

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2016, 12:22:51 pm »
I can confirm that is a fzs600. Buy it!

As long as it's had regular oil changes, stops and goes and the gearbox is behaving. Buy it! It's not until around 50k they are considered high mileage and even so nothing is that expensive to change. If it has a good service history (valve clearances checked, cam chain changed?) it's on the money. Use it's general condition to haggle on price (tyres, scratches and scrapes, corrosion, chain and sprockets?)
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2016, 12:55:08 pm »
Hopefully the stickers are only hiding the paint underneath and nothing else.
Not a huge fan of stickers all over a bike, but will have a look, hopefully not been on there too long to effect the paint work.
Spoke to the guy about it and going to view later, then if it looks ok i will test ride it tomorrow at some point and take it from there.
Just need something to get me to work and back, about 14 mile a day commute.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2016, 01:23:11 pm »
It may just be shadows, but it looks like the seat has been lowered. Other than that, it looks good for the money, especially from a dealer where you will get a warranty.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2016, 01:29:29 pm »
Just need something to get me to work and back, about 14 mile a day commute.
Seven miles each way... surely a pushbike would suffice?   :pokefun

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2016, 02:45:13 pm »
Hi all,
Just been to look at the bike on my lunch break as didnt want to wait until i had finished work.
As a whole the bikes seems pretty nice, one sticker on the front of the bike seems to cover a fibre glass repair from what looks like a hole to attach a camera bracket? the rest are just to balance it out.
The front indicators, although not brilliant, don't look too bad and the engine and exhaust sound ok, but cant test ride it until tomorrow as need to dig my gear out the loft.
The one big thing that might be a deal breaker is that shows the mileage as 36,383 and pretty sure thats what it said on the clocks, but cant honestly remember (will be making a phone call in a minute) but when i did the MOT history check now that i know the reg it shows up a few inconsistencies with the mileage.
its a bit hard to explain but the Reg is V686 TAV, i used the    https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/    looking at the DVLA stuff it seems to show some mots were done in miles and some in Kilometers? 
I've not come across this before?
Dont know what you guys think about this??

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2016, 02:56:38 pm »
[Quote/]Headlamp masks/converters fitted [/quote]

This says to me it may be an import. Nothing to really put me off though and may explain the lower price.

My guess is that all of the MOT's have been done on Kms. 57,404Km = 35877.5miles

Someone may have changed the speedo and done a mileage correction on there.

gingernut

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2016, 03:03:00 pm »
It looks all right , if its got lots of paperwork etc service , receipts etc , check the cam chain noise , the carbs rubbers , has it reg oil changes etc… mines is the same colour scheme , but 57800 miles and still pulling strong

Ginge

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2016, 03:07:11 pm »
There is some kind of black tape on the headlight at the bottom, like a black strip.
Its hard to tell if its just a mistake by the mot guy putting in miles as KMS.
The Mot mileage does seem to flow in the right direction with just that issue of the miles/KMS confusion?
I do like the bike and would be a shame to pass on it, but not sure what issues i might have with the head lights if its an import?
Sorry, I'm not very technical and probably stuff that's blatantly obvious to everyone else.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2016, 03:08:29 pm »
No issues at all really. They would just "kick" the wrong way meaning some tape would be needed to pass the MOT and stop dazzling on coming traffic.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2016, 06:02:27 pm »
You can access the bulbs pretty easily, I would be surprised if it is not easy to change the beam direction(?!)

When you apply for insurance, it flags up if a bike is an import. I'm not sure what impact it would have but it's probably worth exploring.

I would just make an offer of £800/850 cash and let fate decide.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2016, 06:09:08 pm »
I've never done it but headlight adjustment doesn't sound that difficult.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=4607.0
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2016, 08:48:36 am »
The "kick up" is not adjustable. It is something the lens/reflector handles. The only way to get it right is to replace the headlamp assembly. The cheap, and normal, way to do it is to put some black tape on the lens in the right place.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2016, 10:27:26 am »
Well i went back into the dealership last night to speak to the guy about the bike and to check on a few bits and at the minute still a bit 50/50 as to whether i have it as the guy was playing the old "sold as seen" - "trade bike" thing, although after i explained to him that it wasn't listed as that in the advert and I'm buying through a dealership  as a normal customer then I'm covered by consumer law and the bike has to be fit for purpose.
I'm just waiting for a call back from head office to see where we stand with it as I can appreciate if you buy a bike private you've not got much come back but this is through a dealer and i at least want a little bit of piece of mind (just incase)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2016, 06:55:33 pm »
Looks pretty good for the money but there's plenty of them around so don't be afraid to walk away if you're not happy with it

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2016, 07:46:01 pm »
Looks nice,  I do like the two tone fazers,  the exhaust looks like a blueflame twinport,  it will sound nice,  check that the baffles are in

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 July 2016, 09:57:06 am »
Hi all.
Well after a bit of two and frowing with the dealer i finally had the bike ( with a 14 day return policy)
I didn't notice when i looked at the bike that the clocks were actually in KMS not MPH, but knew that the mileage was in KMS.
The weird thing is when riding to work today i noticed that that on the speedo when the traffic was doing 30 it was saying 30KMS on the clocks, when i would of though it should say 50KMS and again when doing 50MPH, if that makes sense?
Also when i got to work i checked the trip computer and it said i had travelled 6.7, which is the exact distance it is to my work in miles? so i am wondering now if they have somehow managed to covert the clocks to MPH and the mileage of the bike is closer to 58 k rather than 38k which is what is was sold as?
So wondering if £1000 for a bike with that mileage is as good as deal as i first though??

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 July 2016, 10:49:13 am »
Could try and get in touch with the previous owner, he/she should be able to clear up the issues.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 July 2016, 11:02:38 am »
There is Gov website where you can check every mot the bike has had which also records the milage that may shed some light on it.
Insnt there an in line gadget that converts the needle position
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 July 2016, 11:15:52 am »
Could try and get in touch with the previous owner, he/she should be able to clear up the issues.

I did have a look to see if i could track down the owner but the paper work with it on must be at the dealers. :-(

There is Gov website where you can check every mot the bike has had which also records the milage that may shed some light on it.
Insnt there an in line gadget that converts the needle position

I had a look on the MOT history checker website - the bike reg is V686 TAV - it shows a mix of mot's recorded in miles and KMS so hard to tell which is correct.
I am taking it out at lunch at work as have found a route around here that's exactly 2 miles so will do that and check clocks and see if its recording distance in miles or KMS, but as i am very familiar with how far it is from work to my house and use the same route every day i know i couldn't of done it in 6.7kms as is pretty much 6.7 miles.
Starting to look alot more like a 58k bike.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: 19 July 2016, 11:17:16 am »
There is an electronic module you can get that plugs between the sensor and the speedo to convert the pulses received from kmh to mph. It effectively makes the needle point to the right number so 30 is 30. You should have a little sticker on the glass of the speedo covering where it says kmh with mph to make it all legal but its not necessary if you know.
When this box is fitted, the odometer will start to increase in miles rather than kilometres too.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2016, 11:25:25 am »
There is an electronic module you can get that plugs between the sensor and the speedo to convert the pulses received from kmh to mph. It effectively makes the needle point to the right number so 30 is 30. You should have a little sticker on the glass of the speedo covering where it says kmh with mph to make it all legal but its not necessary if you know.
When this box is fitted, the odometer will start to increase in miles rather than kilometres too.
Have a root around and see if you can find a gadget inplace
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 July 2016, 11:33:27 am »
Cheers.
I will have a little root around.
Just concerned that now with that thing possibly being fitted and not knowing how long its actually been in place for, whether the mileage is correct?
Its a nice bike and first impressions of riding it seem pretty good, I sold my old FZS600 last year after a few issues, but this one seems to run better.
Would be a shame to return it, but i only do about 3.5k a year commuting and if its done an extra 20k then it doesnt seem as appealing.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2016, 11:36:46 am by Silverlegacy »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2016, 12:35:07 pm »
Cheers.
I will have a little root around.
Just concerned that now with that thing possibly being fitted and not knowing how long its actually been in place for, whether the mileage is correct?
Its a nice bike and first impressions of riding it seem pretty good, I sold my old FZS600 last year after a few issues, but this one seems to run better.
Would be a shame to return it, but i only do about 3.5k a year commuting and if its done an extra 20k then it doesnt seem as appealing.
I wouldnt be too worried about the mileage being on the high side provided you have some evidence of service history. Do you know how many previous owners there have been?
You will get this information when your V5C arrives from DVLA.
My own bike (FZS 600S) like yours was showing 51300 miles when I bought for £999 back in February. previous owner was an all year round commuter type rider so was racking up some miles-again not really a problem since I had receipts for servicing/replacement of exhaust studs & stainless downpipes fitted also had braided hoses(Hel).
Now the things I have focussed on so far have been to do with mechanical/rolling chassis work. A 15 year old bike is going to need some attention to suspension,brakes,lube of swing arm,linkages & headset. Also valve clearance check if no previous data came with bike.
Truth be told I am a bit OCD with bikes and over time I want to make this one run as well as poss also do some cosmetic work over winter. These engines are pretty reliable assuming oil & filter & cam chain havent been neglected. Your bike looks a good un so work out how many years you will have to ride to "go round the clock".
Have just replaced carburettor to cylinder head rubbers and fitted parts from carb overhaul kits. Bike is @ local garage today having carbs synchronised as I dont have a set of vacuum gauges-my mate does but hes away sunbathing & I want the bike for this weekend for Llangollen Bikefest!!!
Heres mine as she came in Feb: