Date: 01-05-24  Time: 12:38 pm

Author Topic: Replacing carb inlet rubbers  (Read 7510 times)

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Replacing carb inlet rubbers
« on: 07 March 2015, 04:49:03 pm »
I have no idea how to do this.

As I've got the tank off, before I balance the carbs (also never done before but great guide in articles will help!), I wanted to replace the carb rubbers.

Both outside ones are cracked and I have tested throttle, definitely cracked all the way in. I can't see the inside ones clearly yet, but was thinking to replace all four with some shiny ones I bought off deefer a while back.

I can't find a decent guide on here or on youtube specific to the FZS600.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

wildchild74

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing carb inlet rubbers
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2015, 10:00:43 pm »
Hi m8...tank off, seat off. Airbox covers each side and the panels next to those the one with the seat lock in both sides i took the battery off but u may not need to... now fully undo the clips from rubbers to carbs and behind the panels below the seat is one 10mm bolt into each side off the airbox just slacken these off dont fully take out. At the top of airbox maybe around the bar which coils filter and pump are is another 10mm bolt slacken this off too... now if you can get another pair of hands and between you slide the whole lot back carbs and airbox together make sure you support carbs maybe a bungee under them as they only supported by airbox now you can get to the hex bolts on the rubbers n putting em back is the reversal of what u just done hth
Gaz
Fazer 600 98

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2015, 10:08:55 pm »
Hi Gaz,
Thanks for your guidance. I started the work on Monday with the Haynes and Service manuals, noting down at the end of the day what I'd done and also marking hoses and bolts, screws, so on the way back I know what goes where!  :b

Pretty much what you said. I actually bungeed the coil unit away and got to carbs that way from over head, rather than side.

There are a few hoses under and front side of the carbs.

Today I put the new rubbers on and used a tip I read somewhere about washing up liquid to help get the carbs back into new rubbers. Actually worked really well!

Next is to reconnect all the hoses, which is my most dreaded task, coz I'm always afraid I'll miss one or something. Hopefully, the notes n markings and manuals will be useful again.

Watch this space!

wildchild74

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2015, 06:28:49 am »
Good im glad i may of  helped someone let us know how you get on
Gaz
Fazer 600 98

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2015, 12:56:48 pm »
I always take lots of pictures with my phone before and during disassembly, makes it easier to figure out how to put it back together if you forget where something goes or how it's routed.  8)

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2015, 03:25:19 pm »
I always take lots of pictures with my phone before and during disassembly, makes it easier to figure out how to put it back together if you forget where something goes or how it's routed.  8)

Chris

I did this to a certain extent but then grubby hands and also no light decent enough under the carbs to, so just stuck to my end of day notes. Hope that ensures I plug every hose back in! :lol

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2015, 03:07:28 pm »
Quick update:

Just been connecting stuff back onto the carbs and reading back through stuff. I realised I overthought the carb removal in the sense that I got the entire carburettor unit out of the bike! This is why I had to disconnect a coolant hose and 2 air hoses!

If I'd have to do it again, I'd know that to replace the carb rubbers, the carbs need to only be disconnected from them, not entirely removed from bike. It did make access to the hex bolts very easy, but was unnecessary.

Glad to have reconnected all the hoses. Next is to reconnect everything and flush cooling system (coz I drained the coolant), radflush the system, then new coolant.

So I'm going to put everything together and take the bike for a ride with radflush in, maybe a 10 minute ride. Drain radflush and then fill with new coolant.

This will finally get me to the carb balancing stage.

wildchild74

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2015, 03:11:57 pm »
No m8 you could have just slid them back still connected to the airbox
Gaz
Fazer 600 98

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2015, 07:32:44 pm »
No real need to disconnect anything. Just move the airbox back and pop the carbs out of their boots with everything still connected. Then replace the carb rubbers and slide the carbs back in. No harm seeing how it all goes together though.

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2015, 09:10:41 pm »
It's been a good learning experience!

One thing I'm anxious about is reconnecting the throttle cables with carbs in situ.

Any tips please?

wildchild74

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2015, 09:20:43 pm »
Did you drain the petrol out the carbs as you may have to tilt the carbs to get one of the cables on n you don't want petrol going on the diaphragms as it affects the rubber I think hath
Gaz
Fazer 600 98

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2015, 10:40:36 pm »
Connect the cables before you put the carbs in. It's a lot easier. If they're already back in the rubbers I'd take them out again and connect the cables. You'll be messing around for ages trying to get the cables in with the carbs in

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2015, 08:05:14 am »
+1  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2015, 11:17:21 am »
Connect the cables before you put the carbs in. It's a lot easier. If they're already back in the rubbers I'd take them out again and connect the cables. You'll be messing around for ages trying to get the cables in with the carbs in

DOH!!! OK. I will undo the screws and remove carbs from rubbers and do the throttle cables.

Gaz, didn't drain the bowls, but made sure the carbs stayed upright the entire time they were out.

At least I'll be an "expert" by the end of all this   :b

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 March 2015, 01:44:26 pm »

Uhm, definition of an expert ....
    an 'ex' is a has been,
    and a 'spert' is a drip under pressure   :lol

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 March 2015, 02:04:43 pm »

Uhm, definition of an expert ....
    an 'ex' is a has been,
    and a 'spert' is a drip under pressure   :lol

Put it this way mate, some days I have to write on the blackboard several times, "lefty loosy, righty tighty!"

I won't be working for any MotoGP times this lifetime!  :rollin :rollin