Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:31 pm

Author Topic: Brake Pad recomendation:  (Read 3755 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Brake Pad recomendation:
« on: 17 April 2021, 08:15:28 am »
I normally buy SBS Ceramic rear pads for my bike, been using them for a while now, but i'm having trouble sourcing any at the moment.

I have found some decent priced OEM pads though, but can anyone tell me what compound they are as i can't seem to find any info on that either?

I like the Ceramic ones because they're not harsh on the disc at all and nowhere near as dusty as Organic, plus i've used them for years so know what they're all about so would preferably prefer to stay with them, but if the OEM ones aren't known to be harsh on the discs i'll give them a go instead.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2021, 01:52:50 pm by b1k3rdude »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: BRAKE PADS
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2021, 08:27:30 am »
Gnasher is probably the person to ask about this, as he got me on SBS pads.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2021, 08:37:20 am »
Gnasher is probably the person to ask about this, as he got me on SBS pads.

Yeah, waiting for his response.
Not sure if they're discontinuing the Ceramic ones, shame if they are, but i don't remember having trouble getting any before now.

I have found them on the Demon Tweeks website but they won't have them for at least 14 days.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2021, 09:00:37 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2021, 11:52:39 am »
I've actually found some now after a bit of messing around.

By pure chance i tried searching using a different browser and a company popped up that wasn't on the previous browser.

The set i wanted were SBS Ceramic 570HF and they were on there listed for a TZR250, but after a bit of research they actually fit 136 bikes so all is good.
They were cheaper too which was a bonus.  8)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2021, 01:35:39 pm »
Demontweeks normally stock them or ebay.

To find SBS pad fittments, go for the number i.e Fazer front 634, rear 570 on their website, then scroll down and it will give you a list of all the bikes using the same pads.  SBS OE fitment is front HS and rear HF.  SBS pads are HF non sinter FF, HS sinter, SP = HH, listed as 'street'   

Some stockist list pads say for an R1, FZS100, XJR1200/1300 etc but not, FZS600 but they're the same pads, but my not be the same rating i.e. HH for front not GG.   

See here https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/634hs

Pad ratings or letter codes are FF, GG, HH or HG, GH etc, each letter is a friction coefficient, 1st letter is 'cold' 2nd 'hot'.  Fazer std is FF rear non sinter and GG front sinter, most production/street bikes are the same although a lot of pure sports bikes use HH sinter fronts, ceramic is non sinter.

Avoid RST listed as 'racing' these are really entry level track pads, they're not so good on cold/wet or in the wet until heated, DON'T ever fit their DC, DS-1 or 2, for street use, these are pure racing pads, they need to be hot before they work.  i.e. you'll be hitting the first car in front of you as he stops, or you need to be braking twice the distance, I kid you not   

Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2021, 03:35:05 pm »
Demontweeks normally stock them or ebay.

To find SBS pad fittments, go for the number i.e Fazer front 634, rear 570 on their website, then scroll down and it will give you a list of all the bikes using the same pads.  SBS OE fitment is front HS and rear HF.  SBS pads are HF non sinter FF, HS sinter, SP = HH, listed as 'street'   

Some stockist list pads say for an R1, FZS100, XJR1200/1300 etc but not, FZS600 but they're the same pads, but my not be the same rating i.e. HH for front not GG.   

See here https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/634hs

Pad ratings or letter codes are FF, GG, HH or HG, GH etc, each letter is a friction coefficient, 1st letter is 'cold' 2nd 'hot'.  Fazer std is FF rear non sinter and GG front sinter, most production/street bikes are the same although a lot of pure sports bikes use HH sinter fronts, ceramic is non sinter.

Avoid RST listed as 'racing' these are really entry level track pads, they're not so good on cold/wet or in the wet until heated, DON'T ever fit their DC, DS-1 or 2, for street use, these are pure racing pads, they need to be hot before they work.  i.e. you'll be hitting the first car in front of you as he stops, or you need to be braking twice the distance, I kid you not   

It's the rear 570HF that i was after.

On Ebay they only had them from Italy, with daft postage costs, and Demon Tweeks were a minimum 14 day wait.

I had a good look around and was about to order the Demon Tweeks ones then had a brainwave and tried a search using a different browser and another company popped up so i bought their ones listed for a TZR250.
The 570HF rear pads fit 136 bikes and i found a page that confirmed the Fazer 600.

I've saved all the info for future reference.

These are the REAR pads i found if anyone else wants them, and they are compatible with all years of FZS 600 bikes (£22.82 delivered):

http://www.farkhamhall.co.uk/shop/yamaha-tzr250-rear-brake-pads-bz-570hf?search=570HF
« Last Edit: 17 April 2021, 03:46:41 pm by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2021, 03:40:54 pm »
Out of interest though Gnasher, what compound are Yamaha OEM pads on the rear of 600's, i couldn't find that info out?

I found these if anyone wants them, i'm guessing that they're around half price?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3TJ-W0046-00-Genuine-Yamaha-Rear-Brake-Pads-XJR400-FZ400-FZR400-FZS600/154410905801?hash=item23f39b70c9:g:GhUAAOSw6FFgczwW

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2021, 05:07:06 pm »
or ebay.
Once you know which SBS part number you need, you can hunt around. I got a set for my bandit 1250 dirt cheap of ebay.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2021, 06:31:19 pm »
or ebay.
Once you know which SBS part number you need, you can hunt around. I got a set for my bandit 1250 dirt cheap of ebay.

Did you not read my posts?  :lol  Like i said as well, it was odd that doing a search using a different browser showed a new company option? It was the same Google search engine on both browsers too?

"...On Ebay they only had them from Italy, with daft postage costs, and Demon Tweeks were a minimum 14 day wait..."
« Last Edit: 17 April 2021, 06:36:35 pm by darrsi »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2021, 07:19:02 pm »
Out of interest though Gnasher, what compound are Yamaha OEM pads on the rear of 600's, i couldn't find that info out?

You didn't read my last now did you  :rolleyes

Fazer std is FF rear non sinter
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2021, 07:27:07 pm »

You didn't read my last now did you  :rolleyes

You wrote "non sinter".
That means they're not sintered, so what are they then?
I know Ceramic comes under non sintered, but you weren't exactly clear what compound the OEM ones are?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 April 2021, 08:05:24 pm »
You wrote "non sinter".
I know Ceramic comes under non sintered, but you weren't exactly clear what compound the OEM ones are?

You didn't read it again, did you  :rolleyes

FF  ;)
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2021, 06:51:03 am »
You wrote "non sinter".

You didn't read it again, did you  :rolleyes

FF  ;)

I can read perfectly well actually, and as mentioned I've already purchased the Ceramic ones, so the answer i'm looking for is for everyone's benefit for now really, and maybe mine if they are even more difficult to find next time i need some.

From your own explanation FF is a heat rating, but you still haven't answered my question of what compound the rear OEM pads are? Saying "non sinter" is the equivalent to being asked the colour of something and answering "Not brown". 

So in this particular case the rear OEM pads could be Ceramic (as you mentioned) or possibly Organic for example, of which neither are sintered, or "non sinter".

The main reason i want to know is because i am personally not a fan of Organic pads at all because of the dust they create that can cause caliper issues if they're not regularly maintained as well as people should do, which i would hazard a guess is more people rather than less.
As i saw those OEM pads for sale at a good price they would've been my next option, but if they're Organic then i would've started looking elsewhere.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2021, 09:28:21 am »
Did you not read my posts?  :lol
yeah, dont just use google. Use other search engines, price comparison websites etc. I assume the part number is SBS 570HF (https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/570hf)?

Did a search for that make/pn -

£16 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SBS-570HF-Front-Ceramic-Brake-Pads-Yamaha-RD-350-TZR-125-SRX-LC-TDR-XJ-FZ-YPVS/274630881324?epid=1317403849

« Last Edit: 18 April 2021, 09:35:51 am by b1k3rdude »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2021, 11:17:28 am »
I can read perfectly well actually, and as mentioned I've already purchased the Ceramic ones, so the answer i'm looking for is for everyone's benefit for now really, and maybe mine if they are even more difficult to find next time i need some.

Oh dear  :rolleyes

There's 2 types of pad non sinter and sinter.   The former (non sinter) is broken down into 2 levels of hardness, organic (soft) ceramic (harder), the latter should produce less dust, reduce disc wear and perform better.  Some manufacturers use organic/ceramic as a name and/or mix in kevlar or other materials (EBC) and don't always tell you in the sales blurb, what rating the pad is, just its their OE replacement, albeit it will be stamped on the pad.  Some will claim lower, wear, noise and increased performance for any given pad based on their tests etc.  A lot of it is subjective at best, some utter distortion.  Braking is stopping, but the how you stop is a personnel thing i.e. initial bite, progressive feel, lack of fade, outright stopping power and wear rates.  It's these areas where lower rating and cheaper pads won't cut it, as it's all a trade off to achieve performance in road conditions. i.e. wet, cold, hot, weight of machine, riding styles etc.  Racing/track is very different, SBS do rain pads, hot dry pads etc.             

As with everything there's a range or spec for performance cheaper pads will be just in or on spec, some Chinese knock offs will not and are just bloody dangerous.   Where as SBS and a few others, will easily exceed any given spec and they have a bigger range of pads for any given caliper.

If economy is paramount to you and your riding style reflects that, buy cheaper.   Economy parts will work but not to the level top end will/do, if you change your riding style economy starts working against you.  Some non-sinter pads eat discs, as do some sintered cheap ones, it's cheaper because it's lower spec, often you'll use more as well.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.   

Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 April 2021, 12:19:40 pm »

Oh dear  :rolleyes

There's 2 types of pad non sinter and sinter.   The former (non sinter) is broken down into 2 levels of hardness, organic (soft) ceramic (harder), the latter should produce less dust, reduce disc wear and perform better.  Some manufacturers use organic/ceramic as a name and/or mix in kevlar or other materials (EBC) and don't always tell you in the sales blurb, what rating the pad is, just its their OE replacement, albeit it will be stamped on the pad.  Some will claim lower, wear, noise and increased performance for any given pad based on their tests etc.  A lot of it is subjective at best, some utter distortion.  Braking is stopping, but the how you stop is a personnel thing i.e. initial bite, progressive feel, lack of fade, outright stopping power and wear rates.  It's these areas where lower rating and cheaper pads won't cut it, as it's all a trade off to achieve performance in road conditions. i.e. wet, cold, hot, weight of machine, riding styles etc.  Racing/track is very different, SBS do rain pads, hot dry pads etc.             

As with everything there's a range or spec for performance cheaper pads will be just in or on spec, some Chinese knock offs will not and are just bloody dangerous.   Where as SBS and a few others, will easily exceed any given spec and they have a bigger range of pads for any given caliper.

If economy is paramount to you and your riding style reflects that, buy cheaper.   Economy parts will work but not to the level top end will/do, if you change your riding style economy starts working against you.  Some non-sinter pads eat discs, as do some sintered cheap ones, it's cheaper because it's lower spec, often you'll use more as well.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.   

Money/economy wasn't the issue, I just don't like Organic pads.
And it was the info that I was after which I just couldn't find, so cheers for the input.

I've used the SBS Ceramic pads for the last 2 or 3 times now, so i know exactly how they perform which is why I'd prefer to stick with them. I find them very sharp and responsive when used in traffic. Plus they're not harsh on the disc and the dust is way less than Organic pads create.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2021, 12:28:28 pm by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 April 2021, 12:20:55 pm »
yeah, dont just use google. Use other search engines, price comparison websites etc. I assume the part number is SBS 570HF (https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/570hf)?

£16 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SBS-570HF-Front-Ceramic-Brake-Pads-Yamaha-RD-350-TZR-125-SRX-LC-TDR-XJ-FZ-YPVS/274630881324?epid=1317403849

I was after rear pads, these are front unfortunately.
Shame 'cos i would've bought them as well if they were rear ones at that price.  :lol
« Last Edit: 18 April 2021, 01:54:26 pm by darrsi »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 April 2021, 01:52:15 pm »
I was after rear pads, these are front.
Check the link to the SBS website above, its show the 570HF the FZS600 2001, rear -

- https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/570hf

The fronts in ceramic from the SBS website are -

- https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/634hf

You never mention what bike its for, so from your profile I made the assumption it was for your 2001 FZS600?
« Last Edit: 18 April 2021, 01:53:34 pm by b1k3rdude »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 April 2021, 02:00:34 pm »

Shame 'cos i would've bought them as well if they were rear ones at that price.  :lol

The links provided are for rear pads on the Fazer, they also fit other bikes but in a front application.  As mentioned earlier use the number to search for the pad on SBS website and you get a full list of what other bike uses a pad, that could be front or rear.   ;)
« Last Edit: 18 April 2021, 02:04:29 pm by Gnasher »
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 April 2021, 02:01:28 pm »
I was after rear pads, these are front.
Check the link to the SBS website above, its show the 570HF the FZS600 2001, rear -

- https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/570hf

The fronts in ceramic from the SBS website are -

- https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/634hf

You never mention what bike its for, so from your profile I made the assumption it was for your 2001 FZS600?

All the SBS website did was lead me towards Demon Tweeks who had a 14 day wait for supplies.
My bike, as per profile, is a 2000, but the pads would fit 98 - 03 anyway.

I put a link above where I ended up buying them from.

I don't ever remember having issues finding them before, which is making me wonder why?
Either people don't know much about them so don't buy them, or maybe they're being discontinued?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 April 2021, 02:05:38 pm »

The links provided are for rear pads  :rolleyes

Enough of the  :rolleyes , can you not just be civil for once?

I was looking at the package description and also the advert description.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Pad recomendation:
« Reply #21 on: 18 April 2021, 02:08:13 pm »
Am I wrong, or does that not say front?
Irrespective of the model number, I wouldn't buy from that advert due to the description.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 April 2021, 02:10:46 pm »
As mentioned earlier use the number to search for the pad on SBS website and you get a full list of what other bike uses a pad, that could be front or rear.  As calipers improve over the years, fronts tend to get relegated to rear applications, as the Fazer rear was once top dog on RD, TZRs etc back in the day.     

Perhaps you need to read things thoroughly, before going off half cocked  ;)

I'm bored with this now.   
« Last Edit: 18 April 2021, 02:16:15 pm by Gnasher »
Later

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 April 2021, 02:13:10 pm »
I recently bought new pads for the Kawasaki and couldn't see SBS anywhere. My last lot I bought from the NEC bike show and were really good but none of the main online bike stores seemed to sell them these days. I wonder why 🤔
Main options are always EBC, Brembo or Goldfren, Although I've never wanted to trust Goldfren as they are stupidly cheap (I think less that £30 for a full set of front and back!)
I've just gone with sintered EBC as I thought they were the best for fast road riding 🤔🤷‍♂️

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 April 2021, 02:16:58 pm »
As mentioned earlier use the number to search for the pad on SBS website and you get a full list of what other bike uses a pad, that could be front or rear

Perhaps you need to read things thoroughly, before going off half cocked  ;)

I'm bored with this now.

I know what you're saying, but WHY would anyone buy pads from an advert that says FRONT, when you want REAR?

I'm bored with your sarcasm to be fair, so no need to answer anymore.
I came on here after I'd spent time on the Internet thinking I'd get some straightforward answers but it's turned into a complete shambles with attitude.

No need......