Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:39 am

Author Topic: Frame sliders wanted  (Read 1128 times)

Ripsnortingvtwin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - cb750kz
    • View Profile
Frame sliders wanted
« on: 16 April 2021, 09:51:00 am »
Guys
does any one have this type of frame slides for sale in good con ??

thanks
mike

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Frame sliders wanted
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2021, 11:59:37 am »
The primary issue with 'that' type of slider is the bobbin bolt rests directly on the head of the engine mounting bolt, and in a drop this WILL snap the engine mount off the engine. This is because there is not enough rigid support to the back of said engine bolt, the engine mounting bracket in the location isn't designed to take load in that direction.

Imho you'd be better off with the R&G/Yamaha type.

Ripsnortingvtwin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - cb750kz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2021, 02:01:02 pm »
thanks i have them on another fazer there is a metal spacer behind the slider that sits on the engine so along with the bolts in the frame and the surports on the back of the spacer tend to spread the shock only damage was to the plastic bung ?? not sure what you found when you went down  only looking as i brought another fazer that has none on it

whats the yam one like
« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 02:22:58 pm by Ripsnortingvtwin »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2021, 03:45:00 pm »
- not sure what you found when you went down  only looking as i brought another fazer that has none on it
- whats the yam one like
- My I think 3rd or fourth FZS1000 had damage from one of these typss of crash protector. I could see where the engine mount had been welded back on (dont know how stronth that would have been in the even of another drop)
- you cant buy the yam ones any more, but there are crash protection kits that replicate them. For some images of what the yam ones looked like see - https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=8097.0

Here you can see they don't go anywhere near the engine bolts -

My last ever FZS had them on and they completely protected the engine and limited the damage to the mostly the bits that stick out in a low speed 40mph low side. All I had to do was replace the front fairing, subframe, headlight, l/h grab rail, riders foot rest, bar end weight, mirror, clutch lever and get the tank repainted (as it had a medium flat spot where it touched down).

It also helped that I had fork and swing arm sliders on, the forks, swing-arm and wheels were all protected.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 04:08:45 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2021, 03:55:25 pm »
I have also had a set of the R&G's on a previous FZS - 

- https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Yamaha/Fazer_1000/1999/CP0059BL/#prettyPhoto

But I am on the fence about these. While they did completely protect the engine, the bolts that mount the block to the frame bent the frame a bit. On the r/h side its not an issue as that frame rail is removable, but the left side isnt. But as you can see from the photos it was a proper 30mph-to-0mph, what crash protectors would survive that.

Now R&G do have a guarantee that if they don't work as intended R&G will cover the damage to the bike, I did speak to R&G but I never got to test this as it was 101% the car drivers fault (doing a u-turn on front of me, he had been drinking but wasn't over the limit) so his ins. covered the whole lot (just bought another FZS at the time.)

« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 04:20:26 pm by b1k3rdude »

Ripsnortingvtwin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - cb750kz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2021, 04:19:31 pm »
thansk guys i think i will have a read up , before i buy anything my new bike is showroom so wnat to try to add as much protection to it as i can to keep it that way just in case

thanks
mike

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2021, 05:12:26 pm »
The amount of destroyed frames/engine casing I see with the crash bungs, is staggering, even a little off can write off a frame an ally frame, steel doesn't fair a lot better.  Often they do both the frame and the engine casing, the bung gets rammed into the casing.

You want something like this https://www.renntec.com/product/yamaha-fzs1000-fazer-engine-bars-in-black  They may not look quite as good, but if you want to save your casing, and not wreck the frame, casing or both in an off, the tri pod type crash bars are what you want.  The load is spread, even if they bend it's not much, often they can be rubbed down, resprayed after an off.   I've seen them ground flat from huge slides, casing /frame are untouched, worst case you replace them. 

When you consider casing end covers are anywhere between £78ish - 178ish, to say nothing of £160 if you stuff the pickup and it's rare you just do one! 

New bars are cheap.    ;)   

Later

Ripsnortingvtwin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - cb750kz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2021, 09:37:55 pm »
blimey waht have i started here  :lol :lol thanks guys gonna not ride it any more might be easier  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2021, 10:31:42 pm »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2021, 12:25:23 pm »
@Gnasher, what about this type of engine bars -

https://www.mmotoracks.com/product/engine-guard-crash-bars-for-yamaha-fzs1000-fazer

Not seen that type but similar.  Being only 2 mounting points with a long length unsupported running parallel with the engine block.  AT the top the bar end is bent in towards the engine, pointing right at the cam chain casing.  In a smash it lever/twist at the lower mounting/frame and will bend the end, right into the cam chain casing.

I wouldn't recommend them.

Obviously it's all about speed, what you hit or hits you, road surface etc.  As your pictures demonstrate even at speeds of 20 - 30mph the impact damage can be huge, don't even go there if the bike flips or rolls.  I've seen brand new bikes written off by a slow off and the bike then hitting the kerb and flipping.  :eek
Later