red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
rattle
« on: 05 August 2012, 09:37:11 am »
just come back from a long road trip.1400 miles in five days,and i now have a rattle on the bike.....fine in netural put it in gear with clutch in and still ok ,let clutch out and start to move and the rattle starts,it sounds like something is loose as not in time with the speed of the engine......not had time to look yet but was thinking loose front sprocket or maybe cclutch problem ?...................is there and common faults with the thou i should check first  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: rattle
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2012, 10:29:49 am »
Look underneath, might be a refugee attatched :lol
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2012, 11:25:19 am »
manuel its faulty lol lol lol
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2012, 12:49:33 pm »
 Chain slack?
 My own chain needs adjusting so seldom that I sometimes go for quite long distances before I get round to checking the slack -and more often than not it doesn't need adjusting even then. But, it usually catches me out at the end of a long tour and that's when it starts to make a noise -usually when pulling away and the load twangs it against the swing arm.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2012, 02:04:01 pm »
Chain slack?
 My own chain needs adjusting so seldom that I sometimes go for quite long distances before I get round to checking the slack -and more often than not it doesn't need adjusting even then. But, it usually catches me out at the end of a long tour and that's when it starts to make a noise -usually when pulling away and the load twangs it against the swing arm.

thats what i thought it was so pulled over at a yam dealer somewhere in south west wales to have a look,bought some chain lube and checked the chain,have got a slight tight spot but not enough to cause the rattle  :\

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2012, 02:20:00 pm »
scrap it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....and put old faithfull bk on road??? ;) .....you know it makes sense? :rolleyes .......

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2012, 02:23:45 pm »
oh!...by the way?...could it be the clutch pressure plt bearing on way out?? :rolleyes .......

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2012, 03:31:11 pm »
yoohoo !!..............sorry, i`ll get me coat :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2012, 03:34:20 pm »
scrap it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....and put old faithfull bk on road??? ;) .....you know it makes sense? :rolleyes .......

hi clive my old matey..hope you are well.............ah yes my good old 600....going to see if i can get it mot`ed tommorow as i have another week off....my last post saw me have a new rear tyre fitted and i dont think theres anything else wrong with it...never failer an mot in ten years of ownership...........how you doing with your thou ?  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2012, 03:36:09 pm »

hi ade , how you doing......was in your neck of the woods last week on a mini tour of this great isle  :D

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2012, 03:40:04 pm »
had it running!!.....seems to rattle a bit?....no where near as quiet ass the 6.. :rolleyes ......still need a few bits yet?...not got the funds at mo to do owt else?....have you not had chance to look at your 6 yet then??

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 August 2012, 03:54:44 pm »
oh!...by the way?...could it be the clutch pressure plt bearing on way out?? :rolleyes .......

going to take a closer look at chain and sprockets tommorow,not looked at front sprocket yet so will remove cover and have a good poke around and no doubt a good clean while iam in there  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 August 2012, 03:58:10 pm »
had it running!!.....seems to rattle a bit?....no where near as quiet ass the 6.. :rolleyes ......still need a few bits yet?...not got the funds at mo to do owt else?....have you not had chance to look at your 6 yet then??

no not yet mate....just had a week on the thou...and very busy with work before that,week off now and time to spend in the garage........i get a lot more engine noise with the thou aswell,nothing worn i think its just the way they are  :)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 August 2012, 04:39:09 pm »
In addition to making sure all's well with the front sprocket, take a look at the exhaust rear mounting bracket while you're down that way.  The weld holding it to the EXUP collector sometimes fails.  Also, stones on the headers will give similar rattles.

Clutch pressure plate bearing failures aren't common.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2012, 09:11:37 pm »
In addition to making sure all's well with the front sprocket, take a look at the exhaust rear mounting bracket while you're down that way.  The weld holding it to the EXUP collector sometimes fails.  Also, stones on the headers will give similar rattles.

Clutch pressure plate bearing failures aren't common.

cheers falcon ....i`ll check the collector box out in the morning  :)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: 05 August 2012, 11:46:01 pm »
I had exactly the same issue when I got my Fazer a few weeks ago. The noise was only evident when releasing the clutch and pulling away from a standstill. I put it on the centre-stand and found a tight spot in the chain. Thoroughly cleaned the chain with parrafin and then lubed it up and problem was gone.

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 August 2012, 08:12:05 am »
I had exactly the same issue when I got my Fazer a few weeks ago. The noise was only evident when releasing the clutch and pulling away from a standstill. I put it on the centre-stand and found a tight spot in the chain. Thoroughly cleaned the chain with parrafin and then lubed it up and problem was gone.

i think you could be right...there is a slight tight spot and the chain is gummed up a bit and ive not looked under the front sprocket cover yet...so a good clean , adjust and lube could sort it out  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 August 2012, 12:55:38 pm »

took the front sprocket cover off this morning....not a pretty sight....dont think thats been de-greased since new....chain needed a good clean aswell....build up of gunge was doing a good job wiping off any lube i was putting on the chain...also lots of gunge on the side stand pivot,a couple of times over the past week the stand has stuck half way up/down  :rolleyes .....now all clean and running smoothly,i can see that the rattle was caused by the chain knocking against the plastic guard on the underside of the swingarm,it was hard to adjust the chain with all that gunge on there........ths shock looks like it could do with a good clean aswell,so seeing as iam on holiday this week iam going to strip the whole rear end and give it a good clean/inspect and reassemble........thanks MAD DOG MC Q......spot on  :D

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2012, 01:35:10 pm »
Pleased to help  :)
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 August 2012, 04:40:55 pm »

hi ade , how you doing......was in your neck of the woods last week on a mini tour of this great isle  :D
should have let me know and called in for a brew and chinwag ya jelly :rolleyes . did you enjoy `the land of song`? lots of inbreeding down there and locals wearing wellies one size too big ( don`t ask ) ......oh go on then !! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin  good to see perv...uh clive back on da scene....only kidding matey. how ya doing.  v.busy this end with work too !! can`t complain tho ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 August 2012, 05:09:00 pm »

should have let me know and called in for a brew and chinwag ya jelly :rolleyes . did you enjoy `the land of song`? lots of inbreeding down there and locals wearing wellies one size too big ( don`t ask ) ......oh go on then !! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin  good to see perv...uh clive back on da scene....only kidding matey. how ya doing.  v.busy this end with work too !! can`t complain tho ;)
......thanks alot mr blade!! :\ ....if i ever move it would be wales?...ile show you locals how to slow them fkn sheep down?????,,,,you cant beat a good pair of size 12 catterpillar boots!!!!!! :b ....... :rolleyes

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 August 2012, 07:59:11 pm »

hi ade.................yes good ride out....especially west coast colwyn bay down to tenby.......also lots of worried looking sheep being chased by the locals with oversized wellies.....is this some sort of national sport :rolleyes

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 August 2012, 08:03:27 pm »
wanted to remove front sprocket to give a good clean but not got 36mm socket...will have to wait untill tommrow when i can get too my local tool supplier and treat myself to some nice new shiny tools  :D

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #23 on: 07 August 2012, 08:43:09 am »
wanted to remove front sprocket to give a good clean but not got 36mm socket...will have to wait untill tommrow when i can get too my local tool supplier and treat myself to some nice new shiny tools  :D

Then you will, of course, have a new tab washer there to replace the old one when you take it off and it falls to pieces? Cos it will.......

Wheale
On the Gas! :stop

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 August 2012, 04:59:32 pm »

Then you will, of course, have a new tab washer there to replace the old one when you take it off and it falls to pieces? Cos it will.......

Wheale

oooooh yessssss.......always worth a mention.....new tab washer fitted  :)