Date: 17-05-24  Time: 20:53 pm

Author Topic: Horrid clunking crunching clacking sound!!! Fazer Gen 1  (Read 2986 times)

violetsdaddy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Horrid clunking crunching clacking sound!!! Fazer Gen 1
« on: 22 July 2012, 10:36:59 pm »
Here's the story...
I was heading home from work the other day and experienced these noises from my bike.
Approaching a roundabout in the wet, not going too fast, if anything a bit slower than normal due to the wetness, about 40mph and a good 100 yards from the car in front.
Pulled on the front brake and added a bit of back, nothing happened. I kept going.
Then I realised that the back brake had locked up and the rear end was sliding in a nice straight line, so much so I didn't notice for about 10 yards until I thought, the back of that car is getting very close indeed!!
Let the brakes off and reapplied to try to get some grip whereupon a horrid clunking crunching clacking sound came from beneath me.
It sounded like a cross between dropping it into first gear without the clutch and rattling a tin bucket of spanners around.
It lasted about a second, scared the crap out of me as it was loud and I'm sure I felt the bike jump, like it had gone over a speed bump.
I had to swerve around the car and drop into the middle of two lanes braking about 30 feet further on, surprising a fair few of the cage drivers around me.
I gathered myself and pulled away smoothly with the bike being no worse for the event, but what was that awful noise?
I hadn't noticed before but now of course I hear every clink and clack coming from under me.
I can now hear what sounds like the clutch basket clattering around like a cheap salad spinner.

The front brake is crap and the back bites like a dog, new pads needed?

And what on earth was that noise??? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Horrid clunking crunching clacking sound!!! Fazer Gen 1
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2012, 11:34:31 pm »

Let the brakes off and reapplied to try to get some grip whereupon a horrid clunking crunching clacking sound came from beneath me.
It sounded like a cross between dropping it into first gear without the clutch and rattling a tin bucket of spanners around.
It lasted about a second, scared the crap out of me as it was loud and I'm sure I felt the bike jump, like it had gone over a speed bump.

Well that bit sounds like as the rear tyre is struggling for grip and locking up the rear end is bouncing up and down and maybe the chain is rattling against the swingarm. I've had that before at trackdays, and have seen/heard similar whilst watching races. Might not be that at all.

I've no idea what a cheap (or expensive) salad spinner sounds like.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2012, 11:38:44 pm »
my advice would be don't ride it again until a mechanic checks it over!

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2012, 12:22:17 pm »
sounds like the big ends gone and the gearbox is knackered. and probably the frame's bent as well. i'll give you £300 guv.

Rustyz nutzz

• CBT Wobbler
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R1 - modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2012, 03:06:01 am »
Check the brakes first for meatl on metal /any meat left on pads , then check chain adjustment ( with a mate with you sat on the bike)

Clutch basket get the cover off or book it in for a check.

The clutch worn out or broken would not make your front brakes in-op so I would start on those1st as they are the most important bit.

But what bike , what miles on it , do you maintain it yourself , when was it serviced last and the miles on her ??

If it's got more than 2 wheels it's a car!

Rustyz nutzz

• CBT Wobbler
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R1 - modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2012, 03:07:23 am »
sorry just saw it's a Fazer gen 1 :o  lols.

Get it looked at and let us know  :)

If it's got more than 2 wheels it's a car!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2012, 04:38:34 am »
My money is on chain slapping on swingarm and/or hopping or snagging on the front sprocket.

The clutch basket noise is normal.

Fierce rear brake is normal, too.  Front brake fade in the wet is not so typical but depends on type of pads fitted, wear and so on.

Check the brakes like has been said already.  Likewise, chain adjustment (but don't let this freak you into over-tightening it) and if the C&S have high-ish mileage, consider changing them.

One final thought ... take a peek at the front sprocket anyway just in case the retaining nut has come loose.

violetsdaddy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2012, 01:29:07 pm »
Thank you all for the sensible replies.

Chain slap and maybe a leap over the cogs is what happened, I have experienced no ill effects since.
There was a degree of loose chain so I've now taken that in. No play in the cush pads or wheel bearings at the rear.
I haven't had the chance to get the front sprocket cover off to check the retaining nut, that's next.
The chain and sprockets could be original so they've done 18500 miles. Bike serviced at main dealer at 16000 miles.
The chain was covered, and I mean caked in waxy crap when I got it and I cleaned that off to reveal a nice gold link chain.
I've got an oiler on the chain now.
I might order new c&s anyway.
Plenty of life in the front pads.
I really have to pull hard on the front brake lever to get any feeling of actually stopping though, in town it's fine but open road braking is a conscious thought in advance.
I'll investigate alternative pads.

It is a rattly clutch basket, I remember the same on my old CBR.

On a high note I've got some new Renthal bars coming saturday, 'road bike high' in black, should finish off the look nicely - high and wide!!!

Thanks again chaps, this bike is a learning curve after my last one... must get a workshop manual!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2012, 02:39:33 pm »
Sounds like a thorough clean of the caliper and pistons is required.  Then de-glaze the pads and discs before changing to different pads.  Dealer won't have done any of this, unfortunately.

At nearly 20k miles, your C&S are getting towards the end of normal service life.  In particular, the front sprocket is probably quite hooked by now, even if the chain and rear sprocket look OK.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2012, 01:03:26 pm »
The front brakes could all be down to contamination, i would take them out and if they look in good condition try and clean them up with some clean sand paper and brake cleaner and remember to clean the discs too. Or simply buy new pads for piece of mind but before fitting clean the calipers thoroughly. After every wash i wipe my discs with brake cleaner.

Good luck,    Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2012, 06:15:08 am »
The chain and sprockets could be original so they've done 18500 miles. Bike serviced at main dealer at 16000 miles.
The chain was covered, and I mean caked in waxy crap when I got it and I cleaned that off to reveal a nice gold link chain.

It not going be original if it a gold chain...
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox