Date: 30-04-24  Time: 11:02 am

Author Topic: Help with front end setting for a trip to France  (Read 1385 times)

yamahasan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
Help with front end setting for a trip to France
« on: 05 July 2012, 06:58:14 pm »

Hi everybodyNext month I will be doing a 26 days touring-trip around southern France and the Pyrenees with my girl. My Gen1 FZS 1000 is gonna be loaded almost to the limit. Wont have too much time to try suspension settings cos Im working long hours, and this would be my first trip with it as I got it a couple months ago (after 9 years with a FZS 600) so I dont know it that much (though I bought it 350 miles away from home and rode it back...).
I want to work a little with the front end cos I know all the weight in the back is gonna make it feel "light". Any advices as to where to start from? Ive been reading about "dropping the forks" and stuff; do you think this would help? Is this doable for a regular person (if so, any advice would be very much appreciated) or should it be done by a mechanic? Everything is standard.

Thanxs!!!

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Help with front end setting for a trip to France
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2012, 07:38:26 pm »
Standard suspension is the Fazer 1000's main weakness.

The excess weight on the back will make the front like a chopper. Dont adjust the front, sort the rear out to cope with more weight. You'd need to wind up the rear shock preload ring to the max with the C-spanner in the toolkit, even then it probably won't be enough for 2-up with luggage.
Instead, fit one of Luke's R6 rear shocks and you'll be sorted for the holiday and when you're one-up with no luggage.

yamahasan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2012, 07:56:43 pm »

fit one of Luke's R6 rear shocks and you'll be sorted for the holiday and when you're one-up with no luggage

Dont think I have time for that, but do you know how much is the price?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2012, 10:58:48 pm »
You're leaving in a month? Plenty of time to fit it! :lol

One currently in the FOR SALE section, couple of spanners and a spare evening & you're sorted

yamahasan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2012, 08:20:28 am »
You're leaving in a month? Plenty of time to fit it! :lol

One currently in the FOR SALE section, couple of spanners and a spare evening & you're sorted

I know it doesnt show on my avatar, but I live in Spain!!! :o  Already contacted luke (no answer yet) about shipping time&costs; if its doable Ill go for it.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2012, 02:43:07 pm »
you have pm
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)