Date: 17-05-24  Time: 19:43 pm

Author Topic: stating technique for FZS 1000  (Read 4169 times)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
stating technique for FZS 1000
« on: 13 September 2016, 10:18:46 pm »
I have had my FZS now since March but I just don't seem to get it right when trying to start it.I have tried all sorts off things ,lots of choke, small amount of choke, a bit of throttle, ,etc etc. Bike always starts and then dies. So I try again and the bike often over revs and then runs. Any ideas and tips would be appreciated.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: stating technique for FZS 1000
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2016, 07:29:11 am »
Having it Ivanised and a 4 degree advancer will help.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2016, 09:44:13 am »
When I had my thou it never needed choke in warmer months of year. Switch on, throttle closed, push start button. When she fired up could set to fast idle IF NECESSARY by using small amount of choke. I suspect Fazers are designed to run slightly rich so you may be exacerbating problem using choke as you describe.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2016, 05:42:25 pm »
I was on Mikes list for my bike to be Ivanised this month but sadly that is not to be, so hopefully in the spring. I have thought about the 4 deg ignition advance, but have heard some mixed results. I wounded if it might just be me as most of my bikes have been fuel injected and start first time.The fazer is very hit and miss and you never know what you get.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2016, 06:28:18 pm »
The Ivan's kit will sort it. Never used choke on mine, just give it a few revs as you press the button and all's good.

Just a thought, what's your tickover speed when it's warm? needs to be 1200 ish.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2016, 11:25:05 pm »
I have the same problem as Ricky, but in my case its much worse whe the weather is warm/hot. Once the bike has been started, it will start just fine every time. But after being out for a run and then left to stand for a short or long time starting is a right pain, I have to hold the throttle open to get it to start etc.

None of the above replys work for me as I suspect they wont work for the OP.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2016, 11:32:30 pm by b1k3rdude »

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2016, 09:12:45 am »

Mine is the same as b1k3rdude,  as in it starts well enough from cold but when left to stand for an hour or two after use it takes a few tries to fire. I'm pleased that it's a general malaise and not something specifically wrong with mine. Would be good to sort though. I've always put it down to being an engine in a reasonably high state of tune.
is it clean enough?

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2016, 12:43:53 pm »
Hey Ricky. What's your rough location.  Maybe some nearby Foccer could take a look.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2016, 06:49:45 pm »
My bike is difficult to start from cold , but on a hot day or if the bike  is hot will start with no throttle but is a bit hit and miss and stutters before ticking over.
I live south of Leicester.

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2016, 09:13:29 pm »
Mine was always a case of - open choke  (only if engine cold), thumb the starter with throttle closed, wait for it to fire and blip the throttle. Knock choke back gradually. Once warm it would start straight away. My previous one was pretty much the same. Weather made no difference, only engine temp. So even in summer I always opened the choke and closed the throttle to start.
__
There's no replacement for displacement

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2016, 05:31:42 pm »
Mine was always a case of - open choke  (only if engine cold), thumb the starter with throttle closed, wait for it to fire and blip the throttle. Knock choke back gradually. Once warm it would start straight away. My previous one was pretty much the same. Weather made no difference, only engine temp. So even in summer I always opened the choke and closed the throttle to start.
Mine was exactly the same. If the engine was warm, the starter button on its own, if cold, choke, starter and a bit of throttle to help it catch.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2016, 05:54:34 pm »
Since I started this thread I have found out my EXUP valve was not working properly and may have been set up wrong. I am still fine turning it to get it right. The bike does seem to start a bit better, both cold and hot. When hot the bike starts with out throttle most times.so how important is the EXUP valve to starting?

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 November 2016, 08:26:52 pm »
Having set up my exup valve I belive it makes a big difference  to how the bike starts does any one else have any thoughts