Date: 17-05-24  Time: 15:05 pm

Author Topic: Frozen Fazer  (Read 2432 times)

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Frozen Fazer
« on: 03 February 2012, 08:55:42 am »
Had my 04 gen 1 from new, 53k on the clock and it's never let me down, until this morning that is. I use it for a 65 mile round trip commute in all winds and weathers. Bike lives outside and this morning looked a tad chilly. Ignition lock was frozen, freed that by warming the key up but no response when I hit the starter button, no click, nothing. Clutch is frozen solid too. I'm guessing one of the switches that stop you riding off with the stand down or similar is playing up but working on a bike in these conditions is no fun. Having cuppa and a fag now while I work out what to do next. The joys of winter motorcycling, eh?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2012, 09:05:06 am »

Irritating but not unheard of.

Battery might need some tlc especially if you ride with your lights on this time of year. Neutral light coming on? Fuel being primed in pump?

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2012, 09:48:37 am »
do u cover it with a plastic sheet ?? would help no end

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2012, 02:34:58 pm »
In fact covering it with anything would help both ends!  :rolleyes

Stay Safe  ;)    Polar Bear.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2012, 09:21:39 am »
I'd suggest a proper all weather bike cover, you can get them with eyelets that allow you to secure the cover to the bike. A plastic sheet would be OK as a temporary measure but it wont do your paintwork any good over time.
Hein Gericke do their own range of covers including the "Storm" which sounds ideal, they are having a 30% discount sale on their branded stuff until 6th Feb so you could grab one for a decent price - http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/technical/accessories/cover.html

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2012, 10:22:40 am »
Just remember to take it off in high winds :P
Also give the cables a good lube up and a squirt of something in the handle bar controls and locks allways seems to help me at this time of year. Mine is kept outside all year round and next to a sandy beach.

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2012, 10:14:46 pm »
After a long time faffing about I realised I needed a hair dryer. Borrowed one from next door neighbour, got the bike near to the front door so extension lead would reach. Blew warm air over the clutch cable, switches, stuff under the  seat, got most of the moisture out and then squirted copious amounts of WD40 everywhere. Bike started easy enough and got me to work and back no problem. Mental note to self... Keep on top of the maintenance!

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2012, 11:31:57 pm »
I got given a bike cover the other day, it stinks like my old keep nets I used to have when I used to go fishing a lot. It's in a carrier bag on the back yard at the mo but will check it out properly and give it a hose down on the weekend. Luckily weather is milder now and freezing isn't a problem, just hope it stays that way. Dunno if I can take another winter of 30 plus mile each way commutes  to Bridgend and back. I can't afford a car though unless I sell the Fazer. I'm not ready for that yet, it's a keeper until either I or it pops clogs. Motor still sings like a bird, it's still absurdly quick, even with just the slip on Ivan's kit and a cheap as chips stainless steel round Carbon Can company err... can. My gf loves it too, but she may be an ex gf now, though that's another story. Lottery win required so I can get the bike back to how it was like when new and get a Nissan GTR. I can still dream as a 53 year old stupid mad biker can't I? Anyway, bike has been fine since my first post on this, thanks for the suggestions guys.