Date: 26-04-24  Time: 10:43 am

Author Topic: Gen 1 Fazer cutting out / dying  (Read 2214 times)

MrL

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 Fazer cutting out / dying
« on: 19 July 2013, 11:56:21 am »
Hi All,
This morning my Gen 1 Fazer started dying / cutting out on me.
About 9,500 revs in 1st, then seemingly dropping a bit lower in every gear until it was cutting out about 7,000 revs.
It just totally dies like I'd hit the kill switch, all Ok before then though, and after once I'd rolled the throttle off.
Any ideas please ?

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 Fazer cutting out / dying
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2013, 12:07:27 pm »
mmm sounds similar to my recent trouble turn out to be a dead battery .

it might not be related  just the longer the bike ran the worse it got ! till it was to late and I was miles from home !
but there will be others  with for my knowledge and understanding than I , I'm sure there'll post questions and answers for you soon

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2013, 12:36:44 pm »
had  a similar esp on a CB500, turned out the regulator was knackered and in turn it had killed the battery by seriously over charging it.
If you have a voltmeter it is easy to check, connect the VM across the battery terminals it should read say 12.7 volts or so with the ign on and then once started about 14 if you rev the bike and the reading goes up more than say 14 or 15 V then the regulator is buggered!

Tommo

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2013, 02:05:22 pm »
Something blocking the air intake?

Have you done anything to the bike recently?  Has it been standing for any length of time before this problem occurred?

MrL

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2013, 02:10:49 pm »
Thanks for the answers so far guys. The bike has been in regular use the last few months, and when it is ridden normally does 170 miles a day.
Last week I noticed a slight hesitation around 9 - 10k revs but it pulled through it, I thought maybe a carburation issue ?
Today however it was a complete loss of engine instantly when it got to certain revs when hard on the throttle, different in every gear. Like hitting the kill switch. When I backed off the throttle the engine came back into life and ran fine. 

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2013, 02:43:54 pm »
Check air intake and filter, start with the basics and cheap stuff. Check everything is working as it should be. Are plug caps tight, lose plug?  Mine started to stutter at high revs last week Nd at tick over I could hear a slight puff of air as it ticked over. Turned out number 1 plug had worked lose and was only in by a few turns.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2013, 07:43:23 pm »
Funnily enough, I started mine the other day and the spark plug blew clean out of the cylinder. Gave me the shock of my life. And I'd used a torque wrench to do it up at the last plug change. Baffling. Must be the weather. Looks like our bikes have learned to enjoy the usual British 13 degrees and drizzle and can't cope with anything hotter!

MrL

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2013, 09:09:45 pm »
Well so far - no airways restrictions, all plugs & caps tight. Rectifier not looking too healthy according to my Volt meter, will get another to check it in case my meter is dodgy. Cutting out is still happening on full throttle, so I'm guessing a rectifier or TPS issue now. Oil level now topped up to the max seems to have stopped the light coming on. I'll keep you updated, thanks.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2013, 05:12:45 pm »
Does it feel ok when you stay below 7,000. If so, then check that your EXUP valve is not sticking. It could cause the symptoms you have described.

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2013, 12:48:54 am »
Stalled mine the other day and it went into shock. Would barely turn over. Clock went back to '1:00'.

Got down from 3rd to 1st then neutral and it was fine. No trouble on the way home either.

Weird.

samsung

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2013, 12:11:22 pm »
I do like this site.An earlier comment on loose plugs prompted me to check mine,two plugs needed tightening.I also torqued mine. :)

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2013, 07:20:17 am »
Hi All,
About 9,500 revs in 1st, then seemingly dropping a bit lower in every gear until it was cutting out about 7,000 revs.
It just totally dies like I'd hit the kill switch, all Ok before then though, and after once I'd rolled the throttle off.
Any ideas please ?
sounds to me like the petrol tank breather pipe is restricted,, so your bike is effectively running out of fuel momentarily.  if the air cant get into the tank as quick as the fuel is going out to the carbs it will starve the engine and typically this happens at full throttle/high revs.  this could explain why when you roll off it comes back as you reduce the air opening at the carbs(which richens the mixture) and also reduce the demand for fuel allowing it to catch up.  check the breather pipe from the tank and make sure it isn't kinked or hasn't melted on the exhaust.  i have known people create this problem by trying to tuck the rubber pipes out of sight near the exhaust cos they don't realise what they're for ;-)

« Last Edit: 27 July 2013, 07:21:45 am by fazer-rat »

mr johnny fazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 August 2013, 08:48:02 pm »
Im also having this trouble,checked all pretty sure its a exup problem frayed exup cable on mine..has any1 tried the venhill exup repair kit??
Hi All,
Any ideas please ?
sounds to me like the petrol tank breather pipe is restricted,, so your bike is effectively running out of fuel momentarily.  if the air cant get into the tank as quick as the fuel is going out to the carbs it will starve the engine and typically this happens at full throttle/high revs.  this could explain why when you roll off it comes back as you reduce the air opening at the carbs(which richens the mixture) and also reduce the demand for fuel allowing it to catch up.  check the breather pipe from the tank and make sure it isn't kinked or hasn't melted on the exhaust.  i have known people create this problem by trying to tuck the rubber pipes out of sight near the exhaust cos they don't realise what they're for ;-)