Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:23 pm

Author Topic: Bar vibes  (Read 1451 times)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Bar vibes
« on: 06 July 2013, 04:42:53 pm »
Hi all,
Took bike out for a run today and started to notice a touch more vibration in the bars than normal. They have always 'vibed' a bit at around 4000 revs or 60ish in top but today I felt there was nore than before BUT only on the throttle side. I wasn't gripping it any harder than normal in fact I gripped the left one hard to see if I could feel anything there but no. It gave me the beginnings of pins and needles.
Any ideas why one side could vibe more than the other  (and the bars are not broken!!)
and how I can remedy the situation???

Cheers
Tommo

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Bar vibes
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2013, 05:47:25 pm »
As you no doubt know, the bars are where much of any vibrations from anywhere on the bike are felt through. So if the bar end weights are screwed on nice and tight, you've gotta start looking elsewhere. But there are many things that can cause vibration thro' the bars - tyre wear, carbs out of sync, chain rattling - the list goes on. Everything else seem Ok? Is the bike generally well looked after? Can you hear anything that might give you a clue?

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2013, 06:19:03 pm »
The only that has changed recently is I had Pilot Road 3 tyres fitted so they may have been incorrectly balanced but what bugs me is the tingly vibe is only felt on the right hand side, as the bar is a complete tube surely the vibes will be transmitted to both ends??
I will check the bar end weights again and see if I can alter their mass with lead or the like and if that makes any difference then invest iin heavier ones - any recommendations folks?

Tommo

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2013, 07:23:33 pm »
Could see how it is after the tyres are fully scrubbed in? Double check pressures, chain adjustment. I'm sure there was a really easy way of checking the tyre balancing too, but can't for the life of me remember how you do it. But of course, just because that was the most recent thing done, doesn't mean it has anything to do with that... :\

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2013, 10:14:53 am »
lube and re-set your steering head bearings, if they dry up a bit and are a bit slack it can magnify vibes in the bars.  its one of lifes mysteries why one side vibes more than the other :lol

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2013, 08:25:04 pm »
Most of the "vibes" that I have had on numerous bikes have been due to a poorly adjusted chain....mainly done by myself  :\
When I last got new tyres I had a similar thing with my PR3's. Found out that the rear wheel was slightly off alignment. Adjusted it correctly and all was fine after that.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2013, 08:47:32 pm »
cheers for the suggestions chaps, will try to sort the rear wheel alignment next, any tips on how to set this up correctly.....???

T

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2013, 09:41:11 pm »
It could be the warm weather. My bike vibes more in the summer than winter - basic metal expansion, I suppose. It's a bit of shock because the last 14 months have been utterly dreadful temperature wise.

I first noticed the effect in the south of France in 2003. Jeez that was a hot year. The temperature hit the 40s and it was still 37 degrees at 11 at night down in Nice.  Anyway, it was so bad that my right elbow really started to complain after a week, but I got back to this country and it was back to normal and vibrating less.

And mine is definitely vibrating more since the hot weather's arrived over the last couple of weeks.