Date: 01-05-24  Time: 00:59 am

Author Topic: Clutch judder  (Read 7789 times)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch judder
« Reply #25 on: 02 July 2013, 11:05:48 am »
No apology needed, guys.  I wasn't aware of the thing about flats getting worn on the pivot so that's a good call and one worth looking at more closely. :)

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 July 2013, 06:38:46 pm »
Pivot pin is fine, still searching, maybe the clutch itself?, not causing any problem at the moment just annoying not knowing lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 July 2013, 07:40:44 pm »
When I first tried just lubing the pivot pin, it made little difference but wear can be minor and difficult to see. Used a bit of wet & dry to clean it up, was much better. Also look to see if there is any "oval-ing" going on in the lever bracket where the pin goes through. I would still replace the pin first before going to the clutch end of things, as it's cheap and may still fix the problem. If this is all OK, don't jump straight to clutch internals just yet. Look at the clutch actuator shaft in the clutch cover as also suggested in this thread, including bearing and seal. If you have the facilities, you can get the bike over on it's side to remove the clutch cover (saves draining the oil at this stage). Don't do this whilst on centre stand tho', you'll over-stress the stand. You should get a new clutch cover gasket before you remove the cover tho', just in case it gets damaged during removal.

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 July 2013, 08:36:14 pm »
Thanks Nick, yes clutch actuator shaft is what my OH meant just couldnt think of the name! but if you disconnect the clutch cable from the actuator shaft and using force with both hands it feels perfectly smooth in operation which makes him wonder? maybe its when the clutch cable is atatched to it which sends the judder to the lever.
It has got a brand new clutch lever but looked tonight and the bushing and the pin felt and looked like new.  Its not that bad just a bit annoying maybe i am being over fussy lol, i will wait until i have another FZS in front of me and play with their clutch  :rolleyes  Thanks for all your help much appreciated  :)