Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:56 pm

Author Topic: ex demo  (Read 2190 times)

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
ex demo
« on: 27 June 2013, 07:08:54 pm »
hi chaps anybody bought an ex demo bike .pros and cons on this .what u reckon
cheers
bash

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: ex demo
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2013, 07:50:47 pm »
On one hand you have the back up of a dealer warranty and the general reliability and build quality of new bikes etc but on the other hand how many heavy handed blokes (or ladies) will have tried wringing the hell out of the bike to see what it can do and after a careful warm up period too........

Tommo

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2013, 09:02:16 pm »
they always perform slightly better than a standard bike :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2013, 09:11:58 pm »
they always perform slightly better than a standard bike :lol
I'll bet that's not so far from the truth...if you're going to give a bike to a journo who's then going to write it up for all to read, you'd want it at it's best, so you'd make sure everything was set up as good as possible.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2013, 09:19:05 pm »
Yup, mine fits that category.  :)

It came from Carnells in Milton Keynes back in 2002.  I like to think it got 600 miles of progressive but not abusive throttle use, which helps to bed the rings and bores together quickly.  That along with several dozen heat-cycles - also supposed to be good for breaking in new motors - under supervised rides.  Of course, it could just have been thrashed with no consideration whatsoever ... :lol

I'll say this, though.  I ran in my first '99 R1 from new and was too easy on it.  As a result it used oil at almost a litre between services.  The Fazer doesn't use a drop to this day (50k miles now) and is smooth and strong still.

I've no qualms about owning an ex-demo bike. :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2013, 09:26:21 pm »
Absolutely. I had a brand new FZ750 back in 1987, and I thrashed the nuts off it once or twice in my first week of ownership, and I mean redlined it in every gear. Now I'm not saying I recommend that kind of treatment, but that was a quick, responsive engine all the time I had it. I think you can be too careful when running a bike in.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2013, 10:08:55 pm »
Depending upon the bike/manufacturer running in periods are now controlled more through the on board electronics that set a limiter to throttle. I would not have a problem with going for one as you know if anything  untoward happen to the bike it will be sorted immediately as its a work bike to entice. 

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2013, 09:40:42 am »
Built a car once and had this advice from the experts...

Approach 1: Run in at various throttle openings for 500 miles on used engine oil. Change the oil and filter then run in for a further 500 miles. Change the oil and filter and drive as normal.

Approach 2: "Thrash the t*ts off it."

Guesses ?

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2013, 12:38:51 pm »
Another thing is money I changed my car earlier in the year for a manufacturers demo 6 months old 2800 miles 8, 5k under list price. No brainer to me. Most cars / bikes will stand everthing that people throw at them and although demo is not quite new it's probably has less obuse than most second hand vehicles and I'm sure most of us have bought plenty of those. To me if the price is right then a demo should financial at least be a good buy.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2013, 02:46:04 pm »
I worked for a company in the early 80's snd they bought 2 identical VW vans. 1 was run in gently and driven with compassion whilst my one had abuse from day 1, I didn't know what mechanical sympathy was. These vans were kept for 7 years snd my one was always quicker,  could go uphill better and was generally a gruntier vehicle. 
IMHO as long as an engne has been warmed up before hand a good and proper caning is a good thing.

Mickey.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.