Date: 19-04-24  Time: 02:21 am

Author Topic: Feels like it's in 5th gear - Full Monty  (Read 1752 times)

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
Feels like it's in 5th gear - Full Monty
« on: 25 June 2013, 08:19:30 pm »
Had the first real dry day today and my new Michelin Pilot road 3's scrubbed in, so had chance to fully test the Fazer since it was "full monty'd" by Mike.

Apart from the fact that the bike now goes like hell, I keep hunting for 6th gear even though I'm in 6th. The bike just has so much grunt from real world 4k revs in top. It goes like it did in 5th or 4th before. No need whatsoever to change down to overtake at say 40/50MPH.

I even checked the rear profile of the tyre to make sure it's a 180/55 and not something like a 180/50 because it now feels under-geared. Totally awesome  8)  Thanks Mike and of course Ivan for the R&D  :)

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: Feels like it's in 5th gear - Full Monty
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2013, 11:34:10 pm »
6th gear is 90mph at 6000rpm
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2013, 09:34:29 am »
richiomtt- i know exactly what u mean love how much better it is at lower revs too it really has changed the bike no more waiting for the power its just there all the time its like a new bike. Went out yesterday for a 80mile ride and loved every min of it was just brilliant,putting my r6 shock on too next week or the week after.My dad has had his done but hasnt managed to get out on it yet he is in for a shock.Mike you have brought the love back to the thou..

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2013, 02:40:51 pm »
There's luvverly, isn't it? :D

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2013, 05:58:22 pm »
Right, all of you just stop it now do you hear!!
I can never get over to the UK when Mike is there to work his magic, and I am not about to drill holes in the carbs unless supervised so stop telling me how good your bikes are  :'(
Seriously though enjoy your new bikes now that the warmer weather is here  :)
now if Mike wants to come to France and do my bike that's quite a different story  :b

Tommo

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2013, 07:17:02 pm »
There's luvverly, isn't it? :D
careful mike my girl is from cardiff,  just in case you dont know where that is its "up by there" the "just by here" then along abit and "down by there" isn't it ;-)

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2013, 07:36:13 pm »
Try droping one tooth on the front sprocket & two/three more on the rear, you will think your in forth gear.  A theoretical 70mph is a bit much for 1st gear for standard gearing, give the above above a bash you will be really surprised.

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2013, 07:52:05 pm »
OK I got the revs slightly wrong by 600rpm. 50MPH is 3,400 rpm. I tend to keep my eyes on the road, not the rev counter!

Just love it and no need to gear down any further. If anything I always thought it felt a bit under-geared.

Ivan's highly recommended and still doing 170 miles before the ornange light comes on  :)

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2013, 07:55:06 pm »
I have 1 off the front and 2 on the back, along with Mike's full Monty treatment. Power everywhere, it's great. Had to fit a gear position indicator to calm my left foot, lol.

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2013, 08:05:55 pm »
That's the setup I have 46 tooth FZ6 rear & Renthal 15 tooth front.  A bit noisy without the OEM rubber but the power.  Who needs to do 150 mph around this crappy police state, it's how it's gets there is the fun bit.

What about your tank range?