Date: 06-05-24  Time: 19:25 pm

Author Topic: BT023 Vs PR3  (Read 22385 times)

coansha

• Cager in Training
  • 2004 FZS1000.... So much fun it's unreal!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
BT023 Vs PR3
« on: 01 September 2012, 04:07:25 pm »
Apologies, I know there are plenty of threads on tyres but struggling to find the comparison I'm after.
Fairly new to on-road riding and still finding my feet but my Gen1 is in need of a new set of rubber.
So...
I am not a commuter, summer tours and quick blasts into North Wales, dry weather only..
Not too worried about how long they last, I am not going to skimp on tyres and it's grip I'm after not longevity (though obviously that would be nice too!)..

Looking through posts looks like BT023 Vs PR3

Can anyone help with what would suit me best? Or have I missed a tyre that would fit the bill better?

Realise it's very subjective but I don't have enough experience to make the call myselp, I just want plenty of grip around those Welsh corners!

Also, best place to get them fitted in or around Chester?

Thanks in advance.... :)

jabbascot

• DAS Born Again
  • newby
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: BT023 Vs PR3
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2012, 05:46:14 pm »
have 023 on mine superb does not do justice. i had these on my zx12 as well and seem to last forever and grip is superb

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2012, 06:07:52 pm »
If your bike still has standard Yamaha suspension it will be that that limits your handling or grip.

Demon Tweeks in Wrexham do ride in ride out service, and a big selection (phone first).

I was in TST tyres in Warrington a few weeks back, not too far from Chester, and they had a deal on for BT023 pairs (IIRC £240 a pair ride in ride out).

I have Roadsmart's on my Gen 1 and will be upgrading to Roadsmart 2 when I replace them.

I had PR1's on my bike before and they were great until about 2/3's worn, then they were horrible (plus they are French  :thumbdown [size=78%] [/size]) and I wont have them on my bike ever again.

Good luck

lingy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2012, 07:09:56 pm »
I know I will probably get slated for this, but have been riding know for 30 years plus on a large range of differant models and styles of bikes and there is an awful lot of crap talked about when it comes to tyres. Ive had the varying ranges of Bridgestones, Pirelis, Dunlops, etc, etc. Unless you ride every day as if its a track day most of the better known makes are a lot better than the rider. If you fit touring tyres they will do eveything you want and last that bit longer than sticky rubber and to be honest I have never noticed any differance between the two cornering, wet dry or otherwise.
The only exception to the rule is the lessor known cheaper makes which can be utter rubbish.
Originally had the BT,s fitted but know have the Mitchelin Pilot road 2 simply because they were on special offer, only differance ive noticed is they do seem to be lasting longer.
So basically any of the better known popular makes will serve you well.
Before anybody says it I am not an old fart who potters about, no chicken strips on this fellas tyres.       

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2012, 07:14:20 pm »
Both a great tyres and will easily do what you want. If you go 023 then be sure its not the heavy tour version. I had .023 s on and now have pr3 s
Think I prefer the pr3 but the 023 out performed me.
All modern rubber is fairly good, it will come down to feel and mileage as performance is good on anything.

John E Fazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2012, 07:22:49 pm »

Try F&B Tyres at  Sandbach Cheshire, excellent service and prices, ride in /out or fit to loose wheels.                       

01270 760795

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2012, 09:46:13 pm »
Very few duff tyres on the market these days. See what you can get the best deal on, and include Conti RoadAttack2/Metzler Z8/Dunlop Roadsmart2 on the list.

coansha

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2012, 03:19:57 am »
Thanks for the comments, think I am tending towards the BT023, can get a pair delivered for £209 though I'll check what the dealers above will do, fitted. The PR3 cost just a little more (£230) plus not so keen on that ribbed front...
Think the overwhelming feeling I get is that they are both good tyres and it is only my inabilities that will be the issue not the tyres!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2012, 05:56:25 am »
The PR2 has been the best I've fitted on the Thou.  Nearly 7000 miles out of a pair and consistent grip/steering right to the end. 

Maybe not the ultimate in wet weather grip (if you believe the marketing hype about the latest generation of tyres) but available cheaper now. 

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2012, 09:11:56 am »
The PR2 has been the best I've fitted on the Thou.  Nearly 7000 miles out of a pair and consistent grip/steering right to the end. 

Maybe not the ultimate in wet weather grip (if you believe the marketing hype about the latest generation of tyres) but available cheaper now.

:agree

PR2's are a better tyre than the 3's IMHO - unless wet weather grip is your aim.

Lingy is also spot on, most modern sport touring tyres will allow you to drag the pegs on a Gen 1 so more grip than that is just wasted unless you are doing track days.

I also ran them successfully on my K5 and had the pegs skimming on that at indecent speeds.

Have just stuck a new PR2 rear on my Busa as well.

And bearing in mind I run a bike shop and can have basically a choice of anything I want at trade prices then my recommendation is worth listening to.

Just to add some balance, don't fit them to a ST1300 if you enjoy enthusiastic riding, the heavy weight transfer under braking ovalled the front when I ran them on my Pan. BT023 GT's are the job for that lardy beast.....

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2012, 12:01:34 pm »
If you fit touring tyres they will do eveything you want and last that bit longer than sticky rubber and to be honest I have never noticed any differance between the two cornering, wet dry or otherwise.

I agree with most of what you say.  I haven't tried the BT23's, but I did have BT020's.  I then fitted PR2's.  The PR2's are much harder wearing than the BT020's.

What I did notice, other than the much better tyre life, was that while the OE Metzler ME4's were slow to turn in (not to mention poor grip and mileage), on the BT020's the bike positively dropped into turns.  The PR2's however seem to be neutral.  They neither need persuasion to turn in, nor do they feel like they are dropping in.  I felt they were perfectly balanced.

Also the PR2's don't seem to square off quickly.

But I'm afraid I've never tried the BT23's.

coansha

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2012, 03:33:49 pm »

:agree

PR2's are a better tyre than the 3's IMHO - unless wet weather grip is your aim.

Lingy is also spot on, most modern sport touring tyres will allow you to drag the pegs on a Gen 1 so more grip than that is just wasted unless you are doing track days.

I also ran them successfully on my K5 and had the pegs skimming on that at indecent speeds.

Have just stuck a new PR2 rear on my Busa as well.

And bearing in mind I run a bike shop and can have basically a choice of anything I want at trade prices then my recommendation is worth listening to.

Just to add some balance, don't fit them to a ST1300 if you enjoy enthusiastic riding, the heavy weight transfer under braking ovalled the front when I ran them on my Pan. BT023 GT's are the job for that lardy beast.....

Whale

Damn you Whale for giving me more options!!!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2012, 03:45:01 pm »
I was down my tyre shop recently (Essential Rubber, very good!) asking about replacements for my BT21's. I wanted to know if I should stick another set of 21's on or try 23's, PR2's or PD3's

He told me that PR2's were the best tyre in his opinion. I'll be checking this out very soon...

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2012, 05:40:47 pm »
Ive Got 023s on my old Suzuki 1100 which i ride daily all year round and in my humble opinion there great wet or dry

just got S20 hypersport on my gen 1 1000 nice and sticky but not sure yet how long there going to last  :rolleyes

Glad i get them cheap  :D well cheaper than from a garage
« Last Edit: 02 September 2012, 05:44:26 pm by bigsteve »

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2012, 06:09:00 pm »
I've had BT020, 021, 022 and 023. I've also had PR2's and PR3's. Now I've got Metzeler Z8's.

All of these were chosen for longevity and wet-weather grip. THAT's what they're good at! According to your post, you're not interested in either, so these are not the tyres for you. Look at Michelin Pilot Powers or Pirelli Diabli Rosso, etc, etc.

« Last Edit: 03 September 2012, 09:32:53 am by MadDogMcQ »
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 September 2012, 06:35:41 pm »
I've had BT020, 021, 022 and 023. I've also had PR2's and PR3's. Now I've got Metzeler Z4's.

All of these were chosen for longevity and wet-weather grip. THAT's what they're good at! According to your post, you're not interested in either, so these are not the tyres for you. Look at Michelin Pilot Powers or Pirelli Diabli Rosso, etc, etc.
Agree with MadDog on this. I have used all of the above Bridgetone tyres and, although grip is great, I find the 023's the worst of the Bridgstone range so far. Also had a set of PR2's but for some reason did get on well with them. Took me ages to scrub them in aswell. 
I currently have Michelin Pilot Powers on my Gen 2 FZ1 and they grip very well in the dry but do not seem as good in the wet. Also a much steeper profile than the touring tyres mentioned so the bike tips into corners faster than I'm used too  :\

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 September 2012, 06:46:51 pm »

OK
  wont post my opinion again

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 September 2012, 06:54:47 pm »

OK
  wont post my opinion again

blimey  :eek :eek :eek :eek

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 September 2012, 06:56:47 pm »

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2012, 08:07:15 am »
its amazing how 2 different riders will love or hate a tyre...but that is the answer...its all subjective.Just as with choice of bikes, tyre choice is very much down to the individual.
For my part I do rate the 023s for 2 reasons-
1. in the wet ,in cold damp alps last year they  gripped superbly, they aint racing wets but they grip reallywell, and in  only just damp conditions were very confidence inspiring. The so called intermediate riding conditions which unsettle many a rider.

2. On a trackday they bobbled up at the edges like a sport styre..the grip is unbelievable. Way way ahead of the 020.I accept that many riders wont ever use them to such a degree, but I have seen what they can do, and am secure in the knowledge they wont break away at big lean.

coupled with very good mileage ( 4500 to 5000 from a rear) , they do me very well.

Havent tried the PR3, but at michelin prices, probably wont either !

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2012, 11:10:29 am »
The last tyre's I bought were Dunlop TT100 front Avon Roadrunner rear but I guess things have moved on. Currently running BT020's and they're better than me :rolleyes
Andy

honmonster2000

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph T'Bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2012, 09:44:06 pm »
I have just had a set of  BT020's  approx  two weeks old. I did a track day on them and they were great.Gave me lots of grip and Gave me lots of Confidence and I  felt very safe on them. ,, A new set of tyres whatever  make feel good after the old ones start to square off.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 September 2012, 07:18:31 am »
Try the 023, because it is a next generation tyre compared to 020. Just a much better compound mix IMHO, well worth the slight extra spend.I have had dozens of 020 over last 14 yrs on my bikes, I can tell the difference.Its got the grip of a sport styre with the longevity of a touring tyre. Perfect for the road. AND I also rate the dunlop roadsmarts, very similar performance.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 September 2012, 10:24:52 pm »
Just replaced my rear 023 for the MOT it lasted less than 3000 miles so that's 25% less mileage than I was getting from the Avon Storm II's. I made the switch because the Storm Front was wearing oddly and I wasn't the only one who had the issue.
With the 023's the bike was slower to tuck in than the Storms and at first I didn't like this but after a while of getting used to them they grew on me offering the usual Bridgestone feeling of predictable and confident handling, they did feel grippier than the storms but I'm not sure this warrents the 25% shorter lifespan.
Next tyre change will be both wheels so I'll be giving a pair of PR2s a go.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 September 2012, 10:26:54 am »
Apologies, I know there are plenty of threads on tyres but struggling to find the comparison I'm after.
Fairly new to on-road riding and still finding my feet but my Gen1 is in need of a new set of rubber.
So...
I am not a commuter, summer tours and quick blasts into North Wales, dry weather only..
Not too worried about how long they last, I am not going to skimp on tyres and it's grip I'm after not longevity (though obviously that would be nice too!)..

Looking through posts looks like BT023 Vs PR3

Can anyone help with what would suit me best? Or have I missed a tyre that would fit the bill better?

Realise it's very subjective but I don't have enough experience to make the call myselp, I just want plenty of grip around those Welsh corners!

Also, best place to get them fitted in or around Chester?

Thanks in advance.... :)
I put Pirelli Angel ST on my Gen 1 Fazer two years and 12,000 miles ago, they still had plenty of wear left when I sold it after riding in all weathers, never gave me a moments doubt. Tried Pirelli Corsa III dual compound on R1 good wear but didn't warm up enough in the winter, came off twice in cold freezing conditions :(  [/size][/color]went back to Diablo's and still had god wear and much better grip.[/font]
[/size][/color]Planning to try Angel ST on Gen 2 Fazer, has Metzlers on which will need replacing soon as they were squaring off when I bought the bike, finding them fine too.[/font]
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous