Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:15 am

Author Topic: Chain adjuster snapped!  (Read 1075 times)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Chain adjuster snapped!
« on: 20 June 2015, 05:08:19 pm »
Hi all, thought the chain was a bit sloppy so tried to adjust tension this afternoon.

Chain side adjuster was nice and free, but other side did not want to budge. Used lots of wd40 on the thread, got a socket it on it and was gently turning it forward and back when it snapped off.

Anyone else had this happen and if so what did you do to fix it? Even if this has not happened to you, any ideas on how to fix it?

On and how long is the adjuster bolt, the bit that snapped off is about an inch long, if I have to drill out the rest I would like to know how much there is likely to be left in the swingarm.

Cheers in advance.

Tommo

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: Chain adjuster snapped!
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2015, 11:56:15 pm »
Yup, I've done that, you’re not alone Tom!

With the socket being slightly too thick, I was putting a slight side sideways force on the adjuster screw and ping, off it went.

Whipping the swingarm out isn't that big a job and I got to grease the swingarm linkages so I took it to the happy Yamaha people and they drilled it out, helicoiled it and one side it now a 10mm adjuster. I don't know how long they are though.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2015, 08:20:23 am »
Thanks for the reply AyJay, unfortunately the bike now has to live outside in communal parking, I had to leave my house with garage and driveway so taking the swingarm off is not really an option. So I guess I will have to very carefully drill out the damn bolt remains and try to tap out a slightly larger hole and fit an 8mm bolt.

This had to happen right when I was about to start altering the seating position with mods suggested by other foccers, hopefully I will still have some funds available to do that.

Cheers

T

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2015, 11:03:43 am »
If you guys are referring to the 12mm bolt? just get the bike down to the nearest machine shop or a trusted mechanic. He/she will then just remove the rear axel/wheel so they can drill the bolt out. Worst case its will need a time-sert/heli-coil.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2015, 09:25:01 am »
Well I finally managed to drill out the old bolt and retap an 8mm thread so now I have replaced the bolt and applied lots of nice copper grease so hopefully it will not  seize up and snap again.

Surely a company like Yamaha could afford to grease bolts when assembling their bikes??

It was a bit of a pig to drill out as the drills need to be much longer than normal, not easy to find in small diameters.

Now just got to get the rear wheel aligned, any bright ideas on how to do this on your own, outside??