Date: 28-04-24  Time: 12:47 pm

Author Topic: Busted Fazer - what are my options?  (Read 9409 times)

bootz76

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Busted Fazer - what are my options?
« Reply #25 on: 12 August 2012, 08:17:59 am »
stanchions are about 100 quid each depends if you want them silver or black or gold, try allbike engineering in greenwich london,or phillpots in luton will rechrome them they did my exup ones years ago,they also do brake calipersand pistons,

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 August 2012, 08:48:05 am »
Thanks for all the replies :)

Mark, what else apart from a bench will I need - best assume I have no equipment. Would it be easier if I hire a van and drive it to Hull? If not, how many people would it need to take the engine out and I'll ask at work.

Right, am off for an 8 mile run (or a 4 mile run and a taxi ride) :(

Bias

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSF 650 Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 August 2012, 10:04:05 am »
Long story short, 2 of the exhaust studs have snapped. A kind mechanic from York Suzuki rode to my place to take a look and says that because of the position of the studs (i.e behind the frame) it would be costly to fix as the engine will have to be removed
Sounds like an engine out to me or head off to me ....

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 August 2012, 05:43:28 pm »
if you can get it over to hull that be the easy way as iv got all the tools here but i could bring some to you,to do exhaust studs we need(min!)good socket set,spaners etc etc(i can bring these)drill and good sharp drill bits (hss) and taps,i have all of these but not sure how much i can fit onto my bike ! iv not pulled an engine out of fazer but done others and cant see why 2 of us cant lift it out ,it doesnt need to be on a bench to do studs but better on the back and arse than it been on floor!
the more you can do to get it ready to pull out the better ie removing as much as possible ,do you have somewhere to work undercover?
as for the forks you would need to get the bits before i can do them but id concentrate on one job at a time! i might be free next sat but at cadwell on sunday if thats any good? it would cost you good money to hire van to come to hull but if you can beg/borrow one then that be good otherwise think be better at yours? have you got use of a trolly jack to assist removal? mark   

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 August 2012, 06:18:19 am »
Was at work yesterday afternoon / evening and again all day today (13 hour shift). I haven't got any of the things you mention. Day off tomorrow so will look around for vans / ramps / hire equipment and see what's available.

Sorry am working Sat and Sun this weekend but am free the weekend after, and various days in between.

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 August 2012, 07:11:58 am »
13 hour shift are not good for you! iv got most tools so see what we can work out,no probs about sat,im at work in week (mon to fri) i might be free one day the next weekend but will have to check if thats ok

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 August 2012, 11:01:55 am »
We get 3 or 4 breaks through the day so it's not so bad, and it means we work fewer days for the same number of hours.

"The more you can do to get it ready to pull out the better ie removing as much as possible" - as shown in the pics the downpipes are still on - shall I have a go with the other studs? How much time and effort is it to fix each snapped stud i.e. do I have to be super carefull to get the last of the nuts off?

I assume I'll need more studs - if so I'll get stainless ones off of ebay.

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 August 2012, 06:39:48 pm »
leave the exhaust on so you done break any more,if you can wire brush or similar areound the nuts and spray wd40 or something that will help but il bring blow torch etc to hopefully remove the others without snapping,each one i did took nearly a hour but the engine was in bike so pain to get to!
you of course need new studs and maybe gaskets ? while bike is in bits do you want do owt else like plugs,filters,etc you will need new coolant 
even if you remove tank,chain and  maybe some bolts etc it all makes it but easyer for me but if you havnt tools dont botch it or mess it up as will take longer to do then!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 August 2012, 07:43:10 pm »
Better than WD40, is a proper penetrating oil such as Plus gas, WD also do one, black and orange cannister from memory...

Fazer87

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 August 2012, 11:01:07 pm »
Heyhey,

First post here - and in true vulture style ;)

If you do end up breaking down the fazer - dibs on the carb inlet rubbers.  Mine are cracked and although its probably an age before they properly crack right through, I want a spare set at the ready.

PM me with a price and lets get going:)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 August 2012, 12:53:47 pm »
If you are gonna use stainless studs you MUST use copper grease when fitting, otherwise they will weld themselves to the alloy engine, especially as that's probably the hottest place on the whole bike.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2012, 01:16:27 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 August 2012, 03:33:34 pm »
Penetrating oil: I used Stuk Professional Penetrating Oil on the ones I tried before (with mixed results :rolleyes ) and I'll start again, doing it daily from now on.

Gaskets: I assume you mean these?: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/02-03/picture/exhaust_gasket_front_-_aluminium_fibre/
(they also do copper ones)

Dust seals: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/02-03/picture/fork_dust_seals_pair/
Is this all I need? Will I need new fork oil or fork oil seals?

Mark do you live near Hull rail station or a bus route from there? If so it would be cheap to hire a van midweek, drop the bike off then train it over to yours at whichever weekend to work on it. Would you have the space?

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 August 2012, 06:19:11 pm »
i would leave the forks for now as it sounds and looks like better forks be a better option than just doing the seals etc but realy upto you what you want to do with the forks. iv got room outside  i can have bike  and can get a bit of room in garage to work on engine,forks etc,there is a bus stop 2mins walk and that goes stright to town centre where there is a train station but the van hire and then bus /train wont be cheap,have you got room we can work on bike?if so i can bring tools and if needed bring engine or forks home maybe? depending on how much of a rush you are to get it back on road we could get exhaust studs done,engine back in bike then you sorce forks out or do them at later date? mark 

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 August 2012, 07:50:49 pm »
if you're on a tight budget you might get away with using the forks that are on the bike because the rust spots seem quite high up and the fork isn't leaking so the rust spots must not be interfering with the seal.

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16 August 2012, 10:16:47 pm »
Forks: :thumbup I guess if we got it going I could enjoy the Indian summer we'll hopefully have, then send them away to be fixed in the autumn.

Mark I'm just the oily rag so if you say you'll be OK to work here then that's fine with me. There's nowhere covered to work here just the block's car park. There's room just no equipment.

There's a tool hire place nearby that does an engine hoist (see below) - would it be useful or totally useless for a motorbike engine?

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 August 2012, 07:08:05 am »
fargo im happy to come there and will save you heaps on van hire etc etc just need a dry day/s then! i dont think we need an engine hoist as altho there heavish there not like a car lump! if you can get an extra pair of hands for the lift out then that be good if needed,can you take a photo of the broken studs to show which ones they are or tell me which they are ,cheers mark

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 August 2012, 08:37:10 pm »
OK, here it is. I've asked a chap at work who says that he'll come over if he's not working, and there's another guy I can ask. Will put up a picture maybe Sunday (am working most of this weekend).

Not sure if I explained properly, but the reason I was taking the bolts off was that the collars snapped so I need new downpipes and will be ordering these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130748989381 They seem to have a good reputation on this site and easy to fit.

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 August 2012, 08:44:22 pm »
ps To all those that have posted and PM'd me about breaking the bike, if I decide on this route I will start a new topic to give everyone a fair chance :thumbup

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 August 2012, 09:22:15 pm »
fargo pics be great,hope we can get your bike fixed and you dont break it but if you are thinking of going that route let me know before i give up a couple of days tryinng to fix her up!
and to all you vultures out there wanting parts how about giving some time up and get the bike fixed not scrapped!

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18 August 2012, 05:55:59 am »
No I am not thinking of breaking :thumbup

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 18 August 2012, 10:13:25 am »
I would come and help - but you are some 250 miles away from me :P

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 August 2012, 03:52:02 pm »
thanks i know not everyone is close ish it only around an hour for me so not too bad im sure we will get farjo up and running in no time just got to fix a date to go over
I would come and help - but you are some 250 miles away from me :P

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 20 August 2012, 02:15:55 pm »
Just took pictures but they are mostly blurred or ill lit; this is the only one that you can see anything. This stud is pretty flat to the surrounding surface but the other one has a bit sticking out. They are the two middle ones i.e. studs 4 and 5.

I will have another go with the camera if the sun comes out.