Date: 01-05-24  Time: 07:52 am

Author Topic: Iridium Plugs,not worth the money!  (Read 10806 times)

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
Re: Iridium Plugs,not worth the money!
« Reply #25 on: 16 March 2013, 12:50:41 pm »
I fitted these to mt Fazer 600 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110823536730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 .
My old Rd350N (2 stroke) dosent like them but the Fazers fine :lol
Mark

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2013, 12:14:40 pm »
The benefit of iridium is because the electrode is smaller you get a stronger more reliable spark than on a standard plug and they last longer.
Well a spark is a spark, Ive certainly never had an 'unreliable' spark caused by a plug after 200k in the last 4years using normal NGKs. In terms of them lasting longer, Ive never had a spark of normal type fail on me. Ever. Before I was despatching/saving my pennies I had IRs fitted to my cbr600 but that had everything done to it (full ex system, power commder, etc...) so I can't say they did much.
I remember one comparision an old mechanic told me - you can spend 10 minutes trying to scoop out every last drop of your soup from your bowl - but is it really worth it ?

I didn't buy them because they increase the bhp - they probably don't, or you won't notice it.
I bought them because they seem to be a bit more reliable and never had a problem with them. Plus I feel good about getting the best possible stuff for the bike.
Something to consider for those of us who are looking to get the most power/performance out of our road bikes: A smaller electrode means less material in the combustion chamber which means a very VERY mild drop in compression (in turn a less complete burn and hence less power-maybe). Seems silly but Ive heard of  many R6 club racers use the CR9EK plugs which have 2 electrodes(EK) and sit 1mm deeper into the chanber. No advantage to two electrodes (you can only get one spark at a time) but that bit of extra meat increases compression (oh so slightly) and therefore horsepower.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 March 2013, 12:40:33 pm »
The number is the heat rating of the plug a 9 is a colder plug

Please can you tell me what difference the hotter and colder plugs make over the short term and long term and the benefits/disadvantages ?

cheers
Simon
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 April 2013, 05:18:23 pm »
The tip of the spark plug needs to be kept at a reasonable temperature - about 650C if I remember right.  Basically but not covering everything : .....
  If it runs too cool it will be prone to fouling building up on it, which may lead to the electrical energy travelling through the fouling or across it's surface as the path of least resistance to the metal shell of the spark plug rather than jumping the gap, hence no sparks.  :(
  If it runs too hot this will lead to excessive electrode wear and a fraction hotter it will lead to pre-ignition where the fuel-air mixture ignites under compression on this hot spot at the wrong time instead of when the spark happens later in the cycle, an extreme case of this can burn a hole in the top of the piston  :'(

The difference between plugs in a temperature range is the length of the thermal path from the tip to the threaded body shell, the longer the insulator path the hotter the tip will run under the same conditions.

All sorts of things effect this, on the heat creation side, fuel mixture, ignition timing, compression ratio, and engine load being main ones. On the other side the rate that heat is dispersed away from the plug through the cylinder head.

So ultimately you want a plug that stays in the self cleaning sweet spot without overheating through the load range for that engine,  :D  Yam will have spent some time assessing that, I hope

Oh, PS, look out some plug manufacturers run their numbers the other way ie higher = hotter

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 February 2015, 05:25:20 pm »
Iridium plug after 32,000 miles

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 February 2015, 06:45:06 pm »
Middle one looks sweet & well worth the money but the other 2 look burnt out wastes of space :b
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 August 2016, 02:59:42 pm »
Was searching for rough life span of iridium plugs I've done close to 40k miles on mine.

That aside has the one in the middle still got spark  ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Carter

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DT200WR
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 August 2016, 09:59:42 pm »
While i'm on the subject,what is the difference between Red & Black plug caps please???

Cheers Ray
[/quote]

Red caps definitely make you go faster ;)
Rust never sleeps !

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 August 2016, 10:25:37 pm »
While i'm on the subject,what is the difference between Red & Black plug caps please???

Cheers Ray

[/quote]

I've got red caps on a black bike, goes like a rocket   :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 August 2016, 11:09:06 pm »

Cheers Ray

I've got red caps on a black bike, goes like a rocket   :lol

Imagine if you had BLUE caps on it. It would be uncontrollable. :) :rolleyes
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.