Date: 18-05-24  Time: 21:46 pm

Author Topic: whats better k and n or genuine part air filter ?  (Read 10699 times)

Gaz73

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: whats better k and n or genuine part air filter ?
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2012, 12:29:54 pm »
I'm using the K&N filter, top job and you can puck them up a lot cheaper on eBay than the high street ;)
Your never too old to learn something stupid

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2012, 12:39:00 pm »
Running K&N on mine, you can certainly hear it more, noticed a slight increase in low/mid range.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2012, 12:24:21 pm »
I thought that you had to re- jet or somthing if you fitted a K and N
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2012, 02:14:49 pm »
If you really wanted to make the most out of it for track days etc then I guess you could, but for every day use its not required. As many have said, the Fazer tends to run a bit lean rich as standard so having more air shouldn't be too issuesome unless there is TOO much.

Regardless, I haven't needed to re-jet and ive not experienced any problems since having fitted mine.

Edit: Thanks to Gnasher for pointing out my stupid mistake... My theory was correct, just used the wrong terminology ;)
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 07:21:39 pm by Dead Eye »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2012, 02:27:50 pm »
the Fazer tends to run a bit lean as standard

No mate they run rich hence thats why you dont need to re-jet with a high flow filter :)
Later

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2012, 02:41:07 pm »
I think they run a bit rich too (too fuel for a given air) so the cotton filter and the open exhaust compensate. Also looking at the sizes of the Dynojet kit, I think it is leaner than the standard one (if I did not interpret it wrong), when it is richer in most of bikes. Can anybody verify this?

The last times that a mechanic or I looked at the spark plugs they looked fine but I bought my bike used with an insane can, so I do not know if the fueling was adjusted.

I ask again, anybody is cutting the intake silencer? :evil
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 02:44:36 pm by Motorbreath »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2012, 03:33:54 pm »
I think they run a bit rich too (too fuel for a given air) so the cotton filter and the open exhaust compensate. Also looking at the sizes of the Dynojet kit, I think it is leaner than the standard one (if I did not interpret it wrong), when it is richer in most of bikes. Can anybody verify this?

The last times that a mechanic or I looked at the spark plugs they looked fine but I bought my bike used with an insane can, so I do not know if the fueling was adjusted.

Mate you can't get a jet kit for a FZS well not in the UK, you can get them in other counties mainly to correct emission jetting.

You can stick on ANY good quality end can and ANY high flow filter the standard jetting will coupe no problem, jet kits are there to allow for tuning modifications.  Most other carb bikes don't run as rich as the FZS so require jetting to run with a open can and filter.  The higher the stage the more tuning you can do i.e. engine the FZS really isn't worth tuning it's already very highly tuned, and would require serious money which just isn't worth it.

Later

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2012, 03:53:16 pm »
I have a K&N fitted and it's given me no problems at all, midrange is a little better but marginal.

As for insurance, I'm shocked by how cheap everybody's are. I pay £550 for TPFT with 3yrs no claims and that was the cheapest after hours of searching. I guess postcodes are important and one in London is not going to get you any discounts!

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2012, 04:48:55 pm »

Mate you can't get a jet kit for a FZS well not in the UK, you can get them in other counties mainly to correct emission jetting.

You can stick on ANY good quality end can and ANY high flow filter the standard jetting will coupe no problem, jet kits are there to allow for tuning modifications.  Most other carb bikes don't run as rich as the FZS so require jetting to run with a open can and filter.  The higher the stage the more tuning you can do i.e. engine the FZS really isn't worth tuning it's already very highly tuned, and would require serious money which just isn't worth it.

Not sure, I think the emissions law is the same for the whole EU, and the bike wasn't exported to the USA. Their data sheet says they are mostly for stock bike, so the kit would just fix the fuel excess when stock. You can download it from here:
http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/yamaha_euro.aspx
So again it is proved that the fzs is the best bike ever, it even comes ready for cotton filters and race cans  :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2012, 05:12:54 pm »
Mate EU bikes are different Swiss for sure and the Austrian I'm told are as well and there are some differences between other counties, remember the FZS is a 14 year old bike and EU countries had different levels then some still do!  The site in the link is EU not UK, if your bike is UK you will be wasting your money but it's your money!
Later

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2012, 05:42:22 pm »
OK, I thought that the Euro-1 was standard already, but I have just compared my spanish catalogues to english ones and the codes and sizes of the carburettors parts are the same. They changed over the years though (in both countries), in 2000 and 2002, so maybe not all of them run rich. My spanish 99 runs ok with original jets and race filter and can anyway.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 05:43:40 pm by Motorbreath »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2012, 07:20:34 pm »
the Fazer tends to run a bit lean as standard

No mate they run rich hence thats why you dont need to re-jet with a high flow filter :)

*facepalm* Yes, rich is what I meant, I did do a double take when I wrote it but it didn't twig  :rolleyes