Date: 28-04-24  Time: 11:03 am

Author Topic: dogs running loose  (Read 5706 times)

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
dogs running loose
« on: 06 March 2012, 01:25:40 pm »
out for a quick ride this morning all going great called into the corner shop for newspaper set off down road into my estate 3 lads with a mutt saw them look at the dog knowing what it was going to do ans shure enough soon as i got near the little shit runs strait at the bike, now I have been bitten a few times on my estate by mutts running loose so i slowed down to about 10mph and put my foot against my lh foot rest to make sure that any contact would usher dog away from the wheels as i am a dog owner and would not want to run over a dog on the bike or in the car was i right or should i have stopped and risked getting bitten again.

expectation is the foundation of disappointment if you can be happy with nothing then serenaty is yours

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: dogs running loose
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2012, 01:57:03 pm »
I wouldn't have stopped. Apart from a bite it might have jumped at you and knocked you over, maybe into the path of another vehicle.

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2012, 03:31:23 pm »
Run it over - if it is being bought up by chavs see it as an act of mercy.

*warning - this post contains some humour*

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2012, 04:31:30 pm »
Depends on the size of the animal. If it's large enough that hitting it is likely to cause you to come off then avoiding it is preferable.
The last time a dog ran out at me was on the M3: it was small so I opted to maintain my speed and course since braking or swerving was more likely to result in an accident. Two seconds later the car behind attempted to swerve, but it's hard to predict which way animals will choose to run. I caught a brief glimpse in my mirror of the dog at an altitude of 8ft and the car sideways on the hard shoulder.

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2012, 06:01:25 pm »
Don't kick them at 30 mph as you can rip all the tendons and ligaments in your right ankle forcing you to limp for weeks, allegedly  :rolleyes

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2012, 06:56:36 pm »
Had one dog in a street near where I used to live that would always chase bikes when ever they went past had spoke to the owner about keeping the gate closed not interested in the least one time I was leaving via that street the dog came again managed to get a good connection with my foot big yelp and off it went (I was doing about 20-25 at the time) the girl caught up with me a day or so later and started to shout about what I did I reminded her of our "conversation" and suggested that if she kept the god secure this would not have happened (not in those words mind) the gate was still not being closed but strangely the dog never did chase me again  :)
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2012, 10:13:57 pm »
IIRC it's an offence not to have a dog on a leash on a public road (certainly I've seen signs on lamp-posts saying that down here in Portsmouth, but it may be a  by-law).

It is the case that if you're involved in an accident where a dog is injured or killed you have to report it to the Police if the owner is not around.

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2012, 10:54:03 pm »
Graham, I think the first one is a by law, the second is spot on, a cat you don't need to.

Crishner I would say you done right and you have a clear mind.......
..... on the other hand, let it chase you until there is a big enough gap between you and said neds, slow right down and give the dog a good swift boot on the shoulder, the dead leg will stay in its memory for a long time. Or, keep a steady pace so it can chase you but not catch you, let it follow you for a few streets then leave it. Hopefully the dog gets lost and gets picked up by Police/Warden and they (neds) have to pay to get it back, if not the dog get's a good new home.
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2012, 12:44:16 pm »
I kicked a dog in the nuts on my bike in 79 and now they all hate us
Its just a ride

Jonty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW F800 ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2012, 12:16:23 am »
Lure the dog out far enough then call the local council, report it for not only straying but being dangerously out of control in a public place (dangerous dogs relates to certain breeds - dangerously out of control in a public place relates actual harm to a human, or fear of harm to a human (NB: not harm to another dog!)).

Dog then gets taken to dog pound - owner gets charged a minimum £25 fine for straying, plus kennelling, plus (hopefully) a charge on the dangerous account - even if charge is not taken on dangerously out of control, dogs card is well and truly marked and if found doing the same thing again - owners will be bashed!

Bottom line, it's actually not the dogs fault it's been badly brought up (so shouldn't really be punished if possible) it's the arsehole owners who should be punished .....(from someone who used to manage a dog warden service at a council - admittedly over 4 years ago!)

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2012, 07:21:36 pm »

Bottom line, it's actually not the dogs fault it's been badly brought up (so shouldn't really be punished if possible) it's the arsehole owners who should be punished ....

I agree utterly. I was out on the mountain bike over the common today and got chased by two dogs that where out of control. We seem to be a nation of hopeless dog owners, why is it that nine out of ten dogs don't respond to their owner when they are called? And when will owners learn that if there are children/ bicycles/other dogs/old people etc approaching and you need to leash a dog you go over to the animal rather than call it back to you, it's so bloody simple...

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2012, 10:27:46 pm »
Fenton.... Fenton.... Jesus Christ Fenton....

Kinda sums it up, clueless irresponsible owners.

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2012, 07:40:00 am »
JESUS CHRIST IN RICHMOND PARK: ORIGINAL UPLOAD
expectation is the foundation of disappointment if you can be happy with nothing then serenaty is yours

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2012, 11:10:41 pm »
 why is it that nine out of ten dogs don't respond to their owner when they are called? And when will owners learn that if there are children/ bicycles/other dogs/old people etc approaching and you need to leash a dog you go over to the animal rather than call it back to you

Hi Phil, the bulk of your answer is in your sentence. When a dog is running 'loose' with the owner/handler in the vacinity and it does not respond to a command (which I think is then deamed out of control and the owner can then be charged) to come back, the worst thing you can do is go to it/ run after it. The dog either thinks its now a game or more often than not it knows you are angry and its chastize time, so it keeps its distance. Any time I have a problem with recall, I call the dog, and while calling I turn and run the other way, the dog will soon follow, then I start to whistle on it as I slow down. If the dog comes straight to me I reward it with a food treat, if it runs wide or past I throw a tennis ball which it will bring back or near. All this still makes chasing a game but only rewardable if it chases me. Simples.  :)

Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2012, 04:44:51 pm »
it bugs me when people let their dogs (usually zappy little rat like things) snap and bark at your dog .
My GS just wants to play fetch and is not bothered with other dogs but I get sick of having have him sit at my heel while the owner of zappy thing flaps around unable to control the bloody thing.
people should spend the time to teach their dogs some basic commands...rant over lol
Its just a ride

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2012, 05:13:16 pm »
Zappy little things?  Sounds like you need a zappy little thing too:
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/170670457890?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

Fowlersrs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2012, 08:24:45 pm »
JESUS CHRIST IN RICHMOND PARK: ORIGINAL UPLOAD

Honestly that is the funniest thing I have watched in a long long time, I feel sorry for the poor sod but its so funny u cant help but laugh...

I have a dog myself and remember being worried about them just running like that an never stopping, I thought I was gonna hear a bang from it getting shot in that video, lucky it was deer and not a heard of sheep/cows.. I know my dog will if I shout hard enough stop though as she knows if she doesnt shes in BIG trouble lol...

ive watched it twice and I cant watch it again else I wont stop chuckling to myself until about 9 tonite...  :rollin