Date: 27-04-24  Time: 20:34 pm

Author Topic: Fazer gen1 fzs600 1998, jitter between 4-6000 rpms (after fixing one plug)  (Read 1017 times)

dakipro

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Hi Peoples,
long time listener, first time caller :)
I found a lot of useful information here, thank you guys for that.

I have a fzs600 1998 that was running "fine" for a year. It was a bit jerky in low revs but everybody said it is "normal" (it was few times at mechanic).
I now changed spark plugs and found out that one of the cables no2 was not even connected to the spark plug. I replaced spark plugs and reconnected the cable and WOW, bike changed the sound completely (to better), response to throttle is much better, life is great!

It jittered few times in idle when I changed plugs 1 and 2 (lefto nes), but then response was fine in idle and I changed the rest.
Then in idle it was working awesome, except when I took it for a ride, i noticed that it started jittering between 4 and 6000 rpms in all gears :(
It would "stop" responding in mid revs. Around 7000 it would jump back into the power and drive ok (i couldn't test much in the city). Then it started jittering in idle as well, and then again it started working fine in idle, then I took it one more ride but now it would not even go up small hill in 1st gear.

And now is jittering/stumbling (looses power) in idle as well.
Throttle response is gradually getting worse so I would not mess with it unless I have some plan (which I don't)

What do you guys think, is it something that was "always" there but was not manifesting because one spark plug was not connected? Bike was running just "fine" for a year or so, even thought one plug was not connected. It was working ok all the time before sparks change.

Or is it something I've done wrong while changing the plugs? Maybe something got in the system (I was trying to be precise and gentle when replacing plugs)
I tested both new plugs with wires, and they were throwing a spark. . I tightened plugs by "hand" and a bit with the tool, are they maybe not tight enough?
Plug no2 that was not connected seemed a bit "oily" before change, and had a bit more dirt on the screws (I used canned air to clean crap that was around the plugs before changing them)

I read about cleaning the carbs, not sure if I would do it myself as I do not have a garage, but should I take it to the mechanic to clean the carbs or check it? Something I can test first in the holidays while workshops are closed?

Hope you guys can give some advice about fixing my lovely fazer, it is looking forward to the nice weather :)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Change the 4 plugs then you can rule out a plug issue.

Unscrew the plug caps and cut 10mm off the ends and screw the caps back until tight.

Balance the carbs, set the idle speed and finally set the TPS.

Let us know how you get on

dakipro

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
It turned out that I had water in the tank. I've drained carbs and removed the water from tank, then drained carbs again and now motorcycle is running like new!
Thank you for helping.