Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Gen 1 - cold misfire & fuel filter Q

(1/1)

JayB:
2 things on my mind at once.

Bike seems to be developing a period of running on 2 or 3 cylinders when started from cold, not just overnight, even if left for a few hours.

Now, obviously, this could be plugs etc - but it had a full service 18 months ago and spark plugs are on the invoice. I will check them, once I can get hold of a Fazer tool kit, BUT this also made me wonder if something else is normal.

When you turn the key, the fuel pump or a solenoid seems to make a load of noises, must be where it's pressurising the filter? Is this normal or dies it sound like a problem?

Bike does soon clear and goes really well when warm - it's just very lumpy for about 20 seconds..

Falcon 269:
Age and mileage?  The bike, not you ... ;)

If plugs are good, check the connection between plug lead and plug cap.  Unscrew them, cut 1/2" off the lead and refit.

Could be first signs of this problem, too:  http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103599&highlight=found+carb+failure+mode

The sound of the fuel pump filling the float bowls is normal after you first switch on but it should stop after a few seconds.  If the bike has only been stopped for a few hours, you should only hear it for a few clicks because the fuel level in the carbs should still be pretty close to full. 

JayB:
She's an 01 on a Y, just about 22k miles. I reached in there and the 2nd from the right hand side clicked onto the plug a bit more, but felt no different when I started it afterwards.
Will try the plug wiring too..
Have a fuel filter at home to change at some point, but as she's fine when warm, not overly worried about that, but the filling noise was odd, when I first bought the bike I worried it was a stuck servo / exup...

JayB:
Falcon, cheers, you've got me thinking now, it does feel more like flooding than electrical AND I have been wondering about some odd surging whilst riding on a light throttle.
It does NOT feel like the usual rough running from unbalanced carbs I had on a couple of Kwak ZX9Rs, but isn't right.
The Fazer does the usual start (with choke) and die almost instantly, I have read about, then is troublesome to start, taking a few goes.
My local bike shop sold the bike twice - and one guy had only done 200 miles between MOTs once and about 600 another year, I've done 800 miles in about 2 months on it, but with it having sat idle for so long, cracked O rings could be very likely.
Wish I had the cash to Ivanise it, but don't, but looks like the carbs need to come off for inspection and O ring change. Is there anywhere to source these at real prices not Yamaha..>?

JayB:
OK, so O rings will be done, but re-seating the plug cap made a small difference, think I'll chop a bit off the leads over the weekend while she's apart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version