keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
choke
« on: 08 November 2012, 11:50:36 am »
Hi had major probs starting bike this morning  :\ :\ so went in car
However upon my return i found that the choke lever was not moving the bar on the carbs, hmm i pondered fek i said new cable however on removing the choke mechanism off the handlebars i tugged vigorously at the cable to see if it was snapped and no it isnt  :eek :eek however it stil wont move said bar on carbs  :'( :'( :'(
ideas please??
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: choke
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2012, 05:21:59 pm »
You need to establish whether it's the choke bar that's seized or the cable.  Try pulling the choke bar itself with your fingers or a pair of pliers.  If it moves OK, troubleshoot back up the line. :)

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2012, 06:27:53 pm »
choke bar very stiff but moves a little maybe 3 or 4mm dont know how much it moved under normal circumstances  lol not looked there when been  using choke before,
will have to get tank off n see if something snagging or if it just seized with shite n the likes

"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2012, 06:48:05 pm »
My bar choke broke years ago.

Mine's Ivanised so doesn't often need choke.

But when it does I just grab the choke slider on the carbs.  It doesn't move far but more than 3 or 4 mm I think.  Maybe a wee squirt of lub would help.  Anyway I just grab that, fire it up, hold it for half a minute, maybe a minute, let it go, glove on and off I go.

So I've never bothered fixing the bar choke.  I've always thought they are a bit silly anyway. 

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2012, 08:07:24 am »
Mines ivanised by the man himself above Mike (post above lol not God)  ;) tho after ivanising their bikes some say that it could be one and the same it makes so much of a diff to their bikes lol
Anyway it still need a tad of choke in this weather first thing, can you get to the bar with just the tank off or is it carbs out all the way????

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2012, 08:32:23 am »
Dissasemble the lever, see whether it's all fitted as it should. Lube the choke cable. Put it back together. I do that every autumn. Do it with clutch and throttle cables as well.

Use this:

Or get this (not necessery IMO):

Just wait until oil starts dripping on the bottom end. The best thing is some motor oil and WD40 mixture: 1/3 motor oil, 2/3 WD40. It will nicely flow through cable housing, flush all the dirt, and leave a protective, lubricating oil film on the cable. If cable and housing is more than 5 years old, this makes very much sense to practice every autumn at least.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2012, 02:01:03 pm »
...  can you get to the bar with just the tank off or is it carbs out all the way????

I have no trouble getting to the bar ... oh, sorry, carbs.  Right, yes ... just look at the left hand end of the carbs to find the bar and pull it.  Simples.

If you need to get at the cable at the carb end, it's a tank up job but the carbs don't need to come out to change the cable.

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2012, 06:14:51 pm »
seems after much lube and wiggling ooohh errrr missus   :evil :evil :evil :evil     i have managed to free some movement in the bar, roughly abot 8 to 10 mm so shud be enough to get my baby fired up as was mentiond in a previous post it dont need much choke with the ivans on