Date: 28-04-24  Time: 18:43 pm

Author Topic: FZ1s gen 2 airbox mod  (Read 10610 times)

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
FZ1s gen 2 airbox mod
« on: 01 September 2012, 09:37:07 pm »
Well after watching and reading the tutorials on the web i since discovering the filthy air filter decided to do some modding. :eek

So step one order a K+N filter.

So here is the original flies and the blocked off air over run pipe. This used to cause a lot of loud popping on deceleration.

so tape up flies and remove them stuck in screws,heated a long large screwdriver red hot then hold it on the head of the screw to melt the threadlock.then size 0 screw driver.

Then trim 8 mm from the existing flies (sub throttles) to allow air to the butterflies as soon as they open,avoiding the delay of servo opening them

Then trim the air box to cut out the snorkel tube and enlarge the air inlet

Cut out done

Then the pretty bit, my new K+N filter in place

Oh and then the test ride,,and immiediatly the difference is noticable, the tall firsr gear usually almost stalls the bike but not now,it almost pulls away in first without opening the throttle.
The difference is very noticeable,smoother instant throttle response, oh and the bloody loud popping has gone on decelaration.
The flat spot at 2500 to 3000 rpm is still there, not below or above, just there.

But even at very low revs it pulls much smoother, i am very pleased with the result, and all for £40 air filter.

Oh and yes over the ton ,throttle open and hear the inlets growl,very nice,not to loud but there.

Plenty fast enough for me,it sure does go,front wheel lifting gives me the jeebies, our roads are like rollercoasters and 90 mph accelerating and the wheel is up, :eek
« Last Edit: 01 September 2012, 09:38:13 pm by manuel32 »
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1s gen 2 airbox mod
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2012, 03:15:03 pm »
Well done on the Mods  :)

But Manuel i do hope you also have a power commender fitted or your engine will be running to lean with the throttle flies cut down..
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1s gen 2 airbox mod
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2012, 07:24:24 pm »
No, no power commander , but this sure has helped the throttle response, just took it for a spin again,,much much better. :D

I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?