Date: 27-04-24  Time: 08:51 am

Author Topic: Cam chain rattle question  (Read 896 times)

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Cam chain rattle question
« on: 11 November 2022, 06:20:10 pm »
Hi folks, just bought a (fairly cheap) 2000 Fazer 600 with 19,000 miles on. It sounds like the cam chain has a rattle. The oil level is correct and I just took the tensioner out and there is lots of clicks left on it so am I right in thinking the chain is not worn? I put the housing back on and torqued it up then put the ball bearing, double spring and the other ball bearing in then the cap and torqued. Carbs back on and the noise is still there. Any suggestions, I can’t imagine the cam chain is nackered after 19,000 miles. Are there any tricks or tips to get the tensioner to come out a bit more? I tried the rear wheel in gear backwards but this didn’t help either. I’m stumped at the mo. Noise eventually goes after a few miles once fully warmed up.  :'(

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Cam chain rattle question
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2022, 06:45:00 pm »
did you reset the tensioner to full extension before reinstalling (releasing it all the way back out)

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2022, 08:05:48 pm »
Yes I extended it all the way out, it had quite a few clicks left, then I put it all the way back in and did this a few times to make sure nothing was sticking. I then put it all the way in before I put it back in the engine and let the spring push it back out up against the chain guide. I’m tempted to take it out again and push it out an extra click then put it back in to see if that makes any difference.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2022, 08:18:06 pm »
It will sort itself out over time, or take it for a spin and give it a blast to help it along.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2022, 05:05:04 pm »
Ok well it’s now sorted. I wasn’t comfortable thrashing a rattly engine so I took the tensioner out again and released it by one extra click. It fitted in the engine nicely so put it back together and torqued it up. Carbs back in and then I took the generator cover off and turned the engine over by hand a few times to make sure everything was ok. She fired up on the button and the noise has gone. Thank you for your input people, but the bike is now quiet again  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2022, 08:22:25 pm »
My bike is mainly for commuting (in traffic) and a few years back the rattle lasted for months.
Then one day it just stopped, and I thought something was wrong, the silence was deafening.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2022, 09:46:58 pm »
My bike is mainly for commuting (in traffic) and a few years back the rattle lasted for months.
Then one day it just stopped, and I thought something was wrong, the silence was deafening.  :lol
:lol