Date: 27-04-24  Time: 11:46 am

Author Topic: Yamaha fazer fzs 600 cuts out when clutch lever is released.  (Read 1793 times)

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Yamaha fazer fzs 600 cuts out when clutch lever is released.
« on: 24 February 2021, 03:09:31 pm »

Hi
I have a yamaha fazer fzs 600 on a 03 plate, seems to have developed an electrical fault. The bike will only start when the clutch lever is pulled in and when released it cuts out straight away.
Second when running if put in gear it instantly cuts out, i suspect both fault are related. Any help would same me a major headache.

Thanks in advance.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Yamaha fazer fzs 600 cuts out when clutch lever is released.
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2021, 03:33:47 pm »
heads thinking sidestand switch isnt disengaging (putting in gear kill)
i cant remember if clutch is always needed to start or not im sure someone will say below
do you still have a neutral light coming on, if you dont then than would say a problem with the neutral indicator switch/wire aswell

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2021, 03:50:05 pm »
heads thinking sidestand switch isnt disengaging (putting in gear kill)
i cant remember if clutch is always needed to start or not im sure someone will say below
do you still have a neutral light coming on, if you dont then than would say a problem with the neutral indicator switch/wire aswell
Hi
you could always start the bike before without having to pull the clutch lever in and yes the neutral light is working fine. Seems as if the clutch lever switch is working in reverse, ie: having to pull the clutch lever in to start the bike as opposed to how it should work i think?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2021, 04:09:33 pm »
Sounds like sidestand switch - have a look you should see an industrial looking micro switch that has a plunger located so the side stand touches it when the stand is up.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2021, 04:24:40 pm »
Sounds like sidestand switch - have a look you should see an industrial looking micro switch that has a plunger located so the side stand touches it when the stand is up.
So do you think the side stand switch is playing around that's why i have to hold the clutch lever in to disconnect the clutch micro switch? that in turn enable the bike to start?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2021, 04:28:42 pm »
yep defo the sidestand switch then, obviously they dont want you pulling off with the sidestand down,
the clutch bit is a secondary issue which can be solved later, as its not a major issue
« Last Edit: 24 February 2021, 04:29:26 pm by Disorderlypunk »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2021, 07:01:05 pm »
Is your clutch cable adjusted properly at both ends?
That's what I would start with.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2021, 07:07:36 pm »
if its wasnt correctly set then it would THUD , lurch and stall not just cut out when putting in gear, certainly an electrical issue as its a combo of safety cut out switches not opening/closing a circuit

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2021, 08:17:56 pm »
Sounds like to look at the side stand switch first. Quick check is to jump it out where it joins into the loom

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2021, 04:38:25 am »
if its wasnt correctly set then it would THUD , lurch and stall not just cut out when putting in gear, certainly an electrical issue as its a combo of safety cut out switches not opening/closing a circuit

He's not actually mentioned if any of this is happening or not though.
Gotta start with the obvious and easiest things first, so if it's clutch related then you must have the clutch cable set up correctly for starters so that it can be eliminated.
The cable could even be frayed inside as well, and simply need replacing.

By the way, i notice nobody has mentioned what a nightmare the sidestand switch is to replace, and it's in a horrible position to get access to, so take that into consideration as it is not a straightforward swap at all. Just thought i'd give a heads up on that one.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2021, 09:07:51 am »

Thanks everyone i believe the clutch cable is set correctly as i have not had any issues with it in the past, looks like a side stand switch. Ill carry out the checks mentioned before tackling removal.

Gotta start with the obvious and easiest things first, so if it's clutch related then you must have the clutch cable set up correctly for starters so that it can be eliminated.

By the way, i notice nobody has mentioned what a nightmare the sidestand switch is to replace, and it's in a horrible position to get access to, so take that into consideration as it is not a straightforward swap at all. Just thought i'd give a heads up on that one.

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2021, 11:34:25 am »

Thanks everyone i believe the clutch cable is set correctly as i have not had any issues with it in the past, looks like a side stand switch. Ill carry out the checks mentioned before tackling removal.

Quick update, finally nailed the fault it was an intermittent connection on the pick up coil plug. As the side stand plug and neutral plug are located in the same place as the pick up plug i must have pulled one of the wire and so it became intermittent when trying to run. Still unsure as to why it caused me to have to pull the clutch lever in to start but it RUNS!!
Thanks again everyone for all your help.