Date: 28-04-24  Time: 04:07 am

Author Topic: Chain off / pushrod snap / casing damage  (Read 4411 times)

s2onius

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Chain off / pushrod snap / casing damage
« on: 18 August 2015, 11:04:54 am »
After months (literally!) of being a leech on these forums and poaching tips off of other threads, i've finally had the bad luck which has required me to ask for help myself!

Unfortunately my '00 FZS600 suffered a chain break at ~45 mph the other week, resulting in the clutch pushrod snapping and the sprocket cover taking a good bit of damage as well. Unfortunately one of the bolts holding the cover to the engine block was completely blown off in the process, causing a 'chunk' of the casing to be lost (couldn't find it anywhere despite looking for ages!) :\

I have had a look at the other threads reporting the same problem, and am hopeful that i'll manage to get the snapped 'rod out from the sprocket side using the magnet trick, and hopefully not lose the ball bearing in the process, but am concerned whether the bike will get through an MOT due to the damage caused to the crankcase... can anyone advise whether this would be an MOT failure (I will of course replace the sprocket cover, but I have no experience with removing the engine to replace / repair the crankcase...)

I don't think i've done a very good job of explaining, so have attached some grainy photos I took at the time. I plan to take some better pics tonight with the cover off to get a proper look at the pushrod etc). the bit in the really high-tech red rectangle is the bit i'm worried about  :rollin

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Chain off / pushrod snap / casing damage
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2015, 11:55:52 am »
Those pictures aren't very clear but a decent aluminium welder could probably build the casing surface up again as long as there isn't rubber parts near that will melt from welding.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2015, 01:10:19 pm »
Unless I am horribly wrong I do not see damage to crankcase this is sprocket cover and its £17 from fleabay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-600-SPROCKET-COVER-CLUTCH-ADJUSTER-FZS600-5DM-LOOK-BREAKING-BIKE-/371064205587

EDIT: I have seen it on the second photo  :eek

What his Dudeness said.

« Last Edit: 18 August 2015, 01:12:35 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

s2onius

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2015, 01:40:57 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah the pictures arent the best, I'll get a few better ones tonight and see if its any clearer. I'll do some hunting around and see if any local companies can give me a quote for building up the casing.

Any thoughts as to whether it would get through an mot without it? I know it is less than ideal but I'm wondering if with a new sprocket cover they would fuss over one bolt missing? Excuse my ignorance as I know next to sod all about these things, but if I can get the bike back on the road without throwing a tonne of money at it I'm keen to try anything!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2015, 02:11:41 pm »
It's far enough away from the clutch actuator that the missing screw hole shouldn't be an issue.
Replace the cover, of course. As for the casing, I'd clean it up with a Dremel and paint the edge black.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2015, 02:13:47 pm »
Get a replacement cover, a new push rod and new push rod oil seal.

Plenty of covers on ebay around the £20 mark.

Replace chain, sprockets, tab washer and 12mm nut.

Is there any cracks on the main crankcase or water pump?

Before you replace/or buy the chain and sprockets replace the push rod and seal, then start the engine and check for oil and/or coolant leaks.

Usual cause of chain breaking is poor maintenance and/or running the chain to tight. :wall

On the centre stand push the chain up to the plastic swinging arm protector, it should just touch without to much force.

s2onius

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2015, 08:00:25 pm »
Thanks for all your replies; really appreciate the help as I am really useless at this stuff.

as unfazed predicted, upon removing the cover I found the true extent of the damage: water pump has taken a hammering as well (i actually found the blown off part lying behind the case  :( for the sake of the picture it is roughly balancing where it came from)

this would explain why there was a rather large 'puddle' underneath the bike by the time the VRS truck arrived  :o in my haste I had (wrongly?) assumed it was oil...

am i getting to the stage where it is way beyond a novice to even attempt a repair? i'm going to have the bike off the road for the forseeable future anyway due to getting married, so I am happy to spend as much time on it as required, even if just to educate myself in these things as much as I can. I do have a bike garage ten miles away, however would like to do as much as possible myself for the experience.

I have attached a few more pictures which are hopefully easier to see....any further advice would really be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2015, 08:18:41 pm by s2onius »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2015, 08:57:27 pm »
I think you got away relatively lightly. Pumps are easy enough to get (plenty on ebay) and are also around the £20 mark, just get a new oil seal for it.

That sprocket looks relatively new, sounds like a tight chain might have caused the breakage.

s2onius

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2015, 09:22:41 pm »
thanks again for getting back to me; I genuinely do appreciate it.

I have had a look on ebay and have seen the pumps you mentioned. I am just wondering if this sounds like a reasonable / best plan of attack:

1) remove and replace pump (with new oil seal) [do I need to drain sump first? service manual suggests not but surely there's a risk of oil leak, or is that only when the system is under pressure?]

2) flush/check/refill coolant system to make sure my bodge has worked

3) replace pushrod & seal [am I right in saying that to do this correctly I remove front sprocket and then retaining clip for pushrod seal, as opposed to forcing one into the gap?]

4) providing the above has all worked and leak free, replace sprockets, washer, nut and chain

sorry for all the stupid questions, I really am a novice at all things mechanical but am keen to use this opportunity to learn as much as I can, but of course don't want to risk damaging the bike any further.

Thanks again.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2015, 11:47:05 pm »
thanks again for getting back to me; I genuinely do appreciate it.

I have had a look on ebay and have seen the pumps you mentioned. I am just wondering if this sounds like a reasonable / best plan of attack:

1) remove and replace pump (with new oil seal) [do I need to drain sump first? service manual suggests not but surely there's a risk of oil leak, or is that only when the system is under pressure?]

2) flush/check/refill coolant system to make sure my bodge has worked

3) replace pushrod & seal [am I right in saying that to do this correctly I remove front sprocket and then retaining clip for pushrod seal, as opposed to forcing one into the gap?]

4) providing the above has all worked and leak free, replace sprockets, washer, nut and chain

sorry for all the stupid questions, I really am a novice at all things mechanical but am keen to use this opportunity to learn as much as I can, but of course don't want to risk damaging the bike any further.

Thanks again.

No stupid questions there  :) Download the manual in the downloads, it shows the pump replacement on it.

Buy or borrow a  torque wrench as bolts are all arounf 10Nm and easy to over tighten if you are a novice at this.

You are better off draining the oil, replacing it and the oil filter, on the off chance there might be coolant contamination of the oil. Unlikely but always better to err on the safe side.

Use a sealant on the pushrod seal to ensure sealing against the crankcase.
Oil/grease the pushrod and the seal edges before inserting the pushrod.
Oil/grease the pump seal and crankcase where the seal will be also before installing.
There is also a seal on the outlet pipe which will need replacing.
Yes remove the sprocket and the seal stopper, makes the job easier.

The piece of the crankcase that was broken where the sprocket cover bolt and dowel go could be built up with plastic metal (JB weld or something like it) and the hole for the sprocket cover bolt and dowel could re drilled and screw hole tapped

Get the new 12mm nut (9mm still on yours) and tab washer. This has to be tightened to 90Nm

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2015, 06:41:30 pm »
Hello mate,

I don't know how you are getting on with this, but I might have some of the bits you need.

I just stripped an old engine as I needed some gearbox parts. Basically the engine had a knackered top-end, so I bought it for £100. It's now in bits in a box, I'm open to offers on parts, cash on collection NW London. Generally everything looks like it's in good condition but I can't promise as I never saw it running.

I have:
    both top and bottom engine cases in good condition
    Clutch push rod (and seal must still be in case)
    Clutch ball bearing
    Water pump
    No clutch cover unfortunately
    No sprocket or nut

Probably some other bits I have forgotten.

Brett
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-