Date: 25-04-24  Time: 13:40 pm

Author Topic: Winter gear recommendations  (Read 2557 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Winter gear recommendations
« Reply #25 on: 21 November 2019, 12:06:57 pm »
Best by far is heated grips gloves
FTFY

Heated grips warm the palms, but can leave you with cold fingertips. Heated Gloves may be a bit more expensive, but warm all the way down the back of the fingers :thumbup

I've got to say I did go to the Gerbing stand and try the heated gloves and they felt amazing but at £200 (for the battery pack version) I just couldn't warrant spending it for the short trips I make this time of year
If I were commuting 10+ miles a day though then I would have had them no doubt.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2019, 03:34:15 pm by Dudeofrude »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 November 2019, 12:11:01 pm »
Well I picked up some gortex gloves today, went with the "Richa Cold Protect Gortex"!
Seem very warm, have plenty of armour and are highly rated in reviews so will hopefully fair well. RRP is £100 but managed to pick them up along with a pair of RST Tractech Evo R race gloves for a bartered down price of £150, so savings of around £40 across both pairs... so happy with that
Also picked up the Richa Typhoon Rain suit as it was the one I had seen best reviewed and they were flogging them for £40, so figured it's worth a punt at that price 👌

Just remember to layer up - base layer from Screwfix £10.
Polo/T shirt then microfleece [size=78%]https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-beech-microfleece-pullover-black-medium-43-chest/6697d[/size] - Very good.

Oxford thermal socks are good + a pair of normal sports socks over the top (Puma etc from Sports Direct work well). Merino wool socks are great ...........if you can still wear them when you get to work. I just remove the sports socks.

Thermal neck flee e is good [/size][size=78%]https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/200989[/size]

Best by far is heated grips.

Best of luck fella

Thanks for the recommendations, those fleece tops from screw fix look brilliant for the price 👍
As for socks.... many years ago I used to work as a hand baller in a cold storage factory and learnt back then that 1 pair of socks will keep your feet much warmer than 2 pairs. The problem with 2 pairs is that the first pairs absorbs the sweat then has no air to release it so you end up with damp feet which in turn stay colder.
A decent pair of thermal socks on their own will usually do a better job 🤓
But to be fair my boots do a great job of keeping my feet warm and dry anyways, if anything it's my knees and inner thighs that suffer the most of a naked bike

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 November 2019, 02:27:55 pm »
What Grahamm said :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #28 on: 21 November 2019, 09:58:54 pm »
I've got to say I did go to the Gerbing stand and try the heated gloves and they felt amazing but at £200 (for the battery pack version) I just couldn't warrant spending it for the short trips I make this time of year

I bought mine with the variable power control and the bike connector over 10 years ago.

They've paid for themselves over and over even if I only ride two or three times over the winter :thumbup