Date: 18-04-24  Time: 07:33 am

Author Topic: is there a sticky on brake pads here ?  (Read 1794 times)

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
is there a sticky on brake pads here ?
« on: 31 January 2021, 04:27:30 pm »
dont want to annoy anyone asking a topic thats probably been done to death before etc, cant see a specific sticky on fzs600 brake pads but if there is, please give me a link to it, im in the market for new pads all round so want to get feedback about best pads etc .

TIA

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
Re: is there a sticky on brake pads here ?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2021, 07:08:50 pm »
OEM for me every time on my bikes. Usually a bit more expensive but worth it, in my opinion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2021, 10:44:07 am »
OEM for me every time on my bikes. Usually a bit more expensive but worth it, in my opinion.

:agree   The closest to OE if you don't want to pay the price is SBS.   
Later

NJD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2021, 10:54:26 pm »
I'd go with EBC all day long.

EBC HH or EBC organic if you want something not so extreme. There is an EBC HH extreme or suchlike on sportsbikeshop but with the blue-spots they'd probably be overkill for on the road use.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2021, 07:31:39 am »
...and there's your sticky.
  • OEM if you can afford them
  • SBS street Excel HH or EBC FA252 HH if you can't.
Joking aside, I think there are other decent HH pad manufacturers such as Brembo, but I've only used the three above and have never felt the need to try any others 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2021, 07:07:39 pm »
...and there's your sticky.
  • OEM if you can afford them
  • SBS street Excel HH or EBC FA252 HH if you can't.
Joking aside, I think there are other decent HH pad manufacturers such as Brembo, but I've only used the three above and have never felt the need to try any others

Pads are definitely a personal choice thing, but due to the longevity of them you have to have ridden for many years to try what's out there.

I would never use Organic for example as they cause too much dust for my liking, which is the very reason I prefer the ceramic SBS on the rear.

And I've been using Galfer pads on the front for years now and the feel I get from them is great, in wet or dry weather. Also when I clean up the calipers twice a year the pads keep their shape, wear evenly and there is no crumbling edges or rusting going on.
But the main thing I like about them is how disc friendly they are. They just don't seem to wear the discs at all.

Saying that, as you all know, you'll only get the best out of your pads if your caliper pistons are all functioning properly which is why I don't mind spending the time giving them a bit of TLC  :lol
« Last Edit: 06 February 2021, 12:23:09 pm by darrsi »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2021, 09:13:36 am »
all i will say on this is make sure you buy from a reputable supplier, there was a huge wave of fake known brands a few years back and because they were pointed out the sales slumped but they are still out there,
i got some dodgy EBC a few years back and bloody hell they were shit and didnt get better as they bedded in, i even put the old ones back in after a heart stopping 300 mile work trip, when i got back from the next trip the new ones were fitted and the difference was noticable instantly in comparison.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2021, 10:01:36 am »
The closest to OE if you don't want to pay the price is SBS
+1 and if you hunt around can be found almost as cheap as EBC.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2021, 11:47:47 am »
A few years ago when I replaced my fronts along with braided lines I put in Carbon Lorraine pads
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2021, 12:28:56 pm »
all i will say on this is make sure you buy from a reputable supplier, there was a huge wave of fake known brands a few years back and because they were pointed out the sales slumped but they are still out there,
i got some dodgy EBC a few years back and bloody hell they were shit and didnt get better as they bedded in, i even put the old ones back in after a heart stopping 300 mile work trip, when i got back from the next trip the new ones were fitted and the difference was noticable instantly in comparison.

Just so people know, the Ebay link i put up for the Galfer pads is by Calsports who i've been buying them from for at least 8 years now because i just spotted a post on here from 2013 of me talking about them.

As you mention that though, the same applies to spark plugs. I bought a set before that started failing after one month, and the shit thing is that because they were new you naturally look elsewhere for a problem, but fortunately i took the advice of my mechanic who said to change them again, and when i did everything went back to normal. I only ever buy plugs now from The Green Spark Plug Company.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2021, 12:36:10 pm by darrsi »