Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:41 am

Author Topic: Yamaha YISS (Yamaha Ignition Security System) FAQ:  (Read 4748 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Yamaha YISS (Yamaha Ignition Security System) FAQ:
« on: 16 July 2020, 03:59:42 pm »
So following from the FZ1 faq I did I am slowly working through all bullet points that I didn't have any info for at the time, namely the immobiliser that comes with a lot of newer Yamaha's. This system uses an antenna bolted to the ignition barrel that is connected to the ECU, when you place your key (which is coded to the ECU) in the barrel and turn on the ignition the ECU then does a hand-shake with the key allowing you to start the bike. So after a chat with 2 Yamaha dealers and 3x Auto Locksmiths (for motorcycles) I have collected the following info that should help out fellow owners -

Yamaha Dealer response:
  • If you loose one of your spare black/blue (normal) ignition keys - they can provide a blank for £35-30 and can then program it from your red key typically 30mins labour. Although why you would pay a dealer to do something you should be able to do yourself
  • If you loose your red master key but still have one of your black/blue (normal keys) - they wont able to help you. Their response is that you would have to buy a replacement lockset, ECU and immobiliser antenna.
Auto Locksmith response:
  • If you loose one of your spare black/blue (normal) ignition keys - they can provide a blank and program it for £65 for one key or £120 for 2 keys.
  • If you loose your red master key but still have one of your black/blue (normal keys) - they can provide a blank and program it for £65 for one key or £120 for 2 keys.
  • If your ign. barrel gets damaged (when someone tried to steal it) they can provide a replacement barrel and key £65 for key andprice of ign. barrel varies (amazon/ebay etc)
  • If you loose ALL your keys, they can either come out to you and program a set of keys £350-450 or you can bring the ignition barrel (anntena is bolted to it), the petrol lock, seat lock and ECU and they will cut and program a set of keys for £200. Bey aware this process takes upto 5hrs.
Autolocksmiths:
Programming your own spare key:
  • Insert RED MASTER key, turn on, start engine, stop and remove key.
  • Immobilizer light will start after 30 seconds
  • Reinsert MASTER key, turn ignition on, then off, remove MASTER and insert NEW key within 5 seconds and switch on ignition.
  • Remove NEW key, then re-insert and switch on, new key will enable immobilizer off and start engine.
  • Video of this above - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=26347.0
Misc info:
  • The Yamaha YISS isn't full proof, as it can be bypassed with a modify sub-loom that can be plugged into the main-loom bypassing the immobilisation function completely. Its always a good idea to have an alarm on the bike also - https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/dont-rely-on-your-oem-immobiliser.
  • The immobiliser emulators being sold on sites like ebay are technically illegal, yet ebay isnt doing f*ck all about them.
  • Beyond 2009 the morick system (yiss ) software/chipset was changed - and this can cause compatibility problems for the programming software that locksmiths use.
  • When programming your own spare key from the red master, you can only have one spare. If you want more than one spare, then its a trip to an Autolocksmith or your local yam dealer.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2020, 04:17:15 pm by b1k3rdude »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha YISS (Yamaha Ignition Security System) FAQ:
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2020, 10:50:09 am »
I think you should just add this to the main Gen2 FAQ :)
« Last Edit: 19 July 2020, 04:04:16 pm by PieEater »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2020, 04:06:31 pm »
I think you should just add this to the main Gen2 FAQ
I did think about that, but its a whole page all by itself.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2021, 10:01:05 pm by b1k3rdude »

GeorgeStuart

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2021, 02:51:16 pm »
Locksmith sheffield expert has cut and programmed a key at £110 and i think it's a good deal. What are your views on it?

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2021, 10:10:44 pm »
Locksmith sheffield expert has cut and programmed a key at £110 and i think it's a good deal. What are your views on it?
Hey George

What are the locksmith offering for that £110?
  • Are they saying they can program up another slave (normal) key? if so £110 is more than a yam dealer would charge (when the owner has the red master).
  • Or are they saying for £110 that they can program you up a new Red master key? if so that a is a very good deal/service.
  • Or are they in fact saying is they can program 2x slave (normal) keys for £110, which is about right.
-------------------------------------------------------

So I called them, and they don't deal with motorcycles.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2021, 03:45:13 pm by b1k3rdude »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2021, 01:49:10 pm »
I think you should just add this to the main Gen2 FAQ
I did think about that, but its a whole page all by itself.
In which case put a link to this thread in the FAQ so it doesn't get lost !?!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2021, 10:59:34 pm »
Its already in there, but I will make is more obvious.