Date: 11-05-24  Time: 07:27 am

Author Topic: Endless chain?  (Read 2271 times)

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Endless chain?
« on: 13 February 2013, 03:21:39 pm »
Hey everyone!

Anyone here fitted an endless chain to their Fazer? Got any tips?
I've got mine stripped to the point where, next I'd be taking the swingarm off. But I'm a bit apprehensive to do it. Does anyone know if it can be changed without taking off the rear shock absorber?
On a side note, i was pretty damn shocked to see the nut holding the front sprocket to be totally loose and only the locking washer holding it on.

-Mikko

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Endless chain?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2013, 03:25:28 pm »
Another victim of the front sprocket nut!
This really isn't good at all, they should've done a recall on the bikes to get them all sorted out!  :grumble
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2013, 03:36:27 pm »
Hi Foxwood, and welcome.
There's nothing too hard about fitting an endless chain if you have a set of sockets and a spanner or two. It's a good opportunity to clean and relubricate all the bearings in the suspension linkage as well as the swingarm bearings. :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2013, 03:38:45 pm »
it would be good to remove the shock at the same time and give it a good clean and grease the pivot points at the same time  :D  all ready for the cracking summer we`re going to have  :rolleyes
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2013, 03:41:03 pm »
it would be good to remove the shock at the same time and give it a good clean and grease the pivot points at the same time  :D  all ready for the cracking summer we`re going to have  :rolleyes

sorry fazerrider...posted at same time but i could`nt be bothered to re-read the post  :o ....great advice by the way  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2013, 03:47:48 pm »
Another victim of the front sprocket nut!
This really isn't good at all, they should've done a recall on the bikes to get them all sorted out!  :grumble

I agree. Funny enough, the only reason I'm changing my chain and sprockets is because of the odd noise they were making especially when changing gears. But now afterwards, I'm pretty sure in saying that the noise was caused by the loose nut. Might as well change the chain and sprockets now since I bought 'em.  8)

Hi Foxwood, and welcome.
There's nothing too hard about fitting an endless chain if you have a set of sockets and a spanner or two. It's a good opportunity to clean and relubricate all the bearings in the suspension linkage as well as the swingarm bearings. :)

Hi Fazerider! Thanks for the welcome, been a lurker for too long. Good to know that it isn't as hard as it looks then.  :)

Alright, guess I'll take the rear shock off as well then and do some maintenance on that too. Summer is so far away up here in Finland.  :'(

And thanks for the advice!  :)
« Last Edit: 13 February 2013, 03:48:39 pm by Foxwood »

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2013, 04:09:07 pm »
Wasn't too big of a job to pull all of them out, just required a whole lot more grunt than I originally thought.  :lol  Decided to buy a cheap jack-up kit also and am waiting on them, before I put the back-end together. The local Yamaha dealer finally answered my contact request (after only waiting for week) and is sending a query to the Yamaha importer about the front sprocket problem. Apparently they haven't heard about such a problem either.  :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2013, 04:23:57 pm »
@ChristoT wrote:

"....However, I'd done my homework, and quoted the service numbers to the chap (see the article "Lost your front sprocket" - hidden in there is a reference to Service note 2005-12A). He said I would have to call Yam UK to confirm it. So I did, and got a very helpful chap at the other end who was very apologetic, but confirmed that the job WAS Yamaha's responsibility, and that the cost of replacing the sprocket would be covered by Yam UK. But the dealer did try and play the "first I've ever heard of it" card. He did back down after I told him I'd just spoken to Yam UK, and that they would foot the bill...."

Maybe you should quote that service note number.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2013, 04:31:20 pm »
@ChristoT wrote:

"....However, I'd done my homework, and quoted the service numbers to the chap (see the article "Lost your front sprocket" - hidden in there is a reference to Service note 2005-12A). He said I would have to call Yam UK to confirm it. So I did, and got a very helpful chap at the other end who was very apologetic, but confirmed that the job WAS Yamaha's responsibility, and that the cost of replacing the sprocket would be covered by Yam UK. But the dealer did try and play the "first I've ever heard of it" card. He did back down after I told him I'd just spoken to Yam UK, and that they would foot the bill...."

Maybe you should quote that service note number.

I did. Also added the technical bulletin regarding the FZ6s and R6s. But I'm not too surprised, the local dealership is a bit of shitstain. They offer only the bare minimum amount of helpfulness and mostly double rates on spares anyway. Maybe the importer will have something more constructive to say. Either way, I'll continue to pursue until I hit a dead-end.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2013, 06:41:24 pm »
The disappearing nut is a well known problem, why else would the Yamaha didtributors give me every part I required for half price to replace my knackered shaft after 72000 thousand miles.
See the downloads section.
Fitting an endless chain is a worthwhile excercise that allows you to check all the bearings in the suspension and arm as stated in some previous posts
« Last Edit: 16 February 2013, 06:45:28 pm by unfazed »

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2013, 10:55:40 pm »
Well looks like the importer is going to be even more *sshole-ish than my local dealer. Surprisingly they have never heard of this problem, do not recognize the technical bulletin number (or service note number for that matter) and absolutely do not accept that people writing on owners' forums are credible sources to discuss problems of this nature.  :rolleyes  Also according to him, he has no way to confirm if the nut that I could order from them is either 9 mm or 12 mm thick (I guess it's normal that technical managers can't access design blueprints for spare parts   :lol ). Furthermore it will take until the end of March for him to get an answer from Yamaha Europe regarding the warranty.  :lol  Basically the dealer just discredited my whole problem, blamed me for it (until I told him that I changed the original factory chains and sprockets out, so the nut hadn't been touched since the factory) and now the importer is just saying all is well according to Yamaha's warranty systems.

Is it just me or am I being f*cked dry here?

Looks like I'll have to get nasty. Would anybody here have some kind of copy of the service note (2005-12A)? Or perhaps an email address to someone helpful in the Yamaha UK technical department?
I happened to find a nice pdf -file of the technical bulletin for R6s and FZ-6s. Does anybody here dare to call it official? I've added it as an attachment.

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2013, 09:42:16 pm »
Bump!... Anybody? Would really appreciate some advice.  :\

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2013, 11:02:43 pm »
Are you still trying to just get the new uprated nut? If so then I would potentially just bite the bullet and order it from somewhere such as Fowlers or Wemoto - cost me £14 ish from Wemoto

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2013, 11:40:49 am »
Well looks like the importer is going to be even more *sshole-ish than my local dealer. Surprisingly they have never heard of this problem, do not recognize the technical bulletin number (or service note number for that matter) and absolutely do not accept that people writing on owners' forums are credible sources to discuss problems of this nature.  :rolleyes  Also according to him, he has no way to confirm if the nut that I could order from them is either 9 mm or 12 mm thick (I guess it's normal that technical managers can't access design blueprints for spare parts   :lol ). Furthermore it will take until the end of March for him to get an answer from Yamaha Europe regarding the warranty.  :lol  Basically the dealer just discredited my whole problem, blamed me for it (until I told him that I changed the original factory chains and sprockets out, so the nut hadn't been touched since the factory) and now the importer is just saying all is well according to Yamaha's warranty systems.

Is it just me or am I being f*cked dry here?

Looks like I'll have to get nasty. Would anybody here have some kind of copy of the service note (2005-12A)? Or perhaps an email address to someone helpful in the Yamaha UK technical department?
I happened to find a nice pdf -file of the technical bulletin for R6s and FZ-6s. Does anybody here dare to call it official? I've added it as an attachment.

When I had the problem the third time, I rang the Yamaha importers and they were quick to inform me that it only related to the FZ600 and not the FZS 600. When I reminded them of the so called repair they did on mine they told me it was a one off.
My perserverance based on health and safety last September finally produced a result.
I would suggest a similar route for all
« Last Edit: 24 February 2013, 11:42:42 am by unfazed »