Date: 04-05-24  Time: 21:26 pm

Author Topic: Thinking of making a come back - Q's for Gen 2 owners.  (Read 1783 times)

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
Thinking of making a come back - Q's for Gen 2 owners.
« on: 19 June 2012, 08:39:23 am »
I am thinking of swapping my K5 1000 for a more upright bike but want the power and agility to still be up there.

What sort of mods and results can be achieved with Gen 2 on the output side? Can a R1 motor be flung at it for example?

Also, what are the suspension mods on the list to do?

Finally, anyone tried a Gen 2 and a B King which is also on my list?

Whale
« Last Edit: 19 June 2012, 03:22:58 pm by The Male Whale »
On the Gas! :stop

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Thinking a making a come back - Q's for Gen 2 owners.
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2012, 08:55:40 am »
Shame to get rid of the best gsxr they made k5 ! So have you thought about top yoke conversion loads of companies do them without the need to trim fairings as well and will give you the upright riding pos you want.

Dave

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking a making a come back - Q's for Gen 2 owners.
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2012, 11:58:47 am »
Favoured engine mods for the Gen 2 seem to be Power Commander (lots of good maps available from the US FZ1OA forum), airbox mod and BMC filter; de-cat the exhaust, fit different end can.  Possibly remove/disable the secondary throttle plates  and fit Ivan's FCE.  These generally are good for upwards of 140bhp and give decent power curve.  Still inclined to be top-endy, though, compared with the original Gen 1.  Some are getting into 'flashing' the original ECU but that's still a bit in its infancy for this model.

Stock suspension is budget quality stuff.  The 06 model shock was oversprung - later models have a softer spring.  Rebound adjustment only, IIRC.  Forks are fully adjustable but nothing special.  Popular mods are fit a better quality shock (the OE can't be upgraded) and slide in radial brake R1 fork legs.

Add it up and that's a lot of mod money required.  Dave's idea of higher bars on the Gixxer makes very good sense when you look at it that way. :)

wfbroddy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2012, 07:52:05 pm »
Add it up and that's a lot of mod money required.  Dave's idea of higher bars on the Gixxer makes very good sense when you look at it that way. :)

or buy a gen2 with the mods already done as wot I did  :D saves a pile of hassle

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
Re: Thinking of making a come back - Q's for Gen 2 owners.
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2012, 07:37:08 am »
Been taking a look at the top yoke kit and it looks a possibility!

Will certainly save money of front tyre wear.....

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2012, 08:50:24 am »

or buy a gen2 with the mods already done as wot I did  :D saves a pile of hassle

Ditto  :D

madog

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2012, 09:22:44 am »
Not tried a gen 2 but did have a  bking a couple of years ago.

Awesome bike, also has remarkable wind protection with the little screen fitted above the clocks.

Part of me wishes i'd kept it although the gen 1 can be riden in anger if chosen the bking can get a handful ( for me anyway  :) )

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2012, 07:49:18 am »
B king seems to  have become a bit of a cult bike, in similar way to how GSX 14 has. Slated in the press...but loved by owners.It has enuff bhp as stock IMO ( 164)...close to what a modded gen1 or gen2 will have at rear wheel ( 140)...so maybe no need to work on its engine. As such it could be  a tempting bike to buy and " personalize".
Without detriment to any gen2 owners, I think its a much harder route to mod a gen2, because of its engine tune. BUT , with gen2s coming on market for way under 5k.....it now must be seen as a possible buy , even with the  cost of immediate mods needed.However , whether it will make economic sense ref resale is another.I actually have thought about doing just this, and as Dek is on hols with me in July ...might pick his brains, ref project gen2 !

The abscence of any gen3, or indeed any development , also points to trying a gen2 or going elsewhere if you want a more " modern" machine. Gen1s now are mostly 7 to 8 yrs old, many have post 30k miles.....so maybe time for a gen2 resurgence ??