Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:27 pm

Author Topic: Renthal medium bars 755s or other sizes.  (Read 1710 times)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Renthal medium bars 755s or other sizes.
« on: 20 March 2017, 01:06:12 pm »
Anybody fitted these to their Gen. 1  or does everyone go for the ultra low bars. If you have fitted either did you keep the old cables and hoses. First decent ride on my 1000 at the weekend (after the 3 w s, waiting for it, work and weather) and the original bars are proper sh1te, not sure who they were designed to fit but it certainly wasn't a 5ft. 10 bloke with normal elbows. I definitely need less sweep, maybe a bit more height and a little bit closer to me I reckon? Apart from that, and the weather, what a lovely bike to ride.
All info. gladly received.
Cheers Gents.
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Renthal medium bars 755s or other sizes.
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2017, 02:42:08 pm »
Are the 755 the ones that are reasonably close to the originals in terms of reach etc? If so I fitted them to mine after mine got bent. I had the originals fitted with variobars bar lifters, because I needed to have the bars higher and closer to me (I get very painful shoulders after an hour or so) and longer hel brake lines but when I tried to fit the renthals the cables were far too tight so I had to take the variobars off. Using the original bar fittings and the renthals the cables are fine. I have not done a long ride since fitting them but am about too........

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2017, 03:56:32 pm »
The most popular choice seems to be the 758s,which I went for. However if you want to retain the stock end weights, which are quite heavy, you'll need to get the bar ends threaded as the stock weights screw in. The hoses and wiring can all be routed to fit ok. The required thread is 16mm @ 16 tpi. The bar end weighs are 308 grams
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2017, 04:48:31 pm »

758's are a good choice most seem to go with.
I fitted them last year, very pleased with them, better handing.
All controls fit and as said you can tap out ends to take standard or after market end weights.

No need to drill bar just tap out.  16mmx1.5 pitch
You will need to drill a hole in the right place for each control or file nib off controls and use tape.
I drilled holes so no chance of slip when glue on tape gets hot, but no one seems to have problems with tape.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2017, 05:09:38 pm »
Have a look at this thread, I posted a diagram showing the different options - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,19344.msg223771.html
« Last Edit: 20 March 2017, 05:11:36 pm by PieEater »

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2017, 09:13:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies fellas, still haven't made my mind up though.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2017, 03:33:44 pm »

758's are a good choice most seem to go with.
I fitted them last year, very pleased with them, better handing.
All controls fit and as said you can tap out ends to take standard or after market end weights.

No need to drill bar just tap out.  16mmx1.5 pitch
You will need to drill a hole in the right place for each control or file nib off controls and use tape.
I drilled holes so no chance of slip when glue on tape gets hot, but no one seems to have problems with tape.

Dustydes, did you have to coarse cut then fine cut the thread on the bars or just the fine, I can get a fine for £4 but a set for £14, wouldn't contemplate not doing a coarse if it was steel but it's girly alloy. Ordered the ultra lows working on the assumption that everyone else can't be wrong.
Cheers
Carl
« Last Edit: 09 April 2017, 03:36:29 pm by Carlsv8 »