Date: 01-05-24  Time: 05:01 am

Author Topic: A quick hello and a query regarding engine running after fitting ivans jet kit!!  (Read 1068 times)

yamaman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Hi all,
       just finished fitting a full monty kit to my gen 1 and am made up with results!  Just 1 quick query though, it is now not returning to idle quite as quick as before from approx 3-4 thousand rpm i.e a little loss of engine braking.  Any ideas or is this quite normal??

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Not normal, but couldn't tell you the cause.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
It eventually settles to idle at around 1250 - 1300rpm?

What happens when you rev the motor in neutral?  Does it settle back to idle or 'hang' around 2 - 3k rpm?

Is the throttle free-moving as before?  Do you have enough freeplay in the throttle cables? 

A hanging idle is usually caused by an air leak.  Are you sure that all the carbs are seated correctly in the intake stubs and the clamps snugged up nicely.  Not over-tightened ... this just crushes the spacer in the clamps.

Any cracking in the intake stubs?  Any chance you might have ground through when you were modifying them?

yamaman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Thanks for feedback falcon.  When throttle is blipped in neutral it settles back to idle pretty quickly.  It seems that it is a little more noticeable when ridden ie it seems to have lost some of the engine braking effect due to not shutting down absolutely immediately if that makes sense.  There are definitely no air leaks at intake Stubbs and throttle cables are returning properly.  I was thinking of possibly putting standard slide springs back in to see if that helps?  What are your thoughts?